• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone here apply in bridgeport?

ctfireman

imported post

I recently applied in bridgeport & am hearing that people wait anywhere from 5-16 weeks. I swear its worse than waiting for christmas as a kid! Just wondering how long others waited.

Edward Peruta

imported post

The winds of change are comming.

Every applicant should ask to be informed by phone or letter when the Criminal Histoy Records Checks are recieved back during the application process.

By law, the issuing authority has ONE WEEK after receipt of the criminal history is received to make a decision to approve or deny the application.

Rational applicants shouldmake intelligent inquires during the process to stay informed about the process of their application.

edperuta@amcable.tv

Vist this website for more information

www.ctgunrights.com

Join and financially support the Connecticut Citizen's Defense League to help protect our rights.

www.ccdl.us

ctfireman

imported post

I spoke with bridgeport PD & they said that upon dropping off the application someone should have told me that its a 16 week wait & that i'll be notified by mail. So much for the 8 week law!

Edward Peruta

imported post

Bridgeport has 5 business days by law to submit your fingerprints for your state and national criminal history records check and one week after it comes back from DPS to issue or deny.

Prnit and show this to Bridgeport P.D. and ask for notification of when the records check is received back from DPS.

If they don't make a decsion within the time mandated by law, file and appeal and don't wait the eight weeks.

Sec. 29-29. Information concerning criminal records of applicants for permits. (a) No temporary state permit for carrying any pistol or revolver shall be issued under the provisions of section 29-28 unless the applicant for such permit gives to the local authority, upon its request, full information concerning the applicant's criminal record. The local authority shall require the applicant to submit to state and national criminal history records checks. The local authority shall take a full description of such applicant and make an investigation concerning the applicant's suitability to carry any such weapons.

(b) The local authority shall take the fingerprints of such applicant or conduct any other method of positive identification required by the State Police Bureau of Identification or the Federal Bureau of Investigation, unless the local authority determines that the fingerprints of such applicant have been previously taken and the applicant's identity established, and such applicant presents identification that the local authority verifies as valid. The local authority shall record the date the fingerprints were taken in the applicant's file and, within five business days of such date, shall forward such fingerprints or other positive identifying information to the State Police Bureau of Identification which shall conduct criminal history records checks in accordance with section 29-17a.

(c) The local authority may, in its discretion, issue a temporary state permit before a national criminal history records check relative to such applicant's record has been received. Upon receipt of the results of such national criminal history records check, the commissioner shall send a copy of the results of such national criminal history records check to the local authority, which shall inform the applicant and render a decision on the application within one week of the receipt of such results. If such results have not been received within eight weeks after a sufficient application for a permit has been made, the local authority shall inform the applicant of such delay, in writing. No temporary state permit shall be issued if the local authority has reason to believe the applicant has ever been convicted of a felony, or that any other condition exists for which the issuance of a permit for possession of a pistol or revolver is prohibited under state or federal law.

(d) The commissioner may investigate any applicant for a state permit and shall investigate each applicant for renewal of a state permit to ensure that such applicant is eligible under state law for such permit or for renewal of such permit.

(e) No state permit may be issued unless either the local authority or the commissioner has received the results of the national criminal history records check.

ctfireman

imported post

I'm kind of worried about doing it, even politely. If it pisses them off & my application dissappears i'll be waiting a year & a half just for an appeal hearing. I wonder what it'll cost to have a lawyer make a few calls for me.

Edward Peruta

imported post

I understand your fear, and don't want you to feel that you must do anything that your no comforable doing.

I just wanted you to know that the 16 weeks is nothing but smoke and mirrors.

As for losing your application, it's gonna be very difficult if they cash your checks for the records checks.

There are also laws that protect public records from disappearning.

Do what you feel is best for you.

Good luck

Ed Peruta

ctfireman

imported post

I called Bridgeport PD again today & without giving any personal info i asked how long the wait is once a complete application (with fingerprints)is submitted. The answer was "14-16 weeks". I asked about the 8 week law per the CT.gov website & the reply i got was "there is no such law, i'd like to see that in writing". I offered to hand deliver it in writing & they said "you do that". I feel kinda helpless, if i do it i know they're gonna give me a hard time. Does anyone know what it would cost to have an attorney make some phone calls & inform them of the law they claim doesn't exist?

Edward Peruta

imported post

Tell you buddy at Bridgeport P.D. to check the email.

I used my wife's email because I can't get to mine right now.

THAT WAS EASY!!

Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 2:49 PM
To: 'bptctpd@bridgeportct.gov'
Cc:
Ed Peruta (edperuta@amcable.tv)
Subject
: Information regarding Pistol Permit Applications and compliance with State Law.

To whom it may concern:[/b]
[/b]
Please give this to the Chief.

Link to post regarding Bridgeport P.D.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/reply.php?topic_id=37645

Bridgeport has 5 business days by law to submit your fingerprints for your state and national criminal history records check and one week after it comes back from DPS to issue or deny.

Print and show this to Bridgeport P.D. and ask for notification of when the records check is received back from DPS.

If they don't make a decision within the time mandated by law, file and appeal and don't wait the eight weeks

Sec. 29-29. Information concerning criminal records of applicants for permits.
(a) No temporary state permit for carrying any pistol or revolver shall be issued under the provisions of section 29-28 unless the applicant for such permit gives to the local authority, upon its request, full information concerning the applicant's criminal record. The local authority shall require the applicant to submit to state and national criminal history records checks. The local authority shall take a full description of such applicant and make an investigation concerning the applicant's suitability to carry any such weapons.

(b) The local authority shall take the fingerprints of such applicant or conduct any other method of positive identification required by the State Police Bureau of Identification or the Federal Bureau of Investigation, unless the local authority determines that the fingerprints of such applicant have been previously taken and the applicant's identity established, and such applicant presents identification that the local authority verifies as valid. The local authority shall record the date the fingerprints were taken in the applicant's file and, within five business days
of such date, shall forward such fingerprints or other positive identifying information to the State Police Bureau of Identification which shall conduct criminal history records checks in accordance with section 29-17a.

(c) The local authority may, in its discretion, issue a temporary state permit before a national criminal history records check relative to such applicant's record has been received. Upon receipt of the results of such national criminal history records check, the commissioner shall send a copy of the results of such national criminal history records check to the local authority, which shall inform the applicant and render a decision on the application within one week of the receipt of such results. If such results have not been received within eight weeks after a sufficient application for a permit has been made, the local authority shall inform the applicant of such delay, in writing. No temporary state permit shall be issued if the local authority has reason to believe the applicant has ever been convicted of a felony, or that any other condition exists for which the issuance of a permit for possession of a pistol or revolver is prohibited under state or federal law.

(d) The commissioner may investigate any applicant for a state permit and shall investigate each applicant for renewal of a state permit to ensure that such applicant is eligible under state law for such permit or for renewal of such permit.

(e) No state permit may be issued unless either the local authority or the commissioner has received the results of the national criminal history records check.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Ed,
Thank your wife for helping with the cause!

We talked about this kind of thing at the meeting yesterday, we can try and make the various PD's toe the line or we will need a test case - someone willing to put up with the denial for being a fly in the ointment and then getting them bumped to the top of the pile at the BFPE hearing and get those PD's slapped down hard for not abiding by the statutes they expect everyone else to!

Hope all is going well in CA, keep your head down (been reading up on the UOC shooting threats out there, unbelievable).

ctfireman

imported post

I spoke to a woman at DPS today to check on my status & mentioned that bridgeport did not acknowledge the 8 week statute. All i got was a "well...they must be backed up". She transferred me to the fingerprint division & was told that mine "had not been worked on yet". He couldn't tell me if they'd been received yet, only that my name wasn't in the system. I have a feeling this isn't gonna go well & it's so frustrating.

Edward Peruta

imported post

Read and provide Section 29-29 to the Bridgeport Police Department and ask them when they sent your fingerprints to the Connecticut State Bureau of Identification as required by law.

When you go to Bridgeport P.D. demand to speak to the Commanding Officer in charge of the Pistol Permit unit and NO ONE ELSE.

Be polite but firm in your desire to obtain the fact regarding your application.

If they refuse to provide the informaiton and it's been more than 5 business days since you submitted your applicaiton and fingerprints, IMMEDIATELY FILE AN APPEAL with the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners.

Your reason for the appeal is based on violations of seciton 29-29.

Good Luck and keep us informed.

denverr1

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
Read and provide Section 20-29 to the Bridgeport Police Department and ask them when they sent your fingerprints to the Connecticut State Bureau of Identification as required by law.

When you go to Bridgeport P.D. demand to speak to the Commanding Officer in charge of the Pistol Permit unit and NO ONE ELSE.

Be polite but firm in your desire to obtain the fact regarding your application.

If they refuse to provide the informaiton and it's been more than 5 business days since you submitted your applicaiton and fingerprints, IMMEDIATELY FILE AN APPEAL with the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners.

Your reason for the appeal is based on violations of seciton 29-29.

Good Luck and keep us informed.

Hello ctfireman
Listin to MR Peruta!!!!
He really knows his stuff!!!!!
He has helped me with the same prob here in Stratford!!!!
i was waiting for 8 months before i came across ED!!
WELL after talkING to ED and doing what he told me
about alittle more than a week and a half and i had Permit in HAND!!!!!!!

HATS OFF TO MR PERUTA!!!!!