• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FREE Intro to Steel

varminter22

imported post

Stillwater Firearms Association Presents

“Introduction to Steel Plate
Match Shooting” Seminar

March 6, 2010
10:00 a.m.

3.5 miles north of Rattlesnake Raceway, entrance on Indian Lakes Road

This is your chance to see what steel plate match shooting is all about! We frequently hear shooters say, “I like to shoot, but I’m not good enough to compete.” Well, we have a solution for that! All shooters are classed by shooting ability, from Master Class through Classes A, B, and C (novice/beginner).

This seminar will cover match format, range safety, shooting tips, and live fire at steel plate targets at 15 yards. Bring your handgun(s) and plenty of ammo! Nearly any centerfire autoloading pistol or double action revolver is appropriate; most suitable are .38 Special through .45 ACP calibers. NO magnum loads as they damage the steel targets. Spare magazines/speed loaders are recommended. Eye and ear protection required. (Limited number of spares will be available.)

Required is a solid knowledge of safe firearms handling. NRA certified Range Safety Officers will supervise the event.

“Strong side” holster required (no shoulder or crossdraw). Semi-auto handgun holsters must cover trigger. (A limited number of spare holsters may be available.)

If you have no handgun, attend anyway! A limited number of handguns will be available for you to try.

Youth and Ladies encouraged to attend! SFA shooting events are suitable for the entire family!

NO CHARGE!

Each registered attendee will also receive a ticket to win drawing prizes!

Lunch: $5

For more information, contact:
Ken Adams (775) 427-5294 or Dennis Rechel (775) 427-3086

Email: picku@cccomm.net or kclvstck@cccomm.net

Visit SFA online at: http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org

Stillwater Firearms Association
P. O. Box 665
Fallon NV 89407

Mike In Reno

imported post

im bored as hell, my shooting didnt turn out, it was rainy and wet, so i cancelled, im thinking about taking a ride to gvile or starbucks

jfrey123

imported post

I'm thinking I'd like to attend. My questions:

1. How much is "enough ammo"? 2 boxes? 4 boxes?

2. Is event completely open to public or SFA members?

3. About how long does the average event run?

varminter22

imported post

jfrey123 wrote:
I'm thinking I'd like to attend. My questions:

1. How much is "enough ammo"? 2 boxes? 4 boxes?

2. Is event completely open to public or SFA members?

3. About how long does the average event run?

Cool, John. Hope you can make it.

Bring as much (or little) ammo as you like. This isn't a "competition" but merely an opportunity to learn about these matches and do some shooting. I would say bring at least a box or two of ammo. (More is always better! Ha!) But if someone wants to shoot only a few rounds (or none at all), that is fine too.

This IS open to the public. We'll conduct it much like we do at our regular matches, with SFA Safety Officers and NRA Range Safety Officers overseeing.

No defined "quitting time" - I'll guess we'll be there and shoot until at least 2:00 p.m. and probably much later IF the weather is good. No requirement to stay until we all leave though.

Our regularly sheduled matches go on, rain or shine. But in THIS case, do watch the weather and call or email soon before the event to ensure the event is still on.

Again, this is simply an opportunity to come out and see what our matches are all about - good, fun, friendly - and yes, competive - events, suitable for the entire family.

Many times we hear comments like, "I like to shoot but am not ready to compete." Those that come out and shoot QUICKLY find out different! These events are FUN and there is a class for nearly everyone, from C class (those that are not so quick or accurate) to B, A, and Master Class (those that are quick and accurate).

NO ONE will give anyone a hard time about their shooting abilities. To the contrary, folks will be glad to help. The only real requirement is a solid knowledge of safe gun handling skills.

Mike In Reno

imported post

im def going, im going to bring my gf with too, she wants to learn who to shoot, and since she likes guns, im sure she will really enjoy this!

varminter22

imported post

Way cool. We are seeing more and more females and youth in the sport.

And we need MORE. (Always!)

Again, the only REAL requirement is a solid knowledge of firearms handling skills. Load, shoot safetly, unload, show clear, etc...

varminter22

imported post

The focus will be on centerfire handguns. Typically, it takes a .38 or better to fell the steel plates. And typically, it takes a .40 or better to knock bowling pins off the table (some do use 9mm, etc, but the lighter bullets just don't have the "knock 'em off" power of the heavier bullets/calibers.)

But we also have lighter weight steel plates for the .22s. Don't know if we'll have the .22 plates out that day or not. But no problem, she can shoot .22s at the heavier plates and/or at paper or pins, I'm thinking. We had a couple of people shooting .22s at the last "Intro" event.

Bring what you have - and we'll try to accommodate.

Mike In Reno

imported post

roger that, thanks varmit! ill let the gf know, shes on the way over this morning for a valentines breakfast home made! yeahya!

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

Mike In Reno wrote:
im def going, im going to bring my gf with too, she wants to learn who to shoot, and since she likes guns, im sure she will really enjoy this!

Mike, I sure hope you meant your girlfriend wants to learn *HOW* to shoot, and not "who" to shoot, lol.

Too bad this venue is so far from San Jose or I'd be there for sure.:cry:

Have fun!