• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

replacing timing hand spring

gamestalker

imported post

Hi,

Does anyone know how to put the spring back into the Trigger/timing hand on a S&W model 66-5. I was replacing the trigger spring and knew to be careful not to dislodge the hand spring but as luck would have it I bumped it and the spring came undone. The worst part of all this is I can't find a gun smith in Tucson that knows how to put it back in for me. I've done this one time before back in the 1980s and got lucky and found a local gun smith in Flagstaff that knew S&Ws like the back of his hand and fixed it in about 5 minutes. I'm not that lucky this time and need a diagram and all will be well. But this too is a problem as I can't find a web site that has a clear diagram of this part.

Gamestalker

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

gamestalker wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know how to put the spring back into the Trigger/timing hand on a S&W model 66-5. I was replacing the trigger spring and knew to be careful not to dislodge the hand spring but as luck would have it I bumped it and the spring came undone. The worst part of all this is I can't find a gun smith in Tucson that knows how to put it back in for me. I've done this one time before back in the 1980s and got lucky and found a local gun smith in Flagstaff that knew S&Ws like the back of his hand and fixed it in about 5 minutes. I'm not that lucky this time and need a diagram and all will be well. But this too is a problem as I can't find a web site that has a clear diagram of this part.

You seem to be talking about the torsion spring (part 7040) which fits into the top of the trigger (7026) and is held in place by the trigger pins (7019).

Here's a portion of the Checkout instructions in The S&W Revolver: A Shop Manual by Jerry Huhnhausen, page 40:

Check Torsion Spring and Hand Slot

2. Check the hand torsion spring installed on the uppoer rear pin. Make sure that the spring isn't broken andthat it is installed right side up. The installation is correct if the short end is forward resting on the front crosspin, leaving the long end to the rear and on the side of hand slot.

There is a pic of the orientation of the torsion spring laying atop the trigger with the following description:

Figure 65--Shows the trigger with the torsion spring removed and placed on top for viewing. When installed inside the trigger, the short front arm of the torsion spring rests on the forward hammer crosspin, while the center of the spring pivots on the pack pin. The long end of the spring picks up and loads the hand's tensioner clip when the hand is installed correctly.

Hmm, it doesn't seem that the torsion spring comes out unless the trigger pins have been removed. Did you remove them temporarily?

gamestalker

imported post

Thanks fro the information. Actually I didn't remove the pins. What happened is I was replacing the trigger spring and needed to remove the trigger to access the spring and when I pulled the trigger despite my being careful I inadvertently let the hand come out of the trigger which of course allowed the torsion spring to come loose. I took it to a gun smith yesterday and he had the spring block tool and it took him all of about 30 seconds to put it back infor me. I've replaced trigger springs in quite a few of these type revolvers and never made that mistake. But with my Grand Daughter distracting whilerunning around and playing it happened.

gamestalker