• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knights of Columbus Hall

bb

imported post

If u rent the banquet hall at a knights of columbus. The hall has it's own entrance, But also they have a bar located in the building that is seperate from the banquet room, Iwould assume this is private property, Do u have to OC or CC or get permission from owner.

Michigander

imported post

If it's the same building with the same owner, I don't believe it makes a difference, and the whole place is a bar.

If you have a CPL, you can OC, or CC with permission. No CPL would make it OC with permission only.

bb

imported post

Its one building but the hall is seperate from the bar area

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

T Vance wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
T Vance wrote:
bossbart wrote:
Its one building but the hall is seperate from the bar area
Doesn't matter.
How about for hotels that have a bar?

It does matter.
I was saying it doesn't matter. What Michigander stated still applies.

What I'm saying is that just because a hotel has a bar, doesn't make the whole hotel a PFZ.

I know that definitions from one statute don't apply to another, but here's where you gain insight into the legislative intent:

(5) "Bar" means a barrier or counter at which alcoholic liquor is sold to, served to, or consumed by customers.

A "tavern" is an explicitly licensed portion of a property where alcoholic drinks are sold by the glass for consumption on the premises. There exists a "tavern license" in Michigan. This is where the definition "tavern" applies.

A restaurant such as "Applebees" has a tavern license. Anywhere that alcohol is served qualifies as part of the tavern.

In this case, the Knights of Columbus hall likely qualifies as a part of the tavern, as alcohol is served in the "dining hall" area.

bb

imported post

We are renting the banquet part of the building, There is a seperate location upstairs that has a bar that serves alachol, I'm not sure if it is for members only or if anyoneis welcome, doI have to oc or canI cc if choose. I will only be in the banquet room.The whole building is knights of columbus

sprinklerguy28

imported post

Remember CC restrictions are if it is the primary source of income. If the hall makes more money from the rental, food and other services CC is okay. Also I know at some halls those that rented the hall bring their own alcohol and pay a bartender to serve it. As long as alcohol is not being sold or is primary source of income CC is legal. This applies to any place that serves alcohol. At hotels you need to be careful. Sometimes the bar is legally a separate business operated inside the hotel. In which case their license applies to just the "bar" area and not the hotel.