• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Micro Desert Eagle -- can it fire w/o pulling the trigger?

tai4de2

imported post

I have a Micro Desert Eagle pocket .380. One thing I don't see anywhere in the documentation is an indication of a firing pin block or other similar mechanism to prevent the pistol from discharging unless the trigger is actually pulled.

So what prevents this gun from firing if struck, rattled etc. while in my pocket with a round chambered?

I do see things like "Safety: DAO" in the specs, but unless I am mistaken, this would not actually provide the kind of safety I am thinking about because once I insert a mag and rack the slide, the hammer is cocked... and stays while the gun is in my pocket.

There's a diagram on page 22 of the manual (http://www.magnumresearch.com/docs/manuals/MICRO EAGLE.pdf)... anyone care to take a look and see if there's something I missed?

Trigger Dr

imported post

With a DA only firearm, the hammer , or striker as the case may be, is not cocked. The action of depressiong the trigger to fire performs the Double Action of cocking the gun and then firing. The hammed is a rebound type and will rest in the down position but not in contact with the firing pin. The hammer will contact the firing pin ONLY when the trigger is pulled all the way back. As soon as the trigger is released, the hammer "rebounds" away from the firing pin. You will be OK carrying with a round in the chamber. Thank Ralph Nader for that.

tai4de2

imported post

Thanks for that reply.

I get that DAO means that for each shot, the trigger pull performs the 2 actions of cocking the hammer and striking the firing pin.

On my MDE the hammer is exposed, and I can indeed see that after I rack the slide, the hammer is not in the cocked position. That makes sense, since the trigger pull is supposed to do that as the first of the 2 trigger actions.

Comparing the MDE to a Keltec P3AT... the latter has a hammer block, described in great length in their manual. Is there something different about the design of the Keltec's hammer vs. that of the MDE, such that the Keltec benefits from a hammer block but the MDE doesn't need one to achieve a similar level of safety?

Is my MDE missing one form of safety in comparison to the Keltec?

tai4de2

imported post

Appreciate the background info... can anyone answer my question about whether the hammer design on the MDE is missing a level of safety feature vs. (say) the P3AT (which has a hammer block)?

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

BrenTen wrote:
bennie1986 wrote:
Read the review in NRA's American Rifleman. That gun is worthless Sell it and buy another gun.
What?

http://www.americanhandgunner.com/wblastMA10c.html

Here is the review, which praises the weapon as innovative, pleasant, reliable and fun to shoot. True it is no J frame smith, but I don't see any reason to say it is worthless.
I owned one for a few weeks. After a couple of trips to the range I decided I didn't like having burning gunpowder blown back at me through the two gas ports in the barrel. Also, the trigger pull was obnoxiously heavy and the sights were very hard to see. I traded it straight across for a Bersa Thunder. Even though I took a beating on the deal, money wise, I'm a much happier camper.

Capn Camo

imported post

I train to carry without one in the pipe (G26), it takes no more time for me anyway, to draw and fire, or draw, rack and fire, the left hand isnt doing anything at the time the right is drawing. Concealed draw, rack, aim, fire, about 1.5 seconds. Depends on your physical condition, training, how you carry... just a suggestion.

tai4de2

imported post

Thanks for the info about the safety of the hammer.

About the MDE -- this is my second pocket .380, and it replaced a Kel-tec P3AT, which I really did not like. The MDE was a vast improvement over the Kel-tec in every possible way (except the heavier weight). However, still not completely satisfied, today I bought my third pocket .380... and it's another pretty large improvement over the MDE... I'll start a separate thread about it.

Tawnos

imported post

Capn Camo wrote:
I train to carry without one in the pipe (G26), it takes no more time for me anyway, to draw and fire, or draw, rack and fire, the left hand isnt doing anything at the time the right is drawing. Concealed draw, rack, aim, fire, about 1.5 seconds. Depends on your physical condition, training, how you carry... just a suggestion.
Dog attacks, you're busy trying to push it off with your left hand... How easy/quick is racking then?

Metalhead47

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
Capn Camo wrote:
Dog attacks, you're busy trying to push it off with your left hand... How easy/quick is racking then?
+9. Plenty of survival/horror stories out there of people who had to quickly draw & shoot one handed. Especially with a DA-ish glock, you'd think he's be comfortable carrying with one in the chamber.

Trigger Dr

imported post

You forget....♪♫♪♪♫♫...it is Captain CAMO..♪♫♪♪♫♫....he can do wonderous things far beyond the ability of us mere mortals.:cuss:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

One in the pipe is my preferred way and if their is a safety then that is engaged.

The issue of not having one in the pipe does take more time and adds another step to put the gun into action, you need to be able to operate the firearm one handed.

If one is attacked and they are on you, you will not be able to chamber a round to use your weapon, it becomes a club.

In confrontation you may have to use your off hand to gain distance to employ your weapon or worse you loose the ability to use one of your hands, how quick will one be now if you did not have one chambered?

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

There's a reason it's called a HANDgun, not a HANDSgun. One in the pipe, with a quality holster that covers the triggerguard, and you have no reason to be concerned. If you have trained your fingers correctly (to stay away from the trigger, etc..) you won't have a problem.

I have been in a situation where I needed my gun and did not have the opportunity to rack the slide had I needed to (I was already chambered w/my G22).

Trigger Dr

imported post

May 3, 2006 I was attacked by 2 pitbulls while working in my back yard. One had my right hand and was biting HARD. I called to my wife to get my gun. Before she got there, the owner started hitting the dogs with a broom handle. and they went back home. If I had been carrying my gun at that time with an empty chamber, I would not have been in any better position than I was without the gun.

CARRY FULLY LOADED