• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LE Contact during OC...

OPS MARINE

imported post

At AM/PM, I ran into a pair of Monterey County Sheriff's Deputies. They were in the corner enjoying coffee on a break. I imagine they were beat partners because they arrived in separate cars.

I saw that they had taken notice of me, and didn't wait for them to approach. I approached them and had an entire conversation before even coming to what I thought was going to be an e-check. Turns out they just wanted to see the weapon (in the holster) because it was something they hadn't seen. They explained to me that because of my dress and demeanor, they didn't deem a check to be necessary. They had a "why stir the pot" attitude toward OC given certain parameters.

At no time did they blade their stance while speaking with me. The asked the following questions:

1. Have you been stopped before? Yes
2. Was it a good experience? Yes
3. How would YOU handle a traffic stop? I guess I gave a good answer
4. Do you have POST? Expired
5. What's your app status? Talking with backgrounds, etc.

They told me that they'd seen a memo that gang members are becoming aware of the OC movement, and trying to take weapons off of OCers...to be careful. Watch your back because they may follow you home to break in and steal the weapon. This was their only admonishment.

From beginning to end, this was a positive contact.

mjones

imported post

Excellent!

This pretty much sums up every experience I've had. No e-checks for me still. However, I've been limiting OC to home only in accordance with the CGF standdown request.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Very nice! Peace officers using reasonable judgment in California! We may turn things around yet.

Guy B. Meredith

imported post

I don't believe I've seen the point about bangers following individuals home to find where they can steal weapons brought up on this board before.

This concern led me to remove NRA, S&W and Ruger decals from my car.

Cameron

imported post

Guy B. Meredith wrote:
I don't believe I've seen the point about bangers following individuals home to find where they can steal weapons brought up on this board before.

This concern led me to remove NRA, S&W and Ruger decals from my car.

Kinda makes sense I guess, all I can say is I hope I'm home to protect my property if they do.

wewd

imported post

I'd like to see the citation for the gangmembers. I assume he was repeating something he read from an internal memo. Could simply be FUD as well.

Cameron

imported post

wewd wrote:
I'd like to see the citation for the gangmembers. I assume he was repeating something he read from an internal memo. Could simply be FUD as well.

It definitely sounds like it to me, because it has got to be easier to go pick up something on the street, than try to steal it from somebody who they definitely know is already armed. And as has been stated many times, criminals generally go for the easiest methods rather than the clearly risky ones.

coolusername2007

imported post

That's fast! This clip makes me think about the argument of concealed carry and picking your moment to surprise the bad guy that your capable of defending yourself. The lesson here...don't take too long, it could be over before you know it.

coolusername2007

imported post

Anybody can get the drop on you even if you're generally aware of your surroundings. To me, this video highlights the need for quick, decisive, deliberate action without hesitation when confronted by an unknown threat. This video is a prime example of just how fast a bad situation can become a deadly one.If you're not prepared beforehand, it may not make a hill of beans difference if you're an open carrier, concealed carrier, or not carrying at all.

oc3068

imported post

I wish my experience was like this, instead of having 4 officers and 2 with the guns drawn, handcuffed, illegally searched and ID'ed. But I have to admit most LEOs are picking up on this, and realize that we are on the good side, just like them.