• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro-Gun Extremists Unleashed

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Whew, what's going on in the gun rights/2A/carry communities in recent times?

We got guys who:

• Want to carry 18 GLOCKs at one time
  • Carry a revolver in hand while walking down a street at night
  • Carry an AR-15 into a luncheon meeting in a restaurant in MI
  • Walk up, OCing,to officers investigating a person on a public street, asking the cops, "What's going on?"
  • Want to march in support of OC with a magazine duct taped to anempty stock
There is a need to protect our rights guaranteed by 2A and to promote OC and CC, of course.

But are the extremists among us getting out of hand? Are we seeing a phase in pro-gun/rights movement where the extremists will start to cause damage to the strong and long trend we've been enjoying in the acceptance by legal, politicaland social segments of society of our gun rights (and guns)?

I think so. I can't say I blame them, though. The job of extremists is to be...well, it's to be extreme.

Wonder what's next? Hmm, OK, I've got it.....mount some long guns fore and aft on a pickup truck and drive around town to excercise the right to do it. Or .... carry that AR back into the Ponderosa...but this time with a beta mag on it. (Remember, an unexcercised right to carry a beta mag is....well, you know the rest.)

Or, how about this one.....a Guardian Angels-styled patrol group, each member carrying mucho ammo and pistols and long guns....going out and offering free protection to currency exchanges and Quick-marts.

The possibilities are endless...

1245A Defender

imported post

hi hank! ive thought alot about the acceptance that is being built for open carry by our movement,, and the position of non confrontation from LEO that is demanded by legal restrictions, the constitution,etc..

bad guys can read too, and watch tv and learn that what we have gained from our recearch andcan also be used by them.. i worry that our gains could be used against us...

honest law abiding citizens open carrying are few and far between, at this point an open carried gun should be a mark of decency and trust,, just like a cop in the store is a releif, one of us is too...

but when every tom, dick and harry starts to OC, i worry about how polite our society will feel then!

BTW, my star modelo super is 9mm largo,, same cartridge as 9x23 winchester but loaded to 38 super power:)

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." — Thomas Jefferson

This thread is something a Troll would start...

I for one would rather stand with a patriot that pushes further in the fight for our rights, than stand with those that would chide me for exercising my rights as I choice!

Overtaxed

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
hi hank! ive thought alot about the acceptance that is being built for open carry by our movement,, and the position of non confrontation from LEO that is demanded by legal restrictions, the constitution,etc..

bad guys can read too, and watch tv and learn that what we have gained from our recearch andcan also be used by them.. i worry that our gains could be used against us...

I'm just worried about the long-term health of gun rights, period. We've made some excellent gains in recent years, but a part of me is terribly concerned that we might just be at the pinnacle and not know it.

My theory is that gun rights are "constitutionally guaranteed, but demand driven."

It's been made clear that gun control just isn't wanted by most of the general populace these days.

But that tide could turn. I've spoken with fellow adults who, when talking about guns, have said, "had 'em, but gave 'em up when I was about to have kids." Great - no new shooters in that family, most likely.

I'm also concerned about demographic trends that point toward rural dwellers moving to the 'burbs, and both suburbanites and rural folk moving to cities, where shooting, if not abhorred, isn't even thought about that much.

A lot of people simply "give up their guns" when they move to suburbs and cities, or at the very least store them and don't give them much thought afterward.

Yes, we have some overzealous folks in our ranks, but they are few and far between. We CAN defuse the media hype over them though sound logic and calm discussion, as Caleb of Gun Nuts radio did on Fox a couple of months back, for example.

But there could be looming demographic changes that are far more powerful that could ultimately be more destructive.

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

"Extremism" is too subjective a term to use to impose restrictions on someone elses rights.
To the Brady campaign, one gun per person is too "extreme".
So, what makes your definition of "extreme" sacred? And why should my rights be contingent upon your comfort level?

LeagueOf1291

imported post

"Extremist" is a label that intimidates those who are overly concerned about what other people think about them. There are far too many pansies when it comes to defending our liberties, always worried about popular opinion, never willing to take a stand without first licking his thumb and gauging the latest wind.

Give me an overzealous defender of liberty any day.

I'd rather rein in a bull than try to spur an obstinate ass.

Gunslinger

imported post

HankT wrote:
Whew, what's going on in the gun rights/2A/carry communities in recent times?

We got guys who:

• Want to carry 18 GLOCKs at one time
  • Carry a revolver in hand while walking down a street at night
  • Carry an AR-15 into a luncheon meeting in a restaurant in MI
  • Walk up, OCing,to officers investigating a person on a public street, asking the cops, "What's going on?"
  • Want to march in support of OC with a magazine duct taped to anempty stock
There is a need to protect our rights guaranteed by 2A and to promote OC and CC, of course.

But are the extremists among us getting out of hand? Are we seeing a phase in pro-gun/rights movement where the extremists will start to cause damage to the strong and long trend we've been enjoying in the acceptance by legal, politicaland social segments of society of our gun rights (and guns)?

I think so. I can't say I blame them, though. The job of extremists is to be...well, it's to be extreme.

Wonder what's next? Hmm, OK, I've got it.....mount some long guns fore and aft on a pickup truck and drive around town to excercise the right to do it. Or .... carry that AR back into the Ponderosa...but this time with a beta mag on it. (Remember, an unexcercised right to carry a beta mag is....well, you know the rest.)

Or, how about this one.....a Guardian Angels-styled patrol group, each member carrying mucho ammo and pistols and long guns....going out and offering free protection to currency exchanges and Quick-marts.

The possibilities are endless...
I think you need to define "extremists." Is someone who carries a BUG one? How about three extra mags? A bandelaro (sp?) of 12g shells? "Extreme" compared to what is the operant question.