• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to Leave

Morh

Hubert (One-Slow County), North Carolina, USA
imported post

today i was shopping in foodlion in EI when the asst. manager comes up to me and says "you cant wear that in here." no ive been OCing there for a year and a half, i work there about 2 days a month, i dont carry when i work. i was inside with my brother who is a EI cop, and i had an argument with him because he says it applys to employees and i said im not in the store as an employee but as a customer and he gave me this printout, and after reading it i told him im going to call home office and come monday i may not be an employee anymore.

Food Lion, LLC and J.H. Harvey Co., LLC Policy

to: All Associates and Vendors

Policy Statement

The Company stirctly prohibits weapons of any type in any company facility, on company premises, in any company vehicle, and at any company-sponsored events. (it then describes weapons)
Any associate of vendor claiming local law permits him or her to possess a licensed weapon in these locations despite this policy, must inform management that he of she possesses or intends to possess such a licensed weapon. Management should then immediately notify their Loss Prevention Representative.
Violation of the policy will result in disciplinary action, up to and including discharge.

i will not let a summer job dictate my life to me.

Amendment: after cooling off while writing this, i realize i miss titled this post, i was not asked to leave, i was told i couldnt bring it back in anymore.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Morh wrote:
today i was shopping in foodlion in EI when the asst. manager comes up to me and says "you cant wear that in here." no ive been OCing there for a year and a half, i work there about 2 days a month, i dont carry when i work. i was inside with my brother who is a EI cop, and i had an argument with him because he says it applys to employees and i said im not in the store as an employee but as a customer and he gave me this printout, and after reading it i told him im going to call home office and come monday i may not be an employee anymore.

Policy Statement

The Company stirctly prohibits weapons of any type in any company facility, on company premises, in any company vehicle, and at any company-sponsored events. (it then describes weapons)
Any associate of vendor claiming local law permits him or her to possess a licensed weapon in these locations despite this policy, must inform management that he of she possesses or intends to possess such a licensed weapon. Management should then immediately notify their Loss Prevention Representative.
Violation of the policy will result in disciplinary action, up to and including discharge.

Amendment: after cooling off while writing this, i realize i miss titled this post, i was not asked to leave, i was told i couldnt bring it back in anymore.

Given the current economic situation, I'm sure it would be hard on you, to give up those 2 days a month of employment. :uhoh:

Looks like one of the other super markets may be getting a new regular customer.

chiefjason

imported post

Lot's of companies try to have their employee policies creep into your off duty life. As a customer I have never had an issue while OC'ing at a local food kitty. On the other hand, the company I work for has thrift stores and I would probably not OC in there. Not worth the hassle it might bring on my full time job. That's the type of situation that I got my CCP for. But I rarely go in there anyway.

Gunslinger

imported post

Morh wrote:

Policy Statement

I oc'd in southside VA at Food Lions in the summer--too hot to conceal, back in the early 2000's. I had a manager at one ask if I'd come to his office so he could check out my Hi-Power, as he loved the pistol. Was happy to comply. When he saw the serial number, he asked for the history. I told him I carried it in my Phantom in SEA. Seems he was there too, and carried a Smith 9mm in his Buff. He was a Nav-bomb and we both thought the K-38 AF issue .38spcl was useless if you ever punched out. Great guy. We'd always chat when we saw each other in the store.

paramedic70002

imported post

The policy doesn't say on or off the clock. I would challenge him on that. So did he threaten you with termination?

Look around on the forum, there was a discussion recently where a manager who oversees VA and NC said FL follows state law, i.e. you are certainly legal as a customer.

KBCraig

imported post

It's pretty well settled that employers can restrict some off-duty activity, especially on the employer's premises.

When I managed a regional full-service restaurant, our rules welcomed off-duty employees as customers, but forbid them from hanging out and chatting. At that job, and while I worked for a major soft drink company, it was an instant firing offense to be seen buying, consuming, or even possessing a competitor's product while in uniform, whether on duty or not.

In this case, I'd say the manager is within his legal power to say "Hey, Employee, you can't wear a gun in here." And you'd be within your legal right to say, "I quit."

And then he'd still be within his legal power to order you to leave anyway.

It would be embarrassing for your brother to have to arrest your for trespass if you were told to leave and then didn't.