• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oconto County

chris morley

imported post

Yesterday I wrote to Sheriff Mike Jansen of Oconto County regarding lawful open carry. The Sherif's website states "We believe it is our responsibility to protect the constitutional rights of all persons", so I respectfully inquired about his department's stance on open carry. I highlighted "lawful" in respect to School Zones and liquor-serving establishments,

Today I recieved a short, but very favorable response which I copied below:

Chris,
I am in favor of lawful open carry.
Sheriff Mike Jansen
Oconto County

Chris Morley
Oconto/Shawano County Coordinator
ICarry.org

anmut

imported post

You know that inspired me to do the same. Not only does it bring the issue to the forefront and let the LEO in the area know that locals intend to invoke their right, a reply in writing would help inspire confidence in fellow OC'ers in the area.

I would suggest anyone that's got 5 minutes and a stamp send out a quick note to their local department.

Here's mine - feel free to c&p

[font="Arial, sans-serif"][/font]
Subject:Open Carry in Portage County

Dear Sir I am writing to respectively ask your position in regards to the lawful open carry of firearms in Portage County, WI. Specifically, what is the Portage County Sheriff Departments stance on a citizen's right to lawfully bear unconcealed arms in public.

Thank you for your time in this matter.

Sincerely

Anmut
Stevens Point WI
[font="Arial, sans-serif"][/font]

Support The 2nd

imported post

For those who might be new here. ASKING means nothing. They all know the law, asking the chief isn't worth the effort.

EXERCISE your rights, they will learn to deal with it.

anmut

imported post

Support The 2nd wrote:
For those who might be new here. ASKING means nothing. They all know the law, asking the chief isn't worth the effort.

IMHO, asking informed questions AND exercising your rights are two parts to the same equation. ASSUMING they know can lead to trouble.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Good job Chris. Being forwarned is forearmed (my opinion). The lowest denominator of the discomfort of being harassed by law enforcement starts with the cop on the street, so to speak. When exercising our constitutional right to open carry firearms it is good to know what kind of law enforcement environment we are in.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

Support The 2nd wrote:

I second that. But I do realize that there are many out there that are more timid in nature. Many know it is legal, but their perception is that it is not socailly acceptable, even if there is no worry of being harrased by LEO.

It's a good thing I don't care much aboutthat. I think I just might be the only one in my county that OC. Hardballer is in Buffalo County, I am in Trempealeau County, Hubert and many others down in La Crosse County, and I am not sure who is up in Eau Claire County.

I have been pondering the idea of doing an OC Picnic at Mount Simon Park in Eau Claire IF I can find others to help. But thats a thought for another post.

Posting things like Chris Morley did, for some, may give them the confidence to start. For others, it may take them seeing us OC. Even more will when it becomes more commanly socailly acceptable.

Many OCDO members are more than willing to meet up with OC first timers for thier first experience.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This wasn't Oconto County, but is is directly on topic.

When at the Constitution Rally in Sheboygan on Feb. 6th, Parabellum and I were approached by an average Joe. He stated he inquired about OC with the Sheboygan Falls PD and received an almost verbatim Flynn statement ("taken to the ground") type of thing. Try as we might, we could not convince this individual that LEO would not react that way because it would be a violation of the individual's/yours/our rights.

In the end, we all ended up at a McDonalds, in Sheboygan Falls, and even have a local LEO come in for lunch. The LEO didn't even notice we were carrying, nobody ended up on the floor, in truth is was totally uneventful.

There are those here who will disagree, but I think having a rapport with LEO prior to an encounter isn't a bad thing. If you reach an understanding, then you are apt not to have a bad encounter. If you get attitude instead, then your letter informing LEO of your intent to legally carry will go a long way in proving that LEO willfully and purposefully violated your constitutional rights.

I personally carry legally almost everywhere I go and even though I haven't had a rapport with most of the LEO in many of the places I've carried, I have also NEVER been "taken to the ground" or disarmed.

Yes, there are a few rouge LEO out there who forget they serve us, they work for us, they answer to us, not the other way around, but we will weed those individuals out quickly by filing complaints and lawsuits against them.

Just my $0.02

Read up, Load up, Holster up, and Carry On

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

I have to admit that I made an a$$ of myself over at ICarry.org. I read Chirs Morleys post here at OCDO. I login into ICarry, see Chris's post there, but the replies that I read here and the post I made where not there. Lack of sleep, I forgot what site I posted on and fire of accusations about posts dissapearing. When I realized what I did, I felt like crap. I learned a lesson, that is for sure.

anmut

imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
I have to admit that I made an a$$ of myself over at ICarry.org. I read Chirs Morleys post here at OCDO. I login into ICarry, see Chris's post there, but the replies that I read here and the post I made where not there. Lack of sleep, I forgot what site I posted on and fire of accusations about posts dissapearing. When I realized what I did, I felt like crap. I learned a lesson, that is for sure.
Isn't the interweb fun? :p