• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Brady Campaign Intimidation of Starbucks

yelohamr

imported post

This was posted at The High Road.us http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=416055

The OP posted an email he got:

"Over the past few months, more and more gun owners have been gathering at restaurants and coffee shops like Starbucks with guns strapped to their hips, intimidating fellow patrons.

Businesses can legally prohibit guns from being carried in their establishments – and so far, Peet's Coffee & Tea and California Pizza Kitchen have heeded customer concerns and barred the open carrying of guns.

But Starbucks is refusing to prohibit the open carrying of firearms in its stores, despite protests from loyal customers.

Click here to sign the petition to let Starbucks know that you want them to stand up for the safety of their customers and adopt a nationwide, gun-free policy in all Starbucks stores

Because of Starbucks' refusal, the Brady Campaign has teamed up with CREDO Action to tell Starbucks to keep guns out of its coffee shops.

The practice of packing heat in places like Starbucks is intimidating and could be potentially dangerous to our families and communities – and it must be stopped.

It's everyone's right to sit in a restaurant or coffee shop with their families without intimidation or fear of guns, either concealed or openly carried.

Under the law, Starbucks has the right to adopt a gun-free policy, with an exception for uniformed police officers. Such a policy can easily be implemented in most cases by putting up signs at store entrances.

We need to tell Starbucks to bar guns in its stores. These individuals who have been carrying guns into Starbucks have all the firepower of a SWAT team, and none of the law enforcement training. "

Cameron

imported post

Well, I'll continue to support Starbucks as long as they remain Pro-2A. But I'm definitely going to make a point to drop a note in their comment box every time I go to my local Starbucks to make sure that they are aware that I go there because of their Pro-2A policy. Or at least, their lack of Anti-2A policies....

Gundude

imported post

yelohamr wrote:
This was posted at The High Road.us http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=416055

It's everyone's right to sit in a restaurant or coffee shop with their families without intimidation or fear of guns, either concealed or openly carried.

We need to tell Starbucks to bar guns in its stores. These individuals who have been carrying guns into Starbucks have all the firepower of a SWAT team, and none of the law enforcement training. "
I don't think SWAT teams carry .380's. Intimidation and fear of guns? They even fear guns they can't see. I wonder why they aren't working to get criminals off the street, instead of taking guns from law abiding citizens. I read somewhere that most crimes are comitted by repeat offenders.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This isn't just California they are after. It's the entire country, and concealed carry also. This thread should be mirrored in other state's forums or a global forum.

Cameron

imported post

Gundude wrote:
yelohamr wrote:
This was posted at The High Road.us  http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=416055

I don't think SWAT teams carry .380's. Intimidation and fear of guns? They even fear guns they can't see. I wonder why they aren't working to get criminals off the street, instead of taking guns from law abiding citizens. I read somewhere that most crimes are comitted by repeat offenders.

No, LA Swat for example (since 2002) carries Kimber LAPD SWAT Custom II's (basically a Kimber Custom TLE II) as a sidearm. But many of them also carry MP5s, M4A1s, and other rifles that are basically impossible for a Californian to legally own, let alone open carry, due to their 3-round burst or fully automatic modes.

Does this conversation make anyone else want to leave the state? The double standard is very annoying. Why the police/government has more rights than a citizen is completely beyond my understanding.

Gundude

imported post

Cameron wrote:
Gundude wrote:
yelohamr wrote:

No, LA Swat for example (since 2002) carries Kimber LAPD SWAT Custom II's (basically a Kimber Custom TLE II) as a sidearm. But many of them also carry MP5s, M4A1s, and other rifles that are basically impossible for a Californian to legally own, let alone open carry, due to their 3-round burst or fully automatic modes.

Does this conversation make anyone else want to leave the state?
I'm not leaving till I'm to old to fight.

Cameron

imported post

Gundude wrote:
Cameron wrote:
Gundude wrote:
yelohamr wrote:
This was posted at The High Road.us  http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=416055

Does this conversation make anyone else want to leave the state?
I'm not leaving till I'm to old to fight.

hahaha, yeah I understand your point of view. I'm kinda stuck here anyway, due to my work. But I would love to leave if I could. My reasoning is that I'm young enough to enjoy the new found freedoms rather than expending the energy to fight. Though I guess that would mean that the Fascists would win, a thought I don't enjoy either.

yelohamr

imported post

Sent mine.

In the past, I have stopped at Starbucks a few times while meeting with other members of California Open Carry. Since your company is resisting the Brady Campaign to disarm your customers that legally open carry holstered firearms, I will be patronizing yoiur stores more often.

Gundude

imported post

yelohamr wrote:
Sent mine.

In the past, I have stopped at Starbucks a few times while meeting with other members of California Open Carry. Since your company is resisting the Brady Campaign to disarm your customers that legally open carry holstered firearms, I will be patronizing yoiur stores more often.
Dun sent mine.

mjones

imported post

It has come to my attention that Starbucks has been approached by the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence in order to publically pressue Starbucks to create a corporate-wide policy prohibiting that lawful carrying of firearms in your stores.

Please continue your existing policy of abiding by local state/city laws which support the rights of the lawful to carry firearms in your stores.

dirtykoala

imported post

To whom it may concern, Paul V.,

In mid Sept. of 2009 you and I were in contact regarding meopen carrying my firearm at the Sunnyvale, CA, Cherry Orchard Starbucks. I want to thank you for your efforts then to resolve my issue, I think we both learned a good amount about your policy. I'm aware that there are organizations that have contacted you in an effort to encourage your company to ban the legal possession of firearms in your establishment. Thank you for maintaining your current policy todefer to local, state, and federal laws.

I realize that youare concerned for thesafetyof your customers and partners. Take note that across this country people frequent your establishments while armed everyday. How often is there a firearms related incident involving a law-abiding gun owner? If you choose to ban firearms in your establishments, I firmly believe it will havea negativeeffect on safety, criminals will still be criminals, they will not respect a sign that says "no firearms". Instead of a safer environment, a ban on firearm possession will likely create a "safe haven" for criminals to do their dirty work without resistance.

I am respectfully asking that you please maintain your current firearm policy. I visit Starbucks at least 4 times a week as is, on the days that I do not visit, I brew Starbucks at home. I have never enjoyed Peets coffee andsince their firearms ban, I have asked everyone I know not to patronize them, as I will not.

Please don't make me drink Folgers!

Thank you,

dirtykoala

imported post

Lol. The Brady campaign has themselves as a reference to their info!!

Gundude

imported post

Here is the message in the petition.

"I demand that Starbucks stand up for the safety of its customers and prohibit guns in your retail establishments. Guns don't belong in restaurants and coffee shops where children and families gather. You have the legal right to keep your coffee shops free from guns. The recent push among some gun owners to carry openly displayed guns, strapped to their hips, is intimidating and potentially dangerous. It puts families and law enforcement officers at risk. Reverse your unwise decision and keep our families safe."

Little do they know that a Starbucks with open carriers there would be the safest place in town. Just more "fear fear fear"

I wonder how many fake signatures they will add to their petition?