• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weaver vs. Isosceles

Which stance do you use?

• Weaver

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Isosceles

• Both, depending on the situation

• Neither, one handed; Dirty Harry style.

• Gang style, sideways. (PS, I also can't hit the broad side of a barn.)

• Total voters

malignity

imported post

Simple enough, which stance do you use when shooting? I learned on Weaver, but my CPL instructor taught Isosceles EXCLUSIVELY, and refused to teach us 'proper' Weaver stance. I try to stay Isosceles, however, always find myself going back to Weaver stance.

What about you?

kevron2020

imported post

with me it all depends on the situation. I found when I shoot weaver I tend to lean back. I try and train both and some other variations of kneeling, laying, off hand, etc.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Stance? I have no intention of standing still! And I never practice standing still.

Although I suppose while moving one could say I was using...

Isosceles! No, not really... Weaver! No, not really... Body moving while crapping pants!.... Yeah... that's the one!:D

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Bad case of tendinitis back in 81 or 82 so I'm pretty much stuck with the weaver. The Isosceles causes my arm toshake being extended like that. If I could add about 5 pounds or so to my Glock I might be able to do an Isosceles stance.

malignity

imported post

kevron2020 wrote:
with me it all depends on the situation. I found when I shoot weaver I tend to lean back. I try and train both and some other variations of kneeling, laying, off hand, etc.

That's funny, I lean back when doing isosceles, especially if it's a gun I've never shot before. A friend of mine has a video of me shooting a .44 magnum, and I look terrified because I'm leaning back so far. :lol:

manicdevery

imported post

malignity wrote:
Simple enough, which stance do you use when shooting? I learned on Weaver, but my CPL instructor taught Isosceles EXCLUSIVELY, and refused to teach us 'proper' Weaver stance. I try to stay Isosceles, however, always find myself going back to Weaver stance.

What about you?
same with my instructor too. this may sounds silly but i love isosceles unless i am unloading an entire clip as fast as i can then i don't feel as stable as when i am in weaver, especially with my 30 rd mag.

Devery

Taurus850CIA

imported post

I use the Chapman stance. It looks like a sort of modified Weaver stance. It's what has always felt natural to me. Isosceles feels somewhat cumbersome.

Yooper

imported post

Isosceles...or some kind of home remedy variation of it.

There are people (Swat types) that shoot sideways, because the recoil helps them move to their next target faster. But I'm sure the gang bangers are the only ones to do it one handed.

malignity

imported post

Surprisingly enough, TheSzerdi shoots almost exclusively one handed... and at 25 yards, can do tighter grouping with his 1911 than I can with my Glock using my normal stance. He uses the sights of course, not cocked sideways like a gang banger, but still, it's impressive to watch.

Bronson

imported post

A while back I read an article that laid out some research done with officers who had been involved in shootings. The vast majority of them, regardless of what style they were trained in or how much training they had, resorted to a crouch with hips and shoulders facing the threat and firing one handed without using the sights. The article had a disturbing statistic that in the years since two handed, front sight focused shooting has beenin voguewith law enforcement the police, nationally, have an 85% miss rate in actual shootings.

The author went on to say that this falls back to instinct. When threatened we tend to face what is threatening us and crouch and if we have something in our hand be it a stick, rock, or gun we hold it up between us and the threat. We also focus our attention and vision completely on the threat. His contention was thatshooters should first be taught to utilize these instinctual responses and learn one handed point shooting (not using the sights) and then move into two handed front sight focused shooting as a more advanced technique suitable for longer ranges.

Lately I'vebeen practicing with this and am getting to the point where I can keep them all within the torso of a silhouette target while shooting one handed from the hip at about 20 ft. I also like the one handed shooting because it frees up my other hand to help deal with an attacker who is in contact range.

Oh, and it's a heck of a lot of fun :D

Bronson

Yooper

imported post

Bronson wrote:
A while back I read an article that laid out some research done with officers who had been involved in shootings.  The vast majority of them, regardless of what style they were trained in or how much training they had, resorted to a crouch with hips and shoulders facing the threat and firing one handed without using the sights.  The article had a disturbing statistic that in the years since two handed, front sight focused shooting has been in vogue with law enforcement the police, nationally, have an 85% miss rate in actual shootings.

The author went on to say that this falls back to instinct.  When threatened we tend to face what is threatening us and crouch and if we have something in our hand be it a stick, rock, or gun we hold it up between us and the threat.  We also focus our attention and vision completely on the threat.  His contention was that shooters should first be taught to utilize these instinctual responses and learn one handed point shooting (not using the sights) and then move into two handed front sight focused shooting as a more advanced technique suitable for longer ranges.

Lately I've been practicing with this and am getting to the point where I can keep them all within the torso of a silhouette target while shooting one handed from the hip at about 20 ft.  I also like the one handed shooting because it frees up my other hand to help deal with an attacker who is in contact range.

Oh, and it's a heck of a lot of fun :D

Bronson

I agree with what you said, although one handed shooting has never felt natural to me, but when I've subject myself to self defense style shooting scenarios I usually just point and shoot (2 hands). All the shooting was done between 3 and 15 yards. Of the dozen or so times I've done it, I've always had 35 to 39 shots out of 40 in the center mass or head area. Yet, when I try to shoot in a normal "plinking" stance, using sights I can't seem to hit anything.

Same goes with my bow, which I don't have sights on. I can draw, look at the target, and let the arrow fly and be a lot better than if I sit there and try and figure out where I'm the arrow's going to hit.

jooos

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
Stance? I have no intention of standing still! And I never practice standing still.

Although I suppose while moving one could say I was using...

Isosceles! No, not really... Weaver! No, not really... Body moving while crapping pants!.... Yeah... that's the one!:D

I would have to say I use both, but I do move quite a bit, I'm of the shoot, move, and stay alive school. I feel like I can move better with Isosceles[/quote], although I feel myself being more unorthodox.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Bad case of tendinitis back in 81 or 82 so I'm pretty much stuck with the weaver. The Isosceles causes my arm toshake being extended like that. If I could add about 5 pounds or so to my Glock I might be able to do an Isosceles stance.
Do they make a 100 rd mag for that glock:shock:?:celebratespringerdave.

lapeer20m

imported post

i am a weaver guy myself....

i am obviously more accurate with 2 hands, but one interesting thing i have found about shooting one handed is that i am equally accurate with my right or left hand. This was surprising to me, because i can do very few things well with my left hand, i am very right hand dominate.