• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reviewing my new Hi Point .40SW handgun

cscitney87

imported post

Hey everyone. I just got back from the range so I'll give a few words on my new pistol. For a little background- I'm a small guy, 5' 10" 140 On a Good day. I have small hands. Sweaty palms when I shoot too.. Okay so from a physical standpoint that's where I am against the .40SW. Used Remington rounds in the green and white box- standard ball ammo. I have American Eagle from Federal but did Not try those today.

Short and sweet-

It's a sweet gun. It's not a "great pistol" because I've only fired 3 total different pistols in my life so I don't know what's great and what isn't. I know it's a good gun though. I like it. Easy to keep the bullets on target during successive firing. That's due to the counter weights I suppose and the full size frame/slide- which BTW is a great fill for my little hands. Feels good in the palms. The magazine release doesn't get in the way- like my Taurus does. I do think the safety switch feels just a tiny bit dinky, but not bad. The ghost ring circle rear site is awesome but I need to calibrate it over the course of hundreds of rounds. The plastic grip sweats up and slides alot unless I wipe off my hands on my shirt between clips. Speaking of clips...

It's true I had a jam- This is why-

Pistol says load 10 rounds in the magazine. First of all- the 10th round is rediculously hard to jam into the magazine, but possible. Second- well.. the pistol jamed every single time- on the 2nd round- when 10 are loaded.

Anything 9 rounds or less in the magazine produces PERFECT results. Every time. I love it.

Bottom line- I'm super happy with the purchase and I'll only be loading 9+1 until I
1) break in the pistol 2) try different brands of ammo.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Hey everyone.  I just got back from the range so I'll give a few words on my new pistol.  For a little background- I'm a small guy, 5' 10" 140 On a Good day.  I have small hands.  Sweaty palms when I shoot too.. Okay so from a physical standpoint that's where I am against the .40SW.   Used Remington rounds in the green and white box- standard ball ammo.  I have American Eagle from Federal but did Not try those today.

Short and sweet-

It's a sweet gun.  It's not a "great pistol" because I've only fired 3 total different pistols in my life so I don't know what's great and what isn't.  I know it's a good gun though.  I like it.  Easy to keep the bullets on target during successive firing.  That's due to the counter weights I suppose and the full size frame/slide- which BTW is a great fill for my little hands.  Feels good in the palms.  The magazine release doesn't get in the way- like my Taurus does.  I do think the safety switch feels just a tiny bit dinky, but not bad.  The ghost ring circle rear site is awesome but I need to calibrate it over the course of hundreds of rounds.  The plastic grip sweats up and slides alot unless I wipe off my hands on my shirt between clips.  Speaking of clips...

It's true I had a jam-  This is why-

Pistol says load 10 rounds in the magazine.  First of all- the 10th round is rediculously hard to jam into the magazine, but possible.  Second- well..  the pistol jamed every single time- on the 2nd round- when 10 are loaded.

Anything 9 rounds or less in the magazine produces PERFECT results.  Every time.  I love it.

Bottom line- I'm super happy with the purchase and I'll only be loading 9+1 until I
 1) break in the pistol 2) try different brands of ammo.

Nice review. I've been thinking of picking up a couple of these in 9mm, to keep around.

sovereigngrace

imported post

They are really great guns for the price, $150 at the most. and you can't beat the life time "no questions asked" warranty.

My dad has a 45. hi point and have never had a problem with jamming.

I have heard of people solving the jamming problem by "priming" their mags by keeping it loaded with bullets for like a week or so. Not sure if it works though.

hp-hobo

imported post

Welcome to the world of Hi-Point firearms. I hope you have a good sized budget for guns because before long you'll want to buy more of them.

Wait a minute, I have four Hi-Points for less than the price of one XD so maybe it's not that bad.

I notice you mentioned loading 9+1. Please reconsider. As much as I love my HP's, they really aren't safe for carrying with one in the chamber, because the safety doesn't block the striker. Although I've never seen it happen, one good bump could cause it to move past the sear assembly and creat a negligent discharge. Just sayin'.

A great support group for your new illness is;

http://www.hipointtalk.net/

Happy shooting.

P.S. Load your mag(s) full and let them sit. That'll help the springs take a bit of a set. That should take care of your FTF problem.

cscitney87

imported post

sovereigngrace wrote:
They are really great guns for the price, $150 at the most. and you can't beat the life time "no questions asked" warranty.

My dad has a 45. hi point and have never had a problem with jamming.

I have heard of people solving the jamming problem by "priming" their mags by keeping it loaded with bullets for like a week or so. Not sure if it works though.
That's exactly it yeah. The break in period is gunna be a few hundred rounds fired and definitely soften the mag spring in the process.

I would like to note that I did completely dissassemble the pistol, cleaned, and re-oiled sparingly to spec. I just happened to have the 1/8" punch.. the only punch in the whole house.:cool:

Edit: Thanks on the 9+1 for the advice I appreciate it.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lemme add a few points before the flaming begins. Hi-Points get a lot of flack from many people on gun boards, in part for some very good reasons. Hi-points are bulky and heavy for their calibers and have single stack mags limited to 10 rounds. Some call them "junk" because they are so inexpensive and not exactly beautiful (an understatement). Their triggers are not as crisp as more expensive guns. With all that, for someone just starting out and/or on a tight budget, they really fill an important niche. They are NOT like the POS Ravens or other "circle of fire" pistols, some of which are actually dangerous to shoot. I own a 9mm Hi-point carbine. After getting rid of their light plastic stock and installing a cool-looking ATI glass-filled nylon stock, I have a great fun-gun for blasting at the range. If I had plinking areas around me, I would be out there with my carbine. It is surprisingly accurate now that I'm used to the trigger, and it is incredibly reliable. I've fired many hundreds of rounds down range (back when 9mm was plentiful and cheap) and have had only one or two FTF's, always near the end of the day when they were filthy . A fair number of the guys at the range have asked about it, tried it and have been impressed. For $150 bucks, it's one of the best bargains out there.

With regard to your magazine, I would send it back to Hi-point with a little explanation note. The mags SHOULD be able to handle all 10 rounds without a hitch and I'm sure they will send you another one (possibly two) at no charge. They really stand behind their product.

cscitney87

imported post

Thanks for the kind words. I know about the "flame" issue and figured I needed not bring it up. The first place I called for the pistol told me they "don't carry guns that don't fire." I also took note of the grand warrenty. Personally I got the Hi Point only because of the warrenty. My used Taurus came without warrenty. That's fine but I also had to cover my bases, so to speak. About the magazine- I spent time at the above mentioned Hi Point forum and indeed the springs are very tight NIB.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
Snip.....
As much as I love my HP's, they really aren't safe for carrying with one in the chamber, because the safety doesn't block the striker. Although I've never seen it happen, one good bump could cause it to move past the sear assembly and creat a negligent discharge. Just sayin'.

Cite to source, please.

The manufacturer and reviews would seem to disagree. If the sear is blocked, the striker will not function - correct?

A thumb safety on the left side of the frame blocks the sear when engaged. To provide additional protection, the design includes a spring-loaded sear block that falls under the sear pin arm and prevents sear movement if the pistol is dropped while a weight counteracts sear movement.
http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/hipoint_100605/index1.html

Yata hey

cscitney87

imported post

It's very true about the sear protection. There's more than 1 actual mechanical fail safe.

I forgot to mention in my OP that I paid $189 for the pistol and local ammo was $18.95 for the 50 of both brands I talked about. I've seen them online for super cheap and definitely heard from locals about bunker buster deals. I jumped on $189 as the gun shop was only 5 minutes from my house.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
It's very true about the sear protection. There's more than 1 actual mechanical fail safe.

I forgot to mention in my OP that I paid $189 for the pistol and local ammo was $18.95 for the 50 of both brands I talked about. I've seen them online for super cheap and definitely heard from locals about bunker buster deals. I jumped on $189 as the gun shop was only 5 minutes from my house.

Yah, I don't know where people see these for $150 or less. $189 to $199 is what I see them for.

I'm actually thinking about buying a .45 Hi-Point. Just for snicks. But I would NEVER tell anyone I did it....

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Well, Hank.....I bought mine last year OTD for $149.99.....! Of course I got adiscount......HehHeh.:p

You're correct on the $189 price now, though.:dude:

I might wait for them to put out a commemorative model.

That way it'll hold it's value better...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

HankT wrote:
TheMrMitch wrote:
Well, Hank.....I bought mine last year OTD for $149.99.....! Of course I got adiscount......HehHeh.:p
You're correct on the $189 price now, though.:dude:
I might wait for them to put out a commemorative model.

That way it'll hold it's value better...
Maybe a signature HankT OC model. :p :)

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Words of wit, whimsy and wisdom - the intractable, incorrigible, invisible HaaaankTee!

Joisey's gift to OCDO- humorist, satirist, eye poking, true believer.

_
VCD
posts - that's 5400 to you non-Latin scholars.
_
+50 more posts HankT and you'll have VCDL post count

You'll have to come to Va. to claim your prize though.

Yata hey

Ezrider

imported post

i have a c-9 its a great range gun, not the best carry gun but they are reliable and there guarantee is awesome. no questions asked call them and they mail the part that you ask for. they are not the best carry gun because they are big bulky and heavy. i have carried mine they are ok for oc, cc the only comfortable way iv found to carry it is in a shoulder holster. i hardly ever carry it anymore but it is fun to shoot on the range. with some 1500 grit sand paper and a quick skuffing over all the metal to metal contant points in the entire trigger system will give you a much better trigger pull. mine will feed anything very reliably other than anything in aluminum caseings does not like them for some reason. mine feeds hollow points just as well as ball ammo. i have about 1500 rounds threw my high point and had mabe 3 feed jams in the life of the gun on brass ammo. iv only shot mabye 200 rounds of alluminum cased ammo such as blazer or wolf threw it and with that i feed jamed about twice per 50 rounds. they are pretty accurate a can shoot about 3 inch groups at 3 yards, i can shoot tighter with some of my other pistols but realy not bad.

biggest cons,
trigger pull is rough and heavy unless you clean up your contact points and still is a bit grainy, but much better
bulky
heavy
ugly

pro's

good accuacy
reliable
low price
warentee
coustomer service
+p rated

in summary i think everyone should have one in there collection. not nesisarly as a primary carry gun but if its your only gun it is a fine carry gun other than some comfort issues.

btw highpoint does not recomend carrying +1 but whenever i have carryed it i have carryed +1, there is a drop safty and a sear block

hp-hobo

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Thanks for the kind words. I know about the "flame" issue and figured I needed not bring it up. The first place I called for the pistol told me they "don't carry guns that don't fire." I also took note of the grand warrenty. Personally I got the Hi Point only because of the warrenty. My used Taurus came without warrenty. That's fine but I also had to cover my bases, so to speak. About the magazine- I spent time at the above mentioned Hi Point forum and indeed the springs are very tight NIB.
Warranty.

My late model (adjustable sight) C9 had20,000ish (twenty thousand +/- 200) in under two years when I finally felt it was tired enough to take a trip home. In that time I found out that it liked the recoil and firing pin springs replaced at about 7,000-7,500 rounds (make a phone call, get 'em free). Then at about 18.5-19k rounds the accuracy started to drop off. The final nail in the coffin was when the extractor pin started walking out of the slide at about 19.7k rounds.

So of it went to Hi-Point. A week later I recieved it back. The tech worksheet said they replaced the slide, barrel, frame and all associated parts. In other words I had a brand new gun with the original serial number along with all of my several8 and 10- round mags replaced with new ones. They even threw in an extra mag for my "trouble".

Hi-Point firearms has the best customer service of any company I've ever dealt with anywhere. Their guns are pretty damn good too.

hp-hobo

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Cite to source, please.

The manufacturer and reviews would seem to disagree. If the sear is blocked, the striker will not function - correct?
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the manufacturer knows more about their gun than some reviewer... But that's just me. So you can decide which is a better source. Hi-Point Firearms or Paul Scarlata.

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/manuals/C-9_CF380.pdf

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/manuals/40sw.pdf

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/manuals/45acp.pdf

Read the first sentence after the CAUTION in each manual.

KansasMustang

imported post

I've never owned a High point never fired one but I have a Taurus PT140 like the one you pictured. I'm about the same size fella as you, however I have rather large hands. The Taurus is a little small in my hand and almost makes me want to put my index finger along the slide and fire it middle fingered, reckon I can flip the bad guy the bird at the same time I'm bustin' em inna ass.:lol: