• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for an AK

matt-fat@live.com

imported post

Know anyone who has an AK that they've been thinking to sell?

I was out lookingthe other day at a shop trying seeing what kinds I liked and found a nice Polish version with the under-folding stock. I also kinda like the look of the all-black versions. (so far it seems to be a running theme with my guns):)

underfolder2.jpg

I hear that they're very reliable, ammo is decent in price, they have that 'classic look', and plus I have a friend from Russia who'd be all excited if I got one and took him shooting (not to mention my dad or brother). I'm still trying to convince my friend to buy a gun. I think I'll eventually win. :cool:

I also hear that they're pretty easy to modify and customize. :celebrate

ak47-tactical.jpg
:celebrate

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Problem with modifying them is keeping the parts count.

You run the risk of becoming an instant felon because you put on a plastic grip made in China instead of the USA, for example...

I got rid of my AK for an AR for this exact reason.

That being said, there's nothing like taking off the furniture, putting it in the dishwasher to clean it, baking it in the oven to dry it, then lubing it up and reassembling it...

It's stupidly reliable.

Edited to add: I hope you realize how heavy these weapons are, another reason why I ditched it..

n16ht5

imported post

Keeping fhe parts count {922} is easy. Its only a few.

I would get a yugo M70 underfolder, it fits your bill and is super tough.

Aimsurplus.com or centerfiresystems.com

And use THguns.com {Todd Hildebrand} for the FFL transfer. $20 and he's a good guy

mb419

imported post

The parts count is easy. I believe that you need 6 compliance parts if the AK you have has a threaded barrel, and 5 if it doesn't. The parts are easy to change out. Stock, pistol grip, and handguard are 3, the fire-control group (hammer, trigger, sear) are 3 more, muzzle brake is another 1, piston is also another 1. These are the common parts replaced, and the easiest. Any combination to get to the count you need. If you need any info, check out the AK Files Forum. They have stickies on parts counts, compliance info, etc. The Yugos are nice AKs. I believe that they have the reinforced receiver.