Thread: Action is faster than reaction?

Post imported post

Have you ever noticed that the first cowboy to draw his gun in a Hollywood Western is invariably the one to get shot? Nobel prize–winning physicist Niels Bohr did, once arranging mock duels to test the validity of this cinematic curiosity. Following Bohr's example, researchers have now confirmed that people move faster if they are reacting to another person's movements than if they are taking the lead themselves. The findings may one day inspire new therapies for patients with brain damage, the team speculates.
    http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi...ull/2010/203/1

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

grishnav wrote:
    Have you ever noticed that the first cowboy to draw his gun in a Hollywood Western is invariably the one to get shot? Nobel prize–winning physicist Niels Bohr did, once arranging mock duels to test the validity of this cinematic curiosity. Following Bohr's example, researchers have now confirmed that people move faster if they are reacting to another person's movements than if they are taking the lead themselves. The findings may one day inspire new therapies for patients with brain damage, the team speculates.
    http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi...ull/2010/203/1
    Thank You, I have been looking for a cite on this since my discussion with one of Bellingham's Deputy Chiefs.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

That is incredibly interesting!

Post imported post

For devotees of Hollywood Westerns, however, the results might be disappointing. Although players reacting to an opponent's draw completed the sequence more quickly, they still didn't win the duel because the increase in speed wasn't sufficient to make up the time they lost by starting later. In this experiment, the good guy lost

Post imported post

Remember shot people will continue to fight even if fataly shot. So even if you shoot the BG 1st he can still kill you. Real gun fights are not like the movies.
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

Post imported post

Orphan wrote:
    Remember shot people will continue to fight even if fataly shot. So even if you shoot the BG 1st he can still kill you. Real gun fights are not like the movies.
    Yep. I had watched video and seen many pictures of what is going on in Iraq that confirms that. Just ask any of our boys who had to endure close encounter combat, and they will tell you the same.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Post imported post

Many studies on this issue and the one I feel is the closest is called the OODA Loop as it will take approximately 1/3 of a second for one to act in an incident. Remember this is not an incident where you are standing in a lab or the gym waiting for something to happen, it is by surprise as it would be in real life.

OODA Loop acronym Observe, Orientate Decided Act and any interruption in that process the time starts over.

This is why law enforcement are instructed to yell commands during these events to possibly give them that extra second or so.

The study quoted still supports the issue action is faster then reaction from when the incident starts to the action being taken.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Post imported post

OODA Loop- Observe, Overreact, Destroy, Apologize.
    "There is NO timer in a gunfight, but there IS another guy with a gun, and he's probably in a hurry!"- from someone who bothered to go and check

Post imported post

OODA, given to us by the late Col. John Boyd, USAF Retired. Live it, love it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OODA_loop

Post imported post

By the way Dave contrary to what you think I did not actively search out and look at or even get a thrill at these videos. I have a very close family member who have been going through hard times who has killed more people than most of us see in a day. I have seen first hand what this does to a person. And it is not good. He needed to share I didn't want to see it I don't even like gory movies....I was given advice from someone who helps veterans that him sharing this with me when he doesn't share it with anyone else might be part of the help he needs. So this in your e-mail was totally unappropriate:

Big Dave wrote:

If I was attacking you I would have brought up the idea, you are out of work, cannot drive, spend all day on the computer and make assumptions when watching videos and looking at pictures of Afghanistan and think you know something, you see there are many things I could have used but did not, so I attack the subject but I am not attacking you and I cannot help you make it so easy but I only respond to topics I find interest in, you have a few post in these so what.

Post imported post

Methinks you posted to the wrong thread, SVG. :P

Post imported post

SVG You really are a childish and sad to say the least.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Post imported post

Orphan wrote:
    Thank you, you beat me too it.

I cant stress this mindset and reality enough to people that I speak to about firearms. Its distressing and not just a bit disconcerting that so many people believe thesetypes ofmyths that one shot is all that's necessary to stop an attacker, and that people fly through windows when hit with a 9mm, just to name a few.

Its scary the mis-information that your average citizen has in their head about firearms.

Post imported post

grishnav wrote:
    Methinks you posted to the wrong thread, SVG. :P
    Yes it was, all but one part.