• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What If?....

sovereigngrace

imported post

What If you are oc'ing and you have to go somewhere thats posted, or a school or some place like that. Where is the best place to stash your firearm in your car?
I Don't want to leave it out in the open where someone could see it/steal it

chiefjason

imported post

I have a locking pistol box in my truck. Or under the seat in my van. But at a school it's a no no even in the car. You would need to park off the property to leave it in the car.

You can get a locking box pretty cheap. I bolted mine to the floor behind the driver seat. You can bolt them in the trunk as well. I have heard that some folks lock them to the seat rails so they don't have to bolt them in. Lot's of options. A locking glove box would work too. I prefer not to leave mine loose in the car unless there is no other choice, ie in my van. I need to get a box for it.

CarryOpen

imported post

Your car locks and you will be outside of the car, so you can lock the gun anywhere in the car you like, hidden or not. It's only while you're in the car in proximity to the weapon that it becomes "concealed". You can also lock it in the trunk, which is what I did when I had a trunk. Not that a lock box is a bad idea, just want it understood that it is not illegal to "conceal" your weapon in a locked car that you don't occupy.

jp49911

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
Your car locks and you will be outside of the car, so you can lock the gun anywhere in the car you like, hidden or not. It's only while you're in the car in proximity to the weapon that it becomes "concealed". You can also lock it in the trunk, which is what I did when I had a trunk. Not that a lock box is a bad idea, just want it understood that it is not illegal to "conceal" your weapon in a locked car that you don't occupy.
It sounds as if he's more concerned with the best place to leave it to avoid theft vs whether or not he's concealing (he very well my have a chp).

With that, I would think anywhere out of site is fine. If you lock your car, the glove box (locked or not) should work.

CarryOpen

imported post

I got the impression that he felt the firearm had to be open because he said he didn't want to have to leave it where someone could see it. You're quite right that he may have a CHP. I just thought it should be clarified that one does not have to leave the firearm visible if it is not on or about their person to stay out of trouble regarding concealing a weapon.

jp49911

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
I just thought it should be clarified that one does not have to leave the firearm visible if it is not on or about their person to stay out of trouble regarding concealing a weapon.
Correct. Pertinent info for any who may have needed clarity on this :)

sovereigngrace

imported post

Thanks for the info.
I don't have a CCP, CWP,CHP, or any other permit.
Thats why I was wondering if I could conceal it in my car if i'm not in it.

Never thought of bolting a case down, but I have a pretty small truck and no where not lay it flat and out of sight. so I guess I'll lock it in a case and put it upright behind the seat.

REX681959

imported post

sovereigngrace wrote:
What If you are oc'ing and you have to go somewhere that's posted, or a school or some place like that. Where is the best place to stash your firearm in your car?
I Don't want to leave it out in the open where someone could see it/steal it
Hate to tell you but no one other than LEO can have a weapon on school grounds. I might be wrong but I think if you are caught it's a felony.

Rugerp345

imported post

I found one of those cash boxes at WalMart like you use at yard sales to put money in. I got one without the coin trays. It is metal and has a key. I bolted it down behind the seat and lined it with the foam rubber that you can buy at lowes to line your tool box trays. Whenever I have to go to the P.O. or someplace where I have to leave my piece in the truck, it gets locked up in the box. total investment was less than 30 bucks.

Sam

imported post

I thought the Post Office was off limits just as schools are. Not even allowed to leave it in your car. You must park off of the property or leave it at home. Am I wrong?

ocgso

imported post

Glove box or center console (if you have one) are where I leave mine. No modifications needed and if you lock the car doors with the gun out of sight, who will know it is there.

Sam

imported post

ocgso wrote:
Glove box or center console (if you have one) are where I leave mine. No modifications needed and if you lock the car doors with the gun out of sight, who will know it is there.
Surely you don't mean this is ok to do in a school parking lot do you?

ocgso

imported post

No I mean a private posted business.......school property is illegal no matter where you store it (I work at a school).

The easiest way to avoid this is to not shop at private businesses that are posted and not to go on school property when you have a gun.