• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SWAT magazine TV, etc

XD40coyote

imported post

Well I was watching Outdoor Channel's "Wednesday Night at the Range" again last night. For those who don't know, it is a bunch of guns and shooting sports shows. There's Best Defense, SWAT Magazine TV, and some other related show. These 3 shows are usually about combat handgunnery, situational awareness, CCing, and so on. SWAT show tends a bit more on the LEO side, but offers info on defensive tactics for everybody. After watching a demo on serpa retention holsters and a bunch of stuff yammered on about CC, while watching the guy draw from OC, I'm thinking WTF. There was also some segment on one of the shows on some shooting school that teaches CC tactics, and EVERYONE was shooting from an OC position. There was even one part where you get to shoot from a car window and the instructor has the guest pull his shirt up and behind the gun grip so he can draw easier, and says this is how you should drive with your CC gun. Ummm, lets see, tucking your shirt behind your gun... oh oh oh that's OCing!

Now,I dunno about you, but I am thinking " if they are supposed to be learning CC tactics, why are they not drawing from CC?".

AND, WTH is wrong with these shows? Why do they NEVER mention plain just OCing, since so many states allow it. Yet it's normal to train for CC while OCing? I don't get it. I also find it funny when they have some ad for some CC gun or add-on like lasers, and they show someone drawing from OC at a range.

buster81

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
Well I was watching Outdoor Channel's "Wednesday Night at the Range" again last night. For those who don't know, it is a bunch of guns and shooting sports shows. There's Best Defense, SWAT Magazine TV, and some other related show. These 3 shows are usually about combat handgunnery, situational awareness, CCing, and so on. SWAT show tends a bit more on the LEO side, but offers info on defensive tactics for everybody. After watching a demo on serpa retention holsters and a bunch of stuff yammered on about CC, while watching the guy draw from OC, I'm thinking WTF. There was also some segment on one of the shows on some shooting school that teaches CC tactics, and EVERYONE was shooting from an OC position. There was even one part where you get to shoot from a car window and the instructor has the guest pull his shirt up and behind the gun grip so he can draw easier, and says this is how you should drive with your CC gun. Ummm, lets see, tucking your shirt behind your gun... oh oh oh that's OCing!

Now,I dunno about you, but I am thinking " if they are supposed to be learning CC tactics, why are they not drawing from CC?".

AND, WTH is wrong with these shows? Why do they NEVER mention plain just OCing, since so many states allow it. Yet it's normal to train for CC while OCing? I don't get it. I also find it funny when they have some ad for some CC gun or add-on like lasers, and they show someone drawing from OC at a range.

I watch the lineup every week. All of thoseshowsaresponsored by the NRA. Draw your own conclusion :cool:

Rob Pincus

imported post

Hey guys.. First, thanks for watching the shows on Outdoor Channel and thanks for reading S.W.A.T. Magazine...

None of my Outdoor Channel are sponsored by the NRA. I do distribute a training DVD series through them, but they don't influence all the shows.. in act, I doubt that they influence any of the content outside of their own show (American Guardian).

The content of each show is very independent and the opinions expressed are specific to the hosts and guests in each show. For example, "The Best Defense" and "The Best Defense: Survival" are shows that are owned by the network, but the content is almost exclusively developed by Michael Bane, Mike Janich and I... especially the training bits. On S.W.A.T. Magazine TV, I serve as host and have different guest instructors who express opinions of their own, sometimes ones that I disagree with... but that is part of the format.

I agree that we don't often cover open carry, but there have been some scenes addressing it. As for training "CC" techniques without concealment garments, that is sometimes done so that the viewer can see what is going on, at other times, (as the referenced in the car scene...), it might be an actual recommended tactic.

Please keep the feedback coming!

-Rob

buster81

imported post

Rob,

My apologies. I made an assumption that the NRA flash from the Guardian was typical for all the shows. My comment that that the NRA somehow hadsome influencewith the shows was somewhat tongue in cheek, but thank you for clarifying that they aren't involved.

I enjoy your segments and those of Mr. Janich. Keep up the good work.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Rob Pincus wrote:
Hey guys.. First, thanks for watching the shows on Outdoor Channel and thanks for reading S.W.A.T. Magazine...

None of my Outdoor Channel are sponsored by the NRA. I do distribute a training DVD series through them, but they don't influence all the shows.. in act, I doubt that they influence any of the content outside of their own show (American Guardian).

The content of each show is very independent and the opinions expressed are specific to the hosts and guests in each show. For example, "The Best Defense" and "The Best Defense: Survival" are shows that are owned by the network, but the content is almost exclusively developed by Michael Bane, Mike Janich and I... especially the training bits. On S.W.A.T. Magazine TV, I serve as host and have different guest instructors who express opinions of their own, sometimes ones that I disagree with... but that is part of the format.

I agree that we don't often cover open carry, but there have been some scenes addressing it. As for training "CC" techniques without concealment garments, that is sometimes done so that the viewer can see what is going on, at other times, (as the referenced in the car scene...), it might be an actual recommended tactic.

-Rob
Welcome aboard OCDO Ron.

I'm sure that sometimes time constraints do not allow for a full description of how and why something is depicted as it is.

We welcome the airing of training and pro self-defense programing. Keep up the good work. Hope you'll be able to find the time to offer your input here again.

OC does have its benefits in spite of what Mass says. :)

Yata hey

Deanimator

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
I saw the same show, and damned if I didn't have exactly the same reaction!

Perhaps they separated the techniques shown from drawing from cover for purposes of simplicity.

Also, the issue of revealing the firearm in the car is one well known to those of us in Ohio. We used to HAVE to open carry in vehicles... an interesting thing to note to LEOs and others who push the "inducing panic" fairy tale. Did the Ohio Revised Code used to REQUIRE you to "induce panic" when in a vehicle? Does the American Psychiatric Association have a study which shows that seeing somebody wearing a firearm in an automobile is NOT "panic inducing" but seeing the SAME person with the same gun on the street IS?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tucking the shirt or jacket behind the holster is what we commonly call the "Virginia Tuck." :)

Care should be taken doing this however, whether in a vehicle or not. Some states do not permit OC even in your own vehicle and then maybe only with a permit. Pa. comes to mind wherein OC is legal w/o a permit until your get in your vehicle.

Yata hey

XD40coyote

imported post

-Rob

Thanks for clarification. ButI still am seeing alot of OWB holsters LOL. I can understand taking the cover garmet off to show the technique, but if it was really "all" concealed carry,more of the students would be practicing using IWB holsters wouldn't they? I know theolder LEO guy ( whatshisname?) who shows a specific technique, has an IWB holster ( and a nice 1911).

Since you are here and asking for more feedback,

1- It would be nice if you covered open carry in at least 1 show, make the whole show about it, go over the do's and don'ts, and have people discuss pros and cons.

2- Please, more stuff for women by women if you can! Stupid me I missed the last episode of Best Defense, in which the preview showed a woman getting her purse taken and the BG finds her gun in it while standing in front of her. I am guessing the shows are available to watch online after the premier dates. LOL, also include women in a show on open carry if you decide to do one. Mamma Liberty on here is coming to mind, she OC's and she is also a firearms instructor.

3-I enjoyed the segment on self defense rounds. I'd love to see more on this topic.

4-ok here is my silly feedback. I like seeing fit nice looking men with OWB holsters and nice handguns. It is shown at ranges and training facilities on the shows, but I just love looking at non LEO men OCing! LOL

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

XD40coyote wrote:

-Rob

Thanks for clarification. ButI still am seeing alot of OWB holsters LOL. I can understand taking the cover garmet off to show the technique, but if it was really "all" concealed carry,more of the students would be practicing using IWB holsters wouldn't they? I know theolder LEO guy ( whatshisname?) who shows a specific technique, has an IWB holster ( and a nice 1911).

Since you are here and asking for more feedback,

1- It would be nice if you covered open carry in at least 1 show, make the whole show about it, go over the do's and don'ts, and have people discuss pros and cons.

2- Please, more stuff for women by women if you can! Stupid me I missed the last episode of Best Defense, in which the preview showed a woman getting her purse taken and the BG finds her gun in it while standing in front of her. I am guessing the shows are available to watch online after the premier dates. LOL, also include women in a show on open carry if you decide to do one. Mamma Liberty on here is coming to mind, she OC's and she is also a firearms instructor.

3-I enjoyed the segment on self defense rounds. I'd love to see more on this topic.

4-ok here is my silly feedback. I like seeing fit nice looking men with OWB holsters and nice handguns. It is shown at ranges and training facilities on the shows, but I just love looking at non LEO men OCing! LOL
I just bought season 1 of the Best Defense and I thought there was quite a bit for women. Actually I think for $30 it is a lot of bang for your buck for defensive training for anyone.

Rob Pincus

imported post

Thanks, Longwatch.. I think you are spot on.. if you look at the other DVDs on my website for $30 each, you really get a huge value out of the whole season of TBD... not as much detail, but a ton of things to think about!

Xd40, Thanks for the feedback:

Agreed.

I don't put women on the show or in my DVDs just to "check the box"... when I find someone who is offering quality info, I'd be glad to show it. I am not familiar with "mamma liberty", but she should feel free to contact me. Personally, I think a fair number of people have used "for women by women" as a marketing gimmick.

Cool.

I have no idea what to say to that... :D