• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guests with LOC on private property?

Guy B. Meredith

imported post

I know that property residents can LOC or CCW on their own property, but does this extend to guests as well?

Just wondering whether well advertised LOC barbecues on private property would be a worthwhile tool. Bradys and others would not be permitted on the property without committing a crime so that might help maintain distance.

Are other locations available that would have the same advantages of private property?

The only problem is that this advertises to criminals where they might be able to steal firearms.

Just brain storming...

camsoup

imported post

You as the property owner can only LOC if your property is not considered a "public place", an unfenced front yard, is considered a "public place" via overtutrf. Therefore LOC in incorporated area on your front (unfenced) lawn is a 12031 violation.

God bless America...:uhoh:

Guy B. Meredith

imported post

Actually the question about the fence was not serious, but the information is interesting.

Wonder if this could apply to other things like those turkeys that let their friggin mutts urinate on my lawn and turn it brown.

Oh, well.

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

Yep. It's considered a public place. Best way to keep 'em off your lawn is to shoot 'em!:celebrate

OK, maybe not.:p

onedavetoomany

imported post

If you posted "No Trespassing" signs around the perimeter of the front yard, would it still be considered a public place? I think the best approach would be to use the fence and the sign.

Guy B. Meredith

imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
Yep. It's considered a public place. Best way to keep 'em off your lawn is to shoot 'em!:celebrate

OK, maybe not.:p

No, doesn't rise to level of deserving violence.

Sometimes, however, when I see these people and have my dog out I will say something like "No, Bella, no snacks." as she looks at the offending mutt. They seem to find that there is a more convenient sidewalk on the other side of the street or at least treat our walk as if it were covered with rattlesnakes.

Truth is that Bella would rather play than fight, but her energy can be intimidating. She has decked a dog three times her size in play and could snap at the little yappers as one bit her last year. Just a warning snap, though.

:cool:

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

camsoup wrote:
You as the property owner can only LOC if your property is not considered a "public place", an unfenced front yard, is considered a "public place" via overtutrf. Therefore LOC in incorporated area on your front (unfenced) lawn is a 12031 violation.
To be clear, Overturf wasn't so much about him being in a public place as it was about the exemption he claimed.

12031(h):
Code:
[quote]Nothing in this section shall prevent any person engaged in  any lawful business, including a nonprofit organization, or any  officer, employee, or agent authorized by that person for lawful  purposes connected with that business, from having a loaded firearm  within the person's place of business, or any person in lawful  possession of private property from having a loaded firearm on that  property.[/quote]
The court in Overturf found that the legislature's use of the term "have" implied only "possession", and that possession is distinctly different than "carrying". The court then defines "carrying" as transporting from one place to another.

So, if you are immobile, or your firearm is resting on a nearby table/chair/whatever, then you're covered under the above exemption... maybe.

However, as we learned in Theseus' 626.9 case, the trial court may get kinda crazy when determining what "private property" is...

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

The newly published case of People v. Strider is what you all need to read re "public place" for purposes of Section 12031 - and yes, the fence issue is key to making private land not a "public place."

The "private poperty" school zone exemption is another thing entirely.