• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

help a chickensh*t to OC?

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i posted in a couple thread that I was an OC virgin, id like to desensitize myself to OC, i guess gather the courage to OC in public. Any advice or would anyone want to meet up to help me desentize myself to OC?

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Start ocing around the house, and yard. Ill do a lap with you at great lakes crossing when youre ready. I have asthma, so it wont be a fast walk. At first it feels like you are carrying a big red flag that says "I have a gun", but it quickly goes away. Suprisingly few notice, and most of those who do, either want to talk about it, or thay assume you are LEO. Ive spoken to many who are interested, and even a few gun owners.

Know the gun free zones. Do you have a CPL?

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Start ocing around the house, and yard. Ill do a lap with you at great lakes crossing when youre ready. I have asthma, so it wont be a fast walk. At first it feels like you are carrying a big red flag that says "I have a gun", but it quickly goes away. Suprisingly few notice, and most of those who do, either want to talk about it, or thay assume you are LEO. Ive spoken to many who are interested, and even a few gun owners.

Know the gun free zones. Do you have a CPL?

I know the GFZ and I do have a CPL, ive CCed in a bank before and my buddy's party store...to the extent of 750.234d.

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Just want you to be safe. I got screwed with a little while ago under 28.425o
yeah, i did read that thread a while ago...and im aware of 28.425o...:) i contacted ya via pm...

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
imported post

yeah im actually thinking abt that, but i got some moose lodge obligations in the am...i may come down saturday afternoon.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

Im in Clinton Twp let me know the next time you have to go to the mall, or even a trip to Gander Mountain and Dicks Sporting Goods is a good start. They are very accepting of OC and would be an easy way to get use to OCing.

G

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
I was there, where were you?

What, never met a lib with an agenda before? I did, in court.

Just thought I would take a sec to point out that they are the reason we have to do what it is we do.
And, as a criminal, just what is it that you do?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
I was there, where were you?

What, never met a lib with an agenda before? I did, in court.

Just thought I would take a sec to point out that they are the reason we have to do what it is we do.
And, as a criminal, just what is it that you do?
Take the pissing match to PMs. No one else cares.

mcintosh02

imported post

I am also an OC chickensh*t.

I don't yet have my CPL (took the class, just haven't had time for the paperwork)

I live in the Grand Blanc area, but I work in Warren. Guess I'm just a little unsure about how/where/when to start. I still need to get a voice recorder too:)

CoonDog

imported post

I still consider myself an new member, having joined MOC last summer. One piece of advice that helped me get over the first hurdle was to adopt the mentality to look forward to my first encounter. If you set out expecting to get questions from folks at the store or even stopped by police, you'll be continually surprised when nothing happens. When you start out, you'll feel like your wearing a great big MWAG sign over your head. But, after a while, you'll begin to wonder if anyone even notices. It's a little funny, actually, here you are walking around in condition yellow and YOU notice everyone else, but to most of them, you may as well be invisible, even in plain sight.

My advice for a police encounter is the same: look forward to it. If you see an officer, why not approach them and ask if they are aware of their department's policy when they encounter an OCer. This is an opportunity to give your local LEOs a positive OC encounter without them on the "offensive" as you might encounter during their response to a MWAG call. Plus, you'll both have a casual attitude at the time that will serve to diffuse any concerns that he/she may otherwise have.

Let me be clear, I'm not trying to suggest that you go out in search of an officer. But if you happen to be in a place where you know one to be, then make the most of the opportunity and get the encounter out of the way. In this way, you won't have to wonder if the officer will be watching you and considering a stop.

This was my first LEO encounter. I knew beforehand that there would be at least one officer at the FH tea party on the 4th of July, so I went ahead and initiated the encounter. It couldn't have been more uneventful. This has been my only LEO encounter ever. I guess I'm one of the lucky OCer's who don't warrant stops and MWAG calls.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/28057.html

One last thought. For some reason, I'm always more at ease OCing with my kids around. This may be a combination of them softening the MWAG appearance and me no longer caring what others think when I've got them to look out for. Or maybe it's some other psychological reason to which I still have blinders. But in any event, if you have kids, take them out to the park and when you go to the store, etc.