• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about PPP

Lawmaker

imported post

What if someone gave you a pistol as a gift without a pistol permit? Is that legal? Private gift? I thought I heard something like this being quasi legal outside of gun shows.

Rugerp345

imported post

North Carolina law requires you to get a PPP regardless of whether the pistol is purchased, inherited, or gifted.

"Under North Carolina law, it is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell,
give away, transfer, purchase, or receive, at any place in the state, any pistol, unless the
purchaser or receiver has first obtained a license or permit to receive such a pistol by the
sheriff of the county where the purchaser or receiver resides, or the purchaser or receiver
possesses a valid North Carolina-issued concealed carry permit. This requirement to obtain a permit prior to the transfer of a pistol applies not only to a commercial transaction, typically at a sporting goods store, but also between private individuals or companies throughout North Carolina
." N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-402(a)

Rugerp345

imported post

If you have a NC CHP then there is no need for the PPP. You can just accept the transfer.

Personally, if you do not know the person who you are getting it from I'd want a dated receipt. But there is no legal requirement for a receipt. Just covers your ass.