View Poll Results: Do you feel the Ridley Report is causing harm to the OC movement?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

3 7.89%
  • no

35 92.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ridley Report

Banned

Post imported post

IMHO these Ridley Report people are doing more harm than good by instigation, contempt, and their childish sarcasm, what do you think?

Here is one exsample of one of their videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xufnLRt2qkw

They have over 1000 videos on youtube, only some deal with open carry, but because they have gotten so big, Im afraid that people are getting the wrong idea, and will tend to lump us together with other groups that we do not wish to be associated with.

Thoughts?

Post imported post

I don't think its harming the OC movement at all. Most of the videos have to do with liberty, and challenging the status quo of the New Hampshire government.

+1 for the Free State Project.
    If ever you find yourself in a situation where you can't be safe, be violent!

Post imported post

I watch most of the Ridley Report videos. I like the guy and I think that he usually takes a centrist position and does not support the "fringe" even when he puts up their A/V. If I had to choose between associating OC with "gun carrying maniacs" and "hippies" I'd go with the latter.

Banned

Post imported post

I like the Ridley reports and do not believe they harm anyone.

Post imported post

The only harm Dave does is by singing those jingles.

Otherwise I think he does good stuff. +1 to Dave.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

There are several ways to look at this. On the one hand yes, there is the potential of doing harm to the OC movement. This is due to primarily two things. 1) The general population is not accustomed to seeing people carrying arms. 2) The police are caught between a rock and a hard place, desperately wishing there was a law prohibiting this sort of behavior.

However, there is the other view of this activity. For too many years, Americans have become complacent about their rights and have moved further and further away form what for most of our history, was completely normal and accepted behavior by her citizens: people openly and honestly carrying arms as they went about their business. THIS IS THE NORMAL BEHAVIOR OF OUR PEOPLE.

Carrying a firearm, whether open or concealed, was once viewed as not only as natural as breathing, but expected behavior and favorable behavior. We really need to get back to this mindset if we are to continue as a free country... not to mention to be a threat to those who would do us harm.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

When I first heard the term "open carry" Dave's videos were one of the first things I saw on the subject. At first I was floored that it existed, and only a small percentage of the population knew about it. I quickly found OCDO afterward. I learned a lot about open carry and rights in general thanks to Ridley Report. I support his videos.

Banned

Post imported post

The RidleyReport is one of the first places I too heard about open carry. My problem is that I think they are doing the right thing the wrong way. I feel their methods are going to put people off to what they are trying to do.

I open carry, I beleive pot should be legal, and if a girl wants to go topless, its not my place,(or uncle sams) to tell her not to. But the sarcasm, and the mocking sing songy voices arentwhat I want people to remember when they see me OC.

Post imported post

I can't say I noticed any sarcasm in any of Dave's videos, including the one to which you linked here.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Well I think the distinction should be made that the Ridley Report is mostly about folks in the New Hampshire Free State project and so their goals and actions may not always coincide with the OCDO goals, but they often do. I would say he is as responsible for the folks he films as I am, meaning he is not at all at 'fault' for what they do. That said I think he does no harm reporting on the FSP activities and I support their endevours.

Post imported post

My favorite Ridley Report is the one where they go to the Police Department with one of them "armed" with a pitchfork. The police officer confiscates the pitchfork on the street.

Made me wonder what the pitchfork control laws were in New Hampshire!
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Ridley Rocks!

You can learn a bit about LEO interactions and OC watching Ridley.

LIVE FREE OR DIE!
    Live Free or Die!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

I was determined to open carry before I heard of Ridley or this site. I was trying to do research into what kind of trouble I could expect although I knew it to be legal in my state.

I stumbled across Ridley and really like what they are doing. They are more "active" in their interactions which I think is totally fine. Since they have a good core group and very active about helping each other out. I was excited that I was not alone in wanting to do what I wanted to do although they were across the country.

Then I stumbled upon this site, and was very thankful, it is more about what I am about, "normalizing" open carry. Very knowledgeable folks for the most part who cite law and articles and judgments and come together in non-confrontational ways such as BBQ's and OC meets that is in line more with how I would prefer doing things.

That is not to say that I would not participate in stronger demonstrations if the need would arise.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    The RidleyReport is one of the first places I too heard about open carry. My problem is that I think they are doing the right thing the wrong way. I feel their methods are going to put people off to what they are trying to do.
    There is no "they" in the Ridley Report. The Ridley Report is exactly one person: Dave Ridley.

He sometimes uses other people's footage, or reports on their activities, but he's reporting, not participating.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I like the Ridley videos.

Many of them, as already stated here, are about liberty in general.

First of, the Liberty Activist are... an interesting group of people up there in NH and MA.

All I have to say, there is nothing being done wrong in these videos, at least for the most part. They do get into some questionable areas sometimes about "victim-less" crimes such as letting someone borrow your car that doesn't have insurance which is crap, but whatever.

However, as far as carrying a gun and educating or challenging people to challenge the carrier? No, nothing wrong there. These people, looking for engagements, just need to be careful they DO OR SAY NOTHING to incriminate themselves or otherwise allow the officer to lawfully detain or arrest the carrier.

I watched a video of a Terry stop on youtube where a guy is at a convenient store, openly carrying a holstered sidearm. A female officer and a male officer confront him. They get abrasive and angry at the mans refusal to "cooperate" and the guy was pretty much COOL.... until he threw down the cigarette he was smoking *I smack my head* I'd rather eat the thing than give the cops any satisfaction or reason to detain me. Depending on where you live, they could possibly "hold your gun" while they criminally investigate your littering or even take your gun away because you had it during the commission of a crime. I could be wrong, but why try the system that far?

Post imported post

tekshogun wrote:
    I watched a video of a Terry stop on youtube where a guy is at a convenient store, openly carrying a holstered sidearm. A female officer and a male officer confront him. They get abrasive and angry at the mans refusal to "cooperate" and the guy was pretty much COOL.... until he threw down the cigarette he was smoking *I smack my head* I'd rather eat the thing than give the cops any satisfaction or reason to detain me. Depending on where you live, they could possibly "hold your gun" while they criminally investigate your littering or even take your gun away because you had it during the commission of a crime. I could be wrong, but why try the system that far?
    Do you have a link?
    Live Free or Die!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
    tekshogun wrote:
    Do you have a link?

As a matter of fact:

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWKIFXCyEOc

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLf0J_YMTBE

Post imported post

Seems typical of LEO. Pretty much how my encounter went. "We know better than you so just cooperate" and hostile too. They get so mad when someone decides to stand up for the 4th.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    My favorite Ridley Report is the one where they go to the Police Department with one of them "armed" with a pitchfork. The police officer confiscates the pitchfork on the street.

Made me wonder what the pitchfork control laws were in New Hampshire!
    do you happen to know which one that was?

Post imported post

As I mentioned in the other thread:

Central planning doesn't work on liberty activism.

Post imported post

Ridley and the free staters kick ass. I moved out of NH over three years ago, if I'd known about this group I might not have made that decision. THey are not harming OC or 2A at all, believe it or not, there is still a pretty fierce independnce streak in the NH residents. Lots of them take "Live free or Die" seriously.

Post imported post

Ca Patriot wrote:
    I think these people are kinda stupid and will harm gun rights. They look to me exactly like the kids you met in college whose parents didnt love them and now they were being taught Marxism or Thoreau by some wacky professor and are all hyped up to go rub it in someomes face and scream and jump up and down.

From the videos I watched online they present some just stupid legal arguments and do so in a juvenile way. For instance, when they were trying to sell some food on the sidewalk and the cop tells them there is a "city ordinance" against it the ridley bafoon asks "what is a 'city' " ? What authority exists to allow a "city" to exist ?

These people arent libertarians, they are just dumb and selfish with a chip on their shoulders.
    Why so bitter? Are they harming you? Are they doing anything illegal?

Post imported post

Ca Patriot wrote:
    Yes they are doing things illegal. You can debate the point but from what I have heard they have had MANY arrests and they admit to carrying out acts of "civil disobedience" which have resulted in arrests and convictions.

In general I support their underlying cause and fundemental beliefs but the way they go about implemeting them are foolish and juvenile.

Perhaps if Rosa Parks would of just followed the law and sat in the back of the bus things would be ok.

While I cringe when I see people push the envelope, I understand that in order to further our Rights some must carry out acts of 'civil disobedience'. Not my thing, but in a free society I understand its necessity in movements like open carry.
    Live Free or Die!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast