• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State of Emergency

nobama

imported post

This goes against NC constitution. This is ,as well as other gun laws are totally illegal and we MUST not let the antis punk us out. I say lets all work on getting this law removed. What right do they have? NONE!!!

buzzsaw

imported post

Well, according to my email inbox the GRNC has weighted in on the King emergency. The just sent out an email lamenting the failure of HB 257 to pass last years legislative session which was supposed to eliminate this situation but them rascally Dems in charge in Raleigh wouldn't even give it a committee hearing. Looks like we need to send some different folks to Raleigh this year.

nobama

imported post

I say all of us must send an E mail or call the reps and STRONGLY voice what we really think. Im tired of playing mr nice guy. When are we gonna wake up? They say they support your liberties, but, only when its convenient? I dont think so.

Dreamer

imported post

Well, we've got about 5" of snow on the ground. I've been watching Gov. Perdue's website, the NC State Gov website, and NC DOT's website for the last 2 days, and it doesn't look like Perdue is going to declare a "state of emergency" for this snowstorm, like she did for the one in January...

So, pull on your boots, hats, parkas, and drop-mounted low-riding holsters folks, and CARRY ON!

Fahrenheit

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
chiefjason wrote:
Anyone know if this law has ever been used against someone carrying?
I think that most of the times this law was actually used to arrest someone or confiscate their guns was in the late 1800's and early 1900's with regards to blacks and Lumbee's, when they used firearms to protect themselves against mobs of KKK members who were threatening them...

I'll have to do some research to see if this law has been used against citizens who were otherwise acting lawfully during times of declared emergencies. I don't know if it's ever been used against law-abiding citizens during the emergencies declared after recent hurricanes. This might take some digging...
The law was passed in, IIRC, 1969.

Dreamer

imported post

Yes, you are correct. I got the enactment of this law confused with the HPP laws...

The "State of Emergency Ban" was passed in the late 1960's, during the time when the schools were being "integrated", effectively disarming the black and Native American families who wanted to protect their children.

God forbid, a non-white person should be able to protect themselves against guys wearing pointy white bedsheets...:banghead:

I maintain, ALL gun control laws are fundamentally based in racist, tyrannical policy, and need to be exposed as such. This law should be REPEALED. It is an historical embarrassment that keeps Jim Crow alive. All law-abiding citizens should be DISGUSTED that laws like this are still on the books, and need to let their Representatives know that laws like this are SICKENING and need repealed.

Any Representative that will not work to repeal these laws should be put on notice that law-abiding gun owners, and all people who love liberty and freedom, will do everything in our power to ensure they are voted out next election...

Official slogan for 2010 and 2012 elections:
Throw the Bums Out!

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
God forbid, a non-white person should be able to protect themselves against guys wearing pointy white bedsheets...:banghead:

Um, Dreamer, what if they're pink?

kkk-tolerance.png

:lol:

Dreamer

imported post

Talk about "diversity".

You, sir, are a sick, sick individual, and should NEVER be allowed near PhotoShop again... ;)

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Talk about "diversity".

You, sir, are a sick, sick individual, and should NEVER be allowed near PhotoShop again...     ;)

:lol: well, I'm not gay and I'm not jewish and I can't lay claim to this image, legitimate or not, we've got to be prepared for all possibilities :)

Yooper

imported post

Hopefully you guys can get your legislature to overturn that B.S. law. After Katrina, the MI legislature made sure that firearms can't be restricted during states of emergencies.... though I've never seen a state of emergency declared for a dusting of snow either.

buzzsaw

imported post

The law is certainly BS and needs to be rescinded but it was never intended to be used in the manner that the King NC authorities abused it. Unintended consequences (ain't it always the case). It was passed in the aftermath of civil disturbances that followed the death of Martin L. King Jr. Rioting, looting, burning and general destruction that happened through out the state during that period. While there was a certain racial overtone to the whole mess (what in the 1960's didn't have one) I can't go so far as to agree with Dreamer's evaluation of the situation in that there was a valid perception on the part of the Legislature at that time regarding the legal action necessary to keep the peace.

Dreamer

imported post

buzzsaw wrote:
...I can't go so far as to agree with Dreamer's evaluation of the situation in that there was a valid perception on the part of the Legislature at that time regarding the legal action necessary to keep the peace.
Well, that is basically what I said...

The "valid reason" was that there were people in the State House in Raleigh (and still are...) who believed that "certain types of people" shouldn't be allowed the basic human right of self defense. They believed this because in their eyes, "certain types of people" weren't really "whole human beings", but rather, more like 2/3 of a person...

The latest blog from the Violence Policy Center really shows the agenda that gun controllers have had all along--they are FINALLY starting to come clean on what they REALLY intend to do:

"For blacks, like all victims of homicide, guns — usually handguns — are far and away the number one murder tool. Successful efforts to reduce America’s black homicide toll must put a focus on reducing access to firearms."
These gun-grabbers are FINALLY showing their true colors. And those colors are pure white, with a pointy hood...

VPC, Brady Campaign, and their ilk want to bring black the "Black Codes". It is their heatfelt opinion that "certain types of people" (and we ALL know what THAT means) are so uncivilized, unevolved, and prone to violence that they simply can't be trusted to exercise their 2A rights.

What's next Sugarmann and Helmke? Are you going to tell us that "certain types of people" shouldn't be allowed access to printing presses and laser printers? Or maybe you're going to suggest that "certain types of people" will no longer have the "right to remain silent"? Or maybe you'll want them to billet our soldiers and police in their homes?...

Chip, chip, chip...

We see you for what you are.

We are appalled and disgusted that so many of the people you've duped are the VERY people you are trying to strip of their BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS.

And we are ashamed that we've let America come to this...

Perhaps it's time that patriotic Americans stop stockpiling ammo, and start stockpiling feathers, tar and rails, upon which to ride out of town the treasonous, Constitution-shredding, human rights denying scum (like Helmke and Sugarmann) that have infiltrated our once-Brave nation...

Dreamer

imported post

i contacted my state Rep and Senator today, to get the bal rolling on revising §14.288.7 to get rid of the ban on sale, possession and transport of firearms and ammo language.

Since the NRA and GRNC don't seem to be doing anything about it, I figure SOMEONE needed to pick up the flag and run...

I'm going to be drafting revised languare for this statute, and also submitting a new statute that has "anti-Katrina" type language as well.

I'll keep the forum updated on the progress of this action. Stay tuned!

Dreamer

imported post

Although HB 257 (which by the way, is from the 2009 session, and was stalled in the House Judiciary Committee III) is a steo in the right direction, it only addresses the CONFISCATION of lawfully-owned firearms.

It does not repeal the ban on purchase of firearms or ammo during declared states of emergency, and it does not prohibit LEO's from citing an individual for carrying during a SoE. It only prohibits confiscating lawfully-owned firearms.

So you could keep your firearms, and even carry them off your property (which is good) but you could still be legally detained, searched and otherwise harassed...

The entire language for prohibition and restriction during SoE's needs to be struck from the statute, not just watered down for people with CHPs. There are plenty of other laws already on the books to address "unlawfully possessed" firearms....