Thread: Question about PPP

Post imported post

What if someone gave you a pistol as a gift without a pistol permit? Is that legal? Private gift? I thought I heard something like this being quasi legal outside of gun shows.

Post imported post

North Carolina law requires you to get a PPP regardless of whether the pistol is purchased, inherited, or gifted.

"Under North Carolina law, it is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell,
    give away, transfer, purchase, or receive, at any place in the state, any pistol, unless the
    purchaser or receiver has first obtained a license or permit to receive such a pistol by the
    sheriff of the county where the purchaser or receiver resides, or the purchaser or receiver
    possesses a valid North Carolina-issued concealed carry permit. This requirement to obtain a permit prior to the transfer of a pistol applies not only to a commercial transaction, typically at a sporting goods store, but also between private individuals or companies throughout North Carolina
    ." N.C. Gen. Stat. ยง 14-402(a)

Post imported post

Hmm ok so I have a CCP. Is there any documents that need to be done or is hand the pistol over and it is done? I mean are there any records?

Post imported post

If you have a NC CHP then there is no need for the PPP. You can just accept the transfer.

Personally, if you do not know the person who you are getting it from I'd want a dated receipt. But there is no legal requirement for a receipt. Just covers your ass.