• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Inherent Muzzle Control Problems And No Trigger Guard?...

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ok...

I think that some people mistook sarcasm for a serious statement.

The AR-15 doesn't have any form of muzzle control problem.That rifle is extremely stable when shot;much more stable and accurate than a handgun. Additionally, if it comes to the point where you have to actually fire your rifle, I don't think that this "inherent muzzle control problem" will be one's primary concern any longer.

And no trigger guard? I don't think I have ever seen an AR-15 without a trigger guard. As a matter of fact, I would think that the trigger guard on an AR is better than that of a common semi-auto handgun, due to the fact it is made of up of the large grip and magazine housing, offering a great deal of protection.

Additionally, every AR variant I have seen has a safety selector switch, which many handguns, including the extremely popular Glock and SA XD brands, do not.

Also, the statement was made: "How are you going to secure a rifle while eating dinner?" That is a silly statement, and could not be made in seriousness. By that standard, members of the U.S. Military should not be carrying a rifle, since the enemy might just stroll up and take that unsecured weapon while G.I. Joe is eating his MRE.

I think Mike was being facetious and sarcastic. I sure hope so.

Otherwise, he is just making a fool of himself, spouting off ignorance that one would expect from The Brady Bunch.

T Vance

imported post

If it was meant to be sarcastic it's very hard to tell. I mean that thread was "stickied" at the top of the forum, and not just "moved" here. He seems pretty serious to me about it with several other comments that were mentioned in the topic.

Such as...

"if were my restaurant I would have kicked the bunch out too"

and

"open carry is about normalizing gun ownership through properly holstered open carry of handguns"

But between those two sentences and what your wrote, that is EVERYTHING he wrote. So I don't think he was being sarcastic.

mastiff69

imported post

Please again ! would people please open your mind and read what is being written .

If a rifle is NOT in your hands, or in a controlled holster, then technically the muzzle is not being controlled.

two if you rethink the post the gun in a holster the trigger is covered by the holster,

then the trigger can not get pulled into discharging i believe that is what mike was trying to get across......

T Vance

imported post

mastiff69 wrote:
Please again ! would people please open your mind and read what is being written .

If a rifle is NOT in your hands, or in a controlled holster, then technically the muzzle is not being controlled.

two if you rethink the post the gun in a holster the trigger is covered by the holster,

then the trigger can not get pulled into discharging i believe that is what mike was trying to get across......

True, but keep in mind when you talk about muzzle control, it can be easily misconstued as "muzzle control due to recoil".

As far as the the trigger guard issue, like Phoenixphire pointed out, rifles have a "selector switch" making them somewhat safer than certain handguns.

I see it both ways. It's just hard to understand if people are being sarcastic on the internet, and Mike has not publicly clarified any of this (maybe he has PMed some people though).

G

imported post

T Vance wrote:
mastiff69 wrote:

True, but keep in mind when you talk about muzzle control, it can be easily misconstued as "muzzle control due to recoil".

As far as the the trigger guard issue, like Phoenixphire pointed out, rifles have a "selector switch" making them somewhat safer than certain handguns.

I see it both ways. It's just hard to understand if people are being sarcastic on the internet, and Mike has not publicly clarified any of this (maybe he has PMed some people though).
I am probably the most sarcastic person here. And let me tell you there was no sarcasim in his post whatsoever.

I believe he made it perfectly clear that long gun OC is not accepted by ocdo. There were no exclusions, no qualifiers, no exceptions.

I am a participant of ocdo and will abide by his rules. It is his house.

I may not like it but I am his guest here. That's my take on it. Call me a flip flopper, but I didn't know the position of ocdo, since it wasn't posted. Unlike MOC whic has always had handguns delineated in it's objectives.

Now, on my own, I will continue to conduct myself in whatever lawful manner I wish to.

T Vance

imported post

Mike
Super Moderator

I thought we decided to hell with that so long as it isn't illegal?
"You are joking, right?

It's probably legal in most states to handle your guns at the dinner table in teh retaurant - take them out and clean them, load them, rack the slide, etc. between dinner and desert - should people be urged to start doing that too?"

I'll assume he wasn't being sarcastic now.

G

imported post

dougwg wrote:
"Trigger cover"
That's not right either.

"Trigger cover" is what the Lone Ranger put on his horse.

Damn kids don't know nuttin'.