Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brady Campaign is at it again! Now trying to push Starbucks into ban firearms!

Post imported post

I just found this alert from the Brady Campaign:
    http://www.bradynetwork.org/site/Mes...?em_id=39701.0

Tell Starbucks: Keep Guns Out of its Coffee Shops

Dear Friend,

Over the past few months, more and more gun owners have been gathering at restaurants and coffee shops like Starbucks with guns strapped to their hips, intimidating fellow patrons.

Businesses can legally prohibit guns from being carried in their establishments – and so far, Peet's Coffee & Tea and California Pizza Kitchen have heeded customer concerns and barred the open carrying of guns.

But Starbucks is refusing to prohibit the open carrying of firearms in its stores, despite protests from loyal customers.

Click here to sign the petition to let Starbucks know that you want them to stand up for the safety of their customers and adopt a nationwide, gun-free policy in all Starbucks stores

Because of Starbucks' refusal, the Brady Campaign has teamed up with CREDO Action to tell Starbucks to keep guns out of its coffee shops.

The practice of packing heat in places like Starbucks is intimidating and could be potentially dangerous to our families and communities – and it must be stopped.

It's everyone's right to sit in a restaurant or coffee shop with their families without intimidation or fear of guns, either concealed or openly carried.

Under the law, Starbucks has the right to adopt a gun-free policy, with an exception for uniformed police officers. Such a policy can easily be implemented in most cases by putting up signs at store entrances.

We need to tell Starbucks to bar guns in its stores. These individuals who have been carrying guns into Starbucks have all the firepower of a SWAT team, and none of the law enforcement training.

Please sign the petition to Starbucks today!

Sincerely,

Paul Helmke, President
    Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
    Please go to the Starbucks Contact Us page and tell them what YOU think!

http://www.starbucks.com/customer/co...rms.asp?nav=3e

Here's my letter (please don't copy it, write your own!)

Greetings,

I have seen that the Brady Campaign to "Prevent Gun Violence" is urging people to sign an on-line petition to send to Howard Schultz, President and Chief Executive Officer of Starbucks, asking that the company deny customers their right to keep and bear arms at Starbucks establishments. Here is the link to their plea, citing things such as imaginary rights that don't really exist, and trying to demonize good, peaceably armed citizens.
    http://www.bradynetwork.org/site/Mes...?em_id=39701.0

I am writing you to tell you that I appreciate Starbucks current policy not prohibiting firearms at its establishments, and hope you will continue to remain either neutral on this issue, or supportive of the true right of self-defense for your loyal customers.

I urge Starbucks not to give in to the Brady Campaign's petition and ban firearms at Starbucks locations. My family and I do not patronize businesses that are hostile to the right to keep and bear arms.

Thanks.
    Make sure and tell EVERYONE you know to send a comment to Starbucks urging them to support the right of their local customers to keep and bear arms!

...Orygunner...

Post imported post

It never ceases to amaze me how these anti's characterize simply exercising your RIGHTS as an act of intimidation. Using their logic (if you can call it that) exercising your 1A rights, by going to a library to read a book or simply going to church, is an act of intimidation...these morons need to get a grip.

Post imported post

It's everyone's right to sit in a restaurant or coffee shop with their families without intimidation or fear of guns, either concealed or openly carried.

fully_armed_biker wrote:
    It never ceases to amaze me how these anti's characterize simply exercising your RIGHTS as an act of intimidation. Using their logic (if you can call it that) exercising your 1A rights, by going to a library to read a book or simply going to church, is an act of intimidation...these morons need to get a grip.
    Actually, they make a pretty good case.

If a restaurant/coffee place starts letting people come in armed and OCing.....uhm...how much longer will it be until someone starts coming in with an AR-15 strapped on his back?

Well, it could happen, couldn't it?

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Starbucks has already replied to this and have stated they will follow state law. Brady campaign is not to happy about this.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/37014.html
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

HankT wrote:

If a restaurant/coffee place starts letting people come in armed and OCing.....uhm...how much longer will it be until someone starts coming in with an AR-15 strapped on his back?

And what's the problem with someone sitting and drinking coffee with a rifle slung over their shoulder?

How is that the fault of the gun owner if someone else is intimidated by their holstered or slung firearm?

"It's everyone's right to sit in a restaurant or coffee shop with their families without intimidation or fear of guns, either concealed or openly carried."
    There is no such right to feel safe. There is no such right to not feel fear. The intimidation is ONLY in the mind of the person that has an irrational fear, and should have absolutely no effect on the exercise of someone else's rights.

For example: If someone is intimidated by these women, whose problem is it?

...Orygunner...

Post imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
    Starbucks has already replied to this and have stated they will follow state law. Brady campaign is not to happy about this.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/37014.html
    I searched for Starbucks in the forums and missed that one.

This IS a new, different push than the one mentioned in the CalGuns forum. That was a push by a STATE Brady Campaign chapter, this is from the big man himself, Paul Helmke, as a National attempt. We all STILL need to put in our comments to make sure Starbucks understands in no uncertain terms what people who value their rights think.

...Orygunner...

Post imported post

Actually...No, they don't! But, I wouldn't expect you understand it anymore than they do...you being one of them So, the mere presence of an inanimate object is an act of intimidation? Not hardly! If it were out of it's holster and being waved around...definitely; but, just being present?Not even close!

If a restaurant/coffee place starts letting people come in armed and OCing...

It's not a matter of "starting" to let people come in armed...they do so, RIGHT NOW...and have for at least the 8 months or so I've been OC'ing! I'm not respnsible for others' irrational fears of inanimate objects...that's their problem.

Peddle your fear mongering elsewhere Hank!

Post imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
    Actually, they make a pretty good case.*
    Actually...No, they don't!* But, I wouldn't expect you understand it anymore than they do...you being one of them* So, the mere presence of an inanimate object is an act of intimidation?* Not hardly!* If it were out of it's holster and being waved around...definitely; but, just being present?**Not even close!*

It's not a matter of "starting" to let people come in armed...they do so, RIGHT NOW...and have for at least the 8 months or so I've been OC'ing!* I'm not respnsible for others' irrational fears of inanimate objects...that's their problem.

Biker, please try to keep your emotion in check and keep this civil. I well understand it's difficult sometimes when discussing this issue with some people, but don't insult...

I wouldn't say it's "fear mongering," because he's not actually trying to make anyone fear anything... I think it may be more along the lines that he gives people's fear more weight and gives them more rights than they should have...

HankT, Obviously, someone doesn't have a right to threaten another innocent person with physical harm. I would expect anyone reading this thread would agree with that statement, wouldn't we?

So, do you think one person's fear should be able to infringe on another innocent person's inalienable rights, when that other person has made no threatening actions towards the fearful person?

...Orygunner...

Post imported post

Did you see the video of the reporter announcing Starbucks Policy on T.V.? I loved that one. You know she called hoping to get a "goodness gracious no, guns are bad" response. You can just see it in her face she didn't get the response she was wanting.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Post imported post

Did you see the video of the reporter announcing Starbucks Policy on T.V.? I loved that one. You know she called hoping to get a "goodness gracious no, guns are bad" response. You can just see it in her face she didn't get the response she was wanting.
    You'd better post a link to the video or it didn't happen

Please?

(I looked through the CalGuns thread and couldn't find a video for it).

...Orygunner...

Post imported post

but don't insult...
    Nothing written in my post was insulting anyone...just calling a spade, a spade.

I wouldn't say it's "fear mongering," because he's not actually trying to make anyone fear anything...

Well...in my opinion he's trying to make people afraid (or at least supporting the Brady bunch's stance of trying to make people afraid) that if establishments allow people to exercise their RIGHTS in their places of business, it will escalate into roving bands of patrons carrying "Evil Black Rifles"...peddling the irrational fears of the anti-gun lobby with misinformation.

Post imported post

Orygunner wrote:
    You'd better post a link to the video or it didn't happen

Please?

(I looked through the CalGuns thread and couldn't find a video for it).

...Orygunner...
    Yep you are right here you go...it should really be in hot topics, our brothers in California are putting up a much harder fight than most of us.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...amp;id=7248503

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/37363.html

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    Only if that is a case you support. Obviously you do.

Post imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
    Actually...No, they don't! But, I wouldn't expect you understand it anymore than they do...you being one of them So, the mere presence of an inanimate object is an act of intimidation? Not hardly! If it were out of it's holster and being waved around...definitely; but, just being present?Not even close!

It's not a matter of "starting" to let people come in armed...they do so, RIGHT NOW...and have for at least the 8 months or so I've been OC'ing! I'm not respnsible for others' irrational fears of inanimate objects...that's their problem.

Odd, FAB, that you would excerpt my sentence above. What I said was this:

HankT wrote:

Gee, it's not like you would intentionally take my statement and cut out the most important part, eh? I'm sure it was just a keyboard malfunction.

Do you know what a strawman argument is FAB? Obviously, you know how to craft one...

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

So I guess this is the new tactic of the Brady Bunch, since nothing else they were doing was working. Go after the big national restaurants(or all big retail businesses) and try to get them to institute gun bans in their locations. Interesting.

Post imported post

I'm not a coffee or a cider drinker... what do they have that I might like?

TFred

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I'm not a coffee drinker either but I've had their hot chocolate - it's very good.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    fully_armed_biker wrote:

Odd, FAB, that you would excerpt my sentence above. What I said was this:

HankT wrote:

Gee, it's not like you would intentionally take my statement and cut out the most important part, eh? I'm sure it was just a keyboard malfunction.

Do you know what a strawman argument is FAB? Obviously, you know how to craft one...

Considering your ENTIRE post was still up in this thread, I didn't feel I needed to quote the entire post...especially sincethe partI quoted is what I was addressing...but, again, I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

ETA: Do you know what a deflective argument is? YOU certainly do know how to craft one...

Post imported post

TFred wrote:

TFred
    In addition to coffee, they've got tea, hot chocolate, smoothies, baked goods, etc. Not cheap, of course, but nice for the occasional treat.

I am a coffee drinker, but apparently I've ruined my palate. I only like el-cheapo coffee now - can't stand Starbucks coffee.

Post imported post

Riana wrote:
    TFred wrote:

TFred
    In addition to coffee, they've got tea, hot chocolate, smoothies, baked goods, etc. Not cheap, of course, but nice for the occasional treat.

I am a coffee drinker, but apparently I've ruined my palate. I only like el-cheapo coffee now - can't stand Starbucks coffee.
    Ha ha, well that's good for your pocketbook. I've heard it's pretty strong stuff.

TFred

Post imported post

HankT wrote:

Gee Hank,isn't that what YOU been doing all these years?

Post imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
    HankT wrote:

Gee Hank,isn't that what YOU been doing all these years?
    Show me one example, NSL.

Ought to be easy to find, yes?

Post imported post

It looks like the pathetic brady clowns are mad at even their would be hero, Obama. The irrelevant bradys gave Barrack an "F" rating for what they claim was his failure to take advantage of a Democrat House and Senate and pass morerestrictions on private firearm ownership. The anti-gun zealots danced the streets after Obama's victory, how quickly they turned on their chosen one.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

...and Republicans deserve an "F" for avoiding pushing PRO gun action when THEY were the majority.

Both parties are useless...

-- John D.
    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast