• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Now, if they or their customers had only been carrying!!!

mahkagari

imported post

They weren't hurt at least. If I'm a customer at a subshob getting robbed at knife point, I'm not shooting him over someone else's cash register. If I think lives are in danger that's a different story.

But last I checked, most sandwich places have knives behind the counter. Seriously, I don't mean someone making minimum wage to fold turkey should goCrocodile Dundeeon someone and am well aware of the 21' rule and knives' deadliness, but when multiple people are taken hostage with a KNIFE, I wonder about people's preparedness to defend themselves even without a firearm.

Once upon a time, Igot jumped (mistaken identity failed gay bashing) and one of the assailants got MY knife. When I blocked his slash at me and advanced, he RAN.

cscitney87

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
They weren't hurt at least. If I'm a customer at a subshob getting robbed at knife point, I'm not shooting him over someone else's cash register. If I think lives are in danger that's a different story.

But last I checked, most sandwich places have knives behind the counter. Seriously, I don't mean someone making minimum wage to fold turkey should goCrocodile Dundeeon someone and am well aware of the 21' rule and knives' deadliness, but when multiple people are taken hostage with a KNIFE, I wonder about people's preparedness to defend themselves even without a firearm.

Once upon a time, Igot jumped (mistaken identity failed gay bashing) and one of the assailants got MY knife. When I blocked his slash at me and advanced, he RAN.
dang dude

And Yeah I didn't realize until now.. I'm not sure if I would have been willing to shoot anyone but I would have definitely drawn the pistol, taken cover, and aimed at the chest- in that situation. From the look of other posts... some people here would be willing to zip tie the guy up and citizens arrest his a$$: pistol drawn to the forhead.... granade pin Out, trigger squeezed, huge eyes, red face, literally steam coming out of the ears... no really though that would be an intense situation. I've never been in a place getting robbed before. What does everyone do? Look at eachother? Does anyone just keep eating? I would laugh at that.

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

Someone asking for the "company's money" is welcomed to it, but if he is acting nervously, or if he makes me fear for my life, that is when the "crap will hit the fan" other wise oh well, every body for the rest of the day will have to pay with a credit card.

Suburban78

imported post

Pistol Pete Utah wrote:
Someone asking for the "company's money" is welcomed to it, but if he is acting nervously, or if he makes me fear for my life, that is when the "crap will hit the fan" other wise oh well, every body for the rest of the day will have to pay with a credit card.
I feel the same way. If all they want is the cash and leave then so be it. Turn around and point that knife at me or harm someone else and I won't think twice about double tapping him(her) in the chest and then go home and sleep like a baby.

CaveMan

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
, but when multiple people are taken hostage with a KNIFE, I wonder about people's preparedness to defend themselves even without a firearm.
+1 To many sheep in this country

rickahyatt

imported post

Matthew Sheppards, you mean?
Go to my website menulinks about Mckinney & Henderson and read our Carbon County's own system of "Deliverance" for the ranking families meant their protection by CC Sheriff Jerry Colson in even 1995.
They used to do "Meth Hits" for an Encampment Drug Baron that ran a bar there, and that's how I got involved in a near "Hit" of me and my son.
Yeah, it was thought I was "Queer," too...
My open carry (The Sheriff wouldn't let me carry civil, peaceful & concealed, and hasn't since) of my .357 actually saved our lives that day.
But then ignoring my subsequent written reports meant that the two went on to kill how many other joy-crimes until they were finally caught for crucifying MS on that barbed wire fence in Laramie?
Oh, the prevalent thought is to call me "Mentally Ill," WHAT ELSE for the ultimate government agency cover-up?
Ask Jennifer Flowers if she wasn't subjected to the same attempted frame-ups by old Clinton, himself, sending government shrinks after her to try and have her Committed?
If it's sexual... They have that last resort and they get away with it, especially since the Secret Intelligence Court was founded in 1977, and followed up with the "Patriot Act" in 2001.

rickahyatt

imported post

Get a life. Study some martial arts. Understand that life is not automatic eutopia and that YOU must take responsibility for your life and even your surroundings.
If you think life is a perfect shopping mall, then it's time you grew up.
I suggest Hayashi-Do Karate Ka, but any other martial art will give you a grip on life.
Real life. Awareness. The ability to respond. The avoidance of real death. Of yourself and/or others.
The cops have no legal obligation to save you.
You just have the... Personal? Obligation to live a longer life.
And to step in for others when and if necessary. Perhaps they can't defend themselves as perhaps you might be able to?
It's like: Are you a "Man?" Or a WIMP?
If the second above, please go to the back of the line for the gas chambers, please.

A "Jew" by heritage.
Rick A Hyatt
www.rickhyatt.freeservers.com

cscitney87

imported post

rickahyatt wrote:
Get a life. Study some martial arts. Understand that life is not automatic eutopia and that YOU must take responsibility for your life and even your surroundings.
If you think life is a perfect shopping mall, then it's time you grew up.
I suggest Hayashi-Do Karate Ka, but any other martial art will give you a grip on life.
Real life. Awareness. The ability to respond. The avoidance of real death. Of yourself and/or others.
The cops have no legal obligation to save you.
You just have the... Personal? Obligation to live a longer life.
And to step in for others when and if necessary. Perhaps they can't defend themselves as perhaps you might be able to?
It's like: Are you a "Man?" Or a WIMP?
If the second above, please go to the back of the line for the gas chambers, please.

A "Jew" by heritage.
Rick A Hyatt
http://www.rickhyatt.freeservers.com
I'm not 100% sure where your post is headed but let me cut you off on the martial arts karate stuff

1) We do All have a responsibility to defend ourselves and country
2) Some of us literally cannot learn martial arts for physical reasons
3) Some of us cannot learn martial arts for economic reasons
4)Some of us have to pick up our kids from school after work- then go feed them- then go bath them- then put them to bed in time for our swing shift back at the plant...

All this "get a life and learn some martial arts" business is Just Not Possible for a lot of us on this board. We are to fat, poor, or busy. Firearms WORK for self defense. Carrying a firearm is the Best Method of defense for some of us here.

So what's a guy to do? No martial arts training.. not even a gun.. guy robs your Subway with a knife and I'm not gunna bust out my Blackberry to read A "Jew" by heritage.
Rick A Hyatt
http://www.rickhyatt.freeservers.com

ColoradoFlyer

imported post

And if the Brady Campaign has their way, they are going to petetion every business to adopt a no guns policy, so what good what that do. As someone mentioned in another post somewhere, a no guns policy really helped to prevent the slaughter of 4 police officers in Tacoma Washington... Go figure. More nonsense..... But to answer the question, I would have no problems drawing on the guy, watch his eyes get as big as saucers and then help haul him off to the pokey... As many have said, make open carry noticeable so that people will question whether they should do something stupid. I honestly believe there is a deterance that is made when everyone realizes that there are people with proper training walking around carrying guns, and not talking about policemen/women...

I love the comment that the Brady Campaign woman said in Calif: That we are as likely be be shot by these legally carrying gun holders and that they are not there to take a bullet for someone... I would love to meet her face to face and question what type of brain she has.... What a moroon...

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
weaponize wrote:
mahkagari wrote:
, but when multiple people are taken hostage with a KNIFE, I wonder about people's preparedness to defend themselves even without a firearm.
+1 To many sheep in this country
And How many Sheppards? That's the question.
More than many people realize, that's for sure. Yet less than most might hope for.

What would I do in that situation, if I were a customer in the restaurant and an armed robbery began?

I think a lot would depend on where I was in the restaurant and the demeanor of the two individuals who were robbing the place. If they were calm and obviously not intending to harm anyone, just get a cash drawer full of money, I'd probably keep my weapon out of sight but be ready to draw and fire.

If it appeared the robbers were intent on causing immediate physical harm to those behind the counter, I'm intervene, weapon drawn, and wouldn't hesitate to open fire to protect life or limb.

However, one major concern involves what the people behind the counter might do. If it appeared they were about to, or did, draw and fire, I would probably simply become very small - the last thing I'd want to do is get shot by a panicked storekeeper!

The bottom line is that for any given situation, there are several variables, and things can happen very fast. The best solution is don't panic!

But these and other mental rehearsals help each of us to prepare for potentialities. Obviously, drawing and firing at the first sign of a knife isn't the answer - for all you know it could be an off-duty cook using one of the kitchen knives to scrape corrosion off his battery in the parking lot.

It's for this reason law enforcement trains in a variety of situations. We all know how to shoot - but how are we at target discrimination? Or for that matter, discrimination of the various situations? And how about crowd control - If you ever do have to fire, what you do in the moments afterward could make the difference between being exonerated/justified and painted to be a bit off-kilter.

Lots to think about!