• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo Availability in Hampton Roads

apollosmom

imported post

Maybe we're turning the corner on ammo availability, slowly. During the raging snow earlier today, happened to stop into the WallyWorld off Jefferson in Newport News...found the sporting goods aisle with ammo, and lo and behold....amongst all the .44 Mag and Federal .40....sat4 boxes of Federal 115g 9MM....clerk said they had a "bunch" this morning. I picked up 3 boxes, price per box $9.47.Chose a brick of 550 Federal .22LR vice the Remington .22LR or Winnie .22LR. Noted last Monday that somehow, some .45ACP showed up in the Gloucester WallyWorld, at fair pricing as well. But forget it if you're looking for .38, .380 or .32, still no joy. Howzit look in your neck of the woods...and not just at WallyWorld?

45acpForMe

imported post

The last time I went to Walmart in yorktown they had Federal 45acp $15.95 (got 6 boxes) so haven't been back in a few weeks. Dick's sporting goods at Patrick Henry mall has had Remmington 45acp for a while, they sell it for a dollar more than Walmart used to $19.95 so if Wallyworld didn't have any I picked some up there.

The ammo freeze seems to be starting to thaw. The walmart employee told me that they are not allowed to "order" some ammo where before they just had to take what ever little showed up. So cross your fingers.

apollosmom

imported post

Update on an older thread....stopped by Dick's up at Marquis (northern York County)...nobody near the Shotgun and LongGun Sales desk...had a little time to note what was on the shelf:

BLUF: Plenty o' .223....PMC 200 round yellow box for $99, also saw a Blue box (unfamiliar brand), 150 rounds, on sale for $49.99...appeared they had plenty on the shelf. Many, many boxes of Remington .223 for $9.99.

On the handgun ammo side....numerous .44Mag, .45, .40, .38 and 9mm. Alas, no .32 or .380.

They also had three evil Remington "camo" AR style rifles...all at/beginning at the $1k price range.

I stopped by mid-afternoon, as per SOP at Marquis, very few cars at any of the big boxes, and Dick's was almost a cavern. Nonetheless, despite me hanging around the firearms area for a good 10-15 minutes, guess I didn't look anxious enough to be a buyer. They were right, headed out the door....was not a Lowe's experience, with folks on every aisle asking if they can help.

45acpForMe

imported post

apollosmom wrote:
Nonetheless, despite me hanging around the firearms area for a good 10-15 minutes, guess I didn't look anxious enough to be a buyer. They were right, headed out the door....was not a Lowe's experience, with folks on every aisle asking if they can help.
I hate buying anything at Dick's. Their customer service sucks but they did have ammo in when other stores didn't.

I picked up some 45 at Walmart in Yorktown today. They had some 45 left and 9mm. The guy in front of me bought the only two boxes of 40. So hopefully the ammo shortage is coming to an end.

driveramsII

imported post

The Armory in VA Beach tends to stay stocked despite the times. I was in there about a month ago and they had just received a shipment. The shelves were stocked with everything including .380. And they have an online store.