• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please critique behavior of open carrier stop by police VIDEO

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
I think I handled the situation well. What should I change the next time I'm confronted?

Video

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Audio complaints

first complaint

griffith complaint part 1

grifith complaint part 2

griffith complaint part 3

Video Part 1--not much happened here until almost the end. I did gather that you were walking along the side of the road with a handgun of some sort of gun in your hand. That strikes me as extremist behavior.

Video Part 2--You were clear about your objections. They apparently knew who you were. You were also a bit nervous, as evidenced by the rather odd argument of whether 1870 was actually "right after the Civil War." Your position was that it "was not right after the Civil War." Weird position. Nervousness. Provided a bit of insight about your mindset. You seemed totally prepared with your law cites. The officers were no match for you. Your objection against their running the s/n was stated clearly.

Video Part 3--An interesting question comes up, can someone legally shoot the gun in the hand carrier if they feel threatened? That doesn't seem to get resolved.

I think you won the encounter decisively on several dimensions. Whatwere your objectives for the encounter, kwik?

Do the next one in the day. It'd be easier to see the video.

Audio Complaints:

first complaint: Seemed like a calm, understanding and informed citizen noticing some odd behavior and calling it in. I don't know that I'd call it a "complaint." It was a requestfor the police to look into some behavior that wasobserved.

griffith complaint part 1: Again, a reasonable calm person (woman) informing the police of a man with a gun. She didn't"complain" in this part.

griffith complaint part 2: (same) woman and kidswere "scared" and wanted to know if the gun guy had been breaking into cars or houses.

griffith complaint part 3: (same) woman, again expressedbeing "scared." wanted to know if the gun guyhad shot somebody. the officer (sameofficerwho stopped kwik) gave explanation/opinion to woman thatkwik was trying to get a federal lawsuit against law enforcement. Woman seems to understand that kwik was trying to prove a point about right to bear arms. Officer prompts woman ("And you felt threatened?") and she agrees. She's an attorney and offers to help to "get him under control."

Whatwere your objectives for the encounter, kwik? Thoseare necessary to properly and fully critique how the detainment was handled.

Be specific.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

The OP is acting like a dxxx.

He knows his @#$%, no doubt.

But instead of a 'I'm carrying this way in protest because it's illegal to carry in a holster, it's just a political statement'... I hear 'it's my right, F#(%& YOU!'...

I think the officers were being pretty courteous considering the situation.

I think you're going to lose in court, because, and here's the thing...

ANY reasonable person would agree that a PISTOL CARRIED IN THE HAND is reasonably expected to be used at any moment, whereas a holster is designed for carry, a hand is designed for USE.

Hell, if I saw a guy walking down the street with a gun IN HIS HAND, I'd circle back to get a better look, and may call the police depending on the circumstances.

With every right comes responsibility. Instead of coming out as a person who's reasonable, you come off as a pxxxx who's trying to start @#$%.

Pulling the #%(& you pulled, you're 10x more likely to get the 'navy pistol open carry law' or whatever REPEALED than you are to get an 'OK to carry holstered' law INSTATED..

So, instead of the officer saying 'Hey, look, I appreciate your enthusiasm, we'll get this done together, but try not to do this in this manner because we're gonna get called out here.. blah blah blah'... The officer thinks you're a F'in nut and instead of going to bat for you is going to do what he can to STOP 'that nut' from doing #%(&.

CarryOpen

imported post

My understanding of this law is that he wants it repealed. The state's preemption means that if this law is repealed then he will be able to carry a handgun legally in a "normal" mode.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
My understanding of this law is that he wants it repealed. The state's preemption means that if this law is repealed then he will be able to carry a handgun legally in a "normal" mode.

He most likely could have gotten the ordinance repealed or amended by going before the city council and pointing out the sillyness of the ordinance, since the city doesn't enforce it anyway.

There was no need in pulling this stunt.

Did you all not here the male officer ask kwik if he had a holster for his pistol?

Belle Meade has a rather affluent population. There's probably between 100 to 200 (or more)residents of that community that has a HCP. You can't tell me that none of them carries some make of modern handgun, CC or OC, for SD.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
ufcfanvt wrote:
CarryOpen, I agree on all accounts.

I'm not familiar w/ TN laws at all. So you are BARRED from carrying IN A HOLSTER?

I mean, I support all carry rights, even loaded EBR's, but loaded handguns, in hands, is something I'd personally rather not see and I'm not ashamed to say that I'd go into Orange Alert and either Bug Out (preferably) or confront anyone who is carrying like that.

All that being said, IF that's your only allowable mode of carry, Right On Brother!

Please clarify if you will.

I didn't want this thread to be a discussion about the means of carry. I just wanted to get a critique of how the detainment was handled.

Yes, the ONLY legal manner to carry in that City is to carry an army or navy pistol openly in the hand. The section regarding weapons was last updated in 1987. So, about 23 years ago the City, and the residents choose to allow carry in that manner.

I think your means of carry may end up being a problem .... that you did not anticipate.

While you were doing your 20 questions routine with your summoned LEOs, the Griffith woman was passing by in her car and experienced, by her reckoning, some stress of having her and her kids see you with your Navy replica.

I'm not really sure about the applicable laws in Belle Meade/TN, but Griffith did seem interested and possibly motivated to get you "under control." I don't know what that means, actually. But motivated lawyers are something to worry about.

Maybe you'll catch a charge out of the deal.

We'll see.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
ufcfanvt wrote:
CarryOpen, I agree on all accounts.

I'm not familiar w/ TN laws at all. So you are BARRED from carrying IN A HOLSTER?

I mean, I support all carry rights, even loaded EBR's, but loaded handguns, in hands, is something I'd personally rather not see and I'm not ashamed to say that I'd go into Orange Alert and either Bug Out (preferably) or confront anyone who is carrying like that.

All that being said, IF that's your only allowable mode of carry, Right On Brother!

Please clarify if you will.

I didn't want this thread to be a discussion about the means of carry. I just wanted to get a critique of how the detainment was handled.

Yes, the ONLY legal manner to carry in that City is to carry an army or navy pistol openly in the hand. The section regarding weapons was last updated in 1987. So, about 23 years ago the City, and the residents choose to allow carry in that manner.

I think your means of carry may end up being a problem .... that you did not anticipate.

While you were doing your 20 questions routine with your summoned LEOs, the Griffith woman was passing by in her car and experienced, by her reckoning, some stress of having her and her kids see you with your Navy replica.

I'm not really sure about the applicable laws in Belle Meade/TN, but Griffith did seem interested and possibly motivated to get you "under control." I don't know what that means, actually. But motivated lawyers are something to worry about.

Maybe you'll catch a charge out of the deal.

We'll see.
if the law says, that particular type of firearm MUST be carried in your hand. then he was following the letter of the law & did nothing wrong. if he gets a ticket out of it take it to court and fight it... Someone who is driving at 45 MPH in their vehicle past a person doing nothing wrong is doing nothing wrong or threatening anyone. then she can complain all she wants too , kids in the care or not....maybe the OP should start calling in and complaining that he feels threatened every time a car drives past him too close. FREE SOCIETY MY AZZ.

CarryOpen

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
CarryOpen wrote:

He most likely could have gotten the ordinance repealed or amended by going before the city council and pointing out the sillyness of the ordinance, since the city doesn't enforce it anyway.

There was no need in pulling this stunt.

Did you all not here the male officer ask kwik if he had a holster for his pistol?

Belle Meade has a rather affluent population. There's probably between 100 to 200 (or more)residents of that community that has a HCP. You can't tell me that none of them carries some make of modern handgun, CC or OC, for SD.
I'm not saying his was the only way to go about it, but in reading the laws, it is the only mode in which one can carry in that town. My reply was to the person saying that the town will repeal carry or make it more restrictive. The point is that the town cannot make it more restrictive and if they choose to repeal their law they will make it less restrictive.

I've said elsewhere, I don't think that going out and trying to cause a disturbance is the best way to further our efforts. I do think that in this case he was in the right, however. It doesn't matter if they choose not to enforce their laws, carrying a firearm in any other means does appear to be illegal in that town.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Actually, he was wearing a reflective vest because that is also required BY ORDINANCE in Beale Meade.
Classic comment my the female officer... "Aww... he's wearin' a vest, I can't write him a ticket."

kwikrnu, I say good job. A little too much talking, but overall not too bad.

jeremy05

imported post

Why are cops allowed to be so fat. They should get docked pay or fired.

edit: Also yeah If you are doing this to get it repealed then good for you.

The Cop did have a point though. using his time of service hopefully its 5+ years, if he has never seen a MWAG in HAND that would be reasonable suspicion to stop you. I believe a jury would think so too. Just My Opinion.

After the cop decides you are not commiting a crime you should be free to go.

jeremy05

imported post

If, in all his experience he stopped a person for having purple hair because he had never seen purple hair, would that be RAS for a stop?

Well.. Purple hair isnt used to help commit a crime. Just saying, it can be one factor to get the cop to the RS standard, I dont know the cops totality of the circumstance but it can be used as one factor. You get enough little things and toss them in a basket you could end up with RS, all depends on how good the cop is at writing a report and how dumb the jury is, or smart.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Here are the reports.

howellreport.jpg

cortermiscreport.jpg

cortersupplementalreport.jpg

goinssupplementalreport.jpg

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Rugerp345 wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
I think I handled the situation well. What should I change the next time I'm confronted?

Take a cyanide pill and do us all a big favor.

It is uncalled for, and against the rules:

"5) While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will not tolerate personal attacks...[SNIP]"

Rugerp345

imported post

"Please critique behavior..."

Well, he ASKED FOR A CRITIQUE. If you ASK FOR a critique don't be mad if some people are CRITICAL.

Maybe he should edit his post to read "Tell me what a great job I did on this encounter"

CRITIQUE: Verb; derives from the Greek term kritikē (κριτική), meaning "(the art of) discerning"

1) Formal and casual criticisms of a work.

Rugerp345

imported post

OK. I'm editing my post...

KWIK: You did real good. I'm so proud of you. The way you handled yourself brought tears to my eyes. When I grow up I want to be like you and carry my orange painted assault rifle to the park, and walk down mainstreet with a weapon in my hand like Val Kilmer did in tombstone.

There. You satisfied?

I forgot: If I had a son I would want him to be just like you.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Rugerp345 wrote:
Well, he ASKED FOR A CRITIQUE.  If you ASK FOR a critique don't be mad if some people are CRITICAL.

Maybe he should edit his post to read  "Tell me what a great job I did on this encounter"

I don't understand why you are trying to justify what you said. It was inappropriate. Please read below for further clarification.

Main Entry: 2 critique
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): cri·tiqued : cri·tiqu·ing
Date: 1751
to examine critically : review <critique <critique the plan>

NCjones

imported post

AK @ State park, armed on main street, what next? 20mm chaingun at disneyland?

Since the forum rules don't allow criticism, I can't comment.