• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

who up for a ?

Mike In Reno

imported post

bite to eat? im hungry ! just came back from scheels, bought a new blackhawk serpa for my Xd, and 100rds of ammo

around sparks? reno?

Dangerfish

imported post

Ditch the SERPA, will only lead to bad things, a complete POS.

I would but I'm in LV man.

bookem03

imported post

Mike,I am up for anything you can get together.My son and I will be there,we are not far from Reno in Cartoon City. Keep us posted.

Mike In Reno

imported post

I am sitting at the bar at buffalo wild wings waiting for friends to show, come by if you would like to I'm not carrying tonight fyi

Mike In Reno

imported post

Yes please do! I like the locking mechnism of the serpa, and it came with the paddle for the hip and the belt loop paddle, with a lifetime warrt, can't beat it

gunrunner1911

imported post

There have been reports of incidents concerning the Serpa lock mech. Several training companies won't allow them because of this.

To deactivate the lock you push with the trigger finger if continueing to push with the finger during the draw it can cause the finger to go immediately into the trigger guard. This could or has caused discharge of the weapon. I believe most incidents have been with Glocks considering the lack of safety beyond placing the trigger finger in firing position. Springer XDs are no different because the other safety was removed by the gripping of the gun. It's really about training but still after review I don't like it and wouldn't use one.

My REAL problem with the holster is it's PLASTIC. I don't give 2 $%^& what "they" call it it's plastic. I prefer leather. IMO it's smother better looking conceals better by molding into the body and . I know OC but hey if it gets the gun in tighter and feels better doesn't matter if I CC or OC. It's about fit and feel. THIS IS JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION. Some people might criticise me for no retention system on my holsters whether I CC or OC.

Mike In Reno

imported post

hmm strange, i was thinking about doing some draw drills, and practicing a little before i put some rounds through my xd, i do like the locking feature the serpa has, i was at scheels looking at holsters, i can always take it back and try something else?

Mike In Reno

imported post

hmm strange, i was thinking about doing some draw drills, and practicing a little before i put some rounds through my xd, i do like the locking feature the serpa has, i was at scheels looking at holsters, i can always take it back and try something else?

G

imported post

Here in Vegas we don't go to buffalo wild wings because they posted a note on the door saying they are a gun free zone.

Edit to add pic

Dangerfish

imported post

ANY single action striker-fired pistol should not be used with the SERPA. Not to mention, if you get that lock dirty, it will stop working and you will have a hell of a time getting your gun out.

Not to mention I have seen SERPA's come apart at the rivits durring LEO weapon rentention drills.

I suggest Safariland or Bladetec.

calmp9

imported post

Mike In Reno wrote:
bite to eat? im hungry ! just came back from scheels, bought a new blackhawk serpa for my Xd, and 100rds of ammo

around sparks? reno?
I thought that Scheel's was expensive. It's a nice store but that's about it for me. I hope you got a good deal on that holster. The ammo was high too, but I went there before Obama took office. Ammo might be more reasonable now.

Lostlittlerobot

imported post

Didnt blackhawk market their serpas by hoisting up a 300 lb man with a crane attached to a gun inside the holster?

I personally haven't heard a credible source about them breaking, unlike thefobus video that went viral on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rv49aDzdgc)

The shooting yourself thing is just simply not properly drawing. That's like saying glock pistols aren't safe and shouldn't be used because they have no thumb safety IMO. No offense meant though.

I think 5.11 makes a carbon fiber retention holster, and puts the retainer button on the inside near the body, to avoid badguys who know how to use the serpa and possibly the trigger thing.

I like my serpas

Dangerfish

imported post

http://www.tacticalresponse.com/d/faq

Read the last FAQ. That is a very credible source.

Also, I know my fair share of door kickers, no real one uses a Serpa. Theres a reason that almost every unit attached to SOCOM, who are issued Serpas by the way, uses ALS holsters, funds arealloted to get them VERY often.

Try emptying your weapon, and drawing very fast, while pushing on the locking mec inwardas you would if rounds were going off around you, see where your finger ends up...