Thread: LE Contact during OC...

Post imported post

At AM/PM, I ran into a pair of Monterey County Sheriff's Deputies. They were in the corner enjoying coffee on a break. I imagine they were beat partners because they arrived in separate cars.

I saw that they had taken notice of me, and didn't wait for them to approach. I approached them and had an entire conversation before even coming to what I thought was going to be an e-check. Turns out they just wanted to see the weapon (in the holster) because it was something they hadn't seen. They explained to me that because of my dress and demeanor, they didn't deem a check to be necessary. They had a "why stir the pot" attitude toward OC given certain parameters.

At no time did they blade their stance while speaking with me. The asked the following questions:

1. Have you been stopped before? Yes
    2. Was it a good experience? Yes
    3. How would YOU handle a traffic stop? I guess I gave a good answer
    4. Do you have POST? Expired
    5. What's your app status? Talking with backgrounds, etc.

They told me that they'd seen a memo that gang members are becoming aware of the OC movement, and trying to take weapons off of OCers...to be careful. Watch your back because they may follow you home to break in and steal the weapon. This was their only admonishment.

From beginning to end, this was a positive contact.
    "Most people respect the badge. Everybody... respects the gun."

Post imported post

Excellent!

This pretty much sums up every experience I've had. No e-checks for me still. However, I've been limiting OC to home only in accordance with the CGF standdown request.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar

Post imported post

Very nice! Peace officers using reasonable judgment in California! We may turn things around yet.

Post imported post

I don't believe I've seen the point about bangers following individuals home to find where they can steal weapons brought up on this board before.

This concern led me to remove NRA, S&W and Ruger decals from my car.

Post imported post

Guy B. Meredith wrote:
    I don't believe I've seen the point about bangers following individuals home to find where they can steal weapons brought up on this board before.

This concern led me to remove NRA, S&W and Ruger decals from my car.
    Kinda makes sense I guess, all I can say is I hope I'm home to protect my property if they do.

Post imported post

I'd like to see the citation for the gangmembers. I assume he was repeating something he read from an internal memo. Could simply be FUD as well.
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

"Live Free or Die"

Post imported post

wewd wrote:
    I'd like to see the citation for the gangmembers. I assume he was repeating something he read from an internal memo. Could simply be FUD as well.
    It definitely sounds like it to me, because it has got to be easier to go pick up something on the street, than try to steal it from somebody who they definitely know is already armed. And as has been stated many times, criminals generally go for the easiest methods rather than the clearly risky ones.

Post imported post

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar

Post imported post

That's fast! This clip makes me think about the argument of concealed carry and picking your moment to surprise the bad guy that your capable of defending yourself. The lesson here...don't take too long, it could be over before you know it.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

Post imported post

That WAS fast. Let's get that SA up, guys and dolls.

Post imported post

OPS MARINE wrote:
    That WAS fast. Let's get that SA up, guys and dolls.
    "SA" ???
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

Post imported post

Situational Awareness.

Post imported post

Anybody can get the drop on you even if you're generally aware of your surroundings. To me, this video highlights the need for quick, decisive, deliberate action without hesitation when confronted by an unknown threat. This video is a prime example of just how fast a bad situation can become a deadly one.If you're not prepared beforehand, it may not make a hill of beans difference if you're an open carrier, concealed carrier, or not carrying at all.

Post imported post

I wish my experience was like this, instead of having 4 officers and 2 with the guns drawn, handcuffed, illegally searched and ID'ed. But I have to admit most LEOs are picking up on this, and realize that we are on the good side, just like them.