• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas license in Georgia

hidden_premise

imported post

My best friend has a texas license and is a legal texas resident. He lives here because we both go to college in georgia. I know we have full reciprocity with Texas and that he can carry concealed, however Texas is not an open carry state. Can he open carry when he is in Georgia? Where would I go to find this in legal terms? I have searched and searched, but haven't found anything.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

hidden_premise wrote:
My best friend has a texas license and is a legal texas resident. He lives here because we both go to college in georgia. I know we have full reciprocity with Texas and that he can carry concealed, however Texas is not an open carry state. Can he open carry when he is in Georgia? Where would I go to find this in legal terms? I have searched and searched, but haven't found anything.
Welcome to OCDO. It takes a while to familiarize yourself with the site, but the effort is worth it.

Quick answer (yes with permit) found on maps above, top left.
http://www.opencarry.org/ga.html

Be careful of statute specific to universities.

Yata hey

aadvark

imported post

Open Carry, of a Handgun/Pistol/Revolver,in Georgia is Legal with a License to do so, per Georgia Code 16-11-128.

Similiar to Texas, no License is need for Open Carry of a Rifle/Shotgun/Weapon, per Georgia Code 16-11-126.

Watch out for Public Gatherings, per Georgia Codes 16-11-127, 16-11-127.1, and 16-11-127.2! Remeber the 1000 foot rule as it pertains to Schools and Colleges/Universities!

rmodel65

imported post

yes he can OC or CC with his Texas permit....i suggest you both venture over to www.GeorgiaPacking.org and read up on the code sections

are either of you a GeorgiaCarry.Org member?? if not join up and help us lobby to make campus carry legal:cool:

aadvark

imported post

Yes, I am a member of Georgia Carry.

Yes, I support House Bill 615, and Senate Bills 291 and 308.

No, I do not agree with some of the provisions of Senate Bill 291, as the term 'Government Building', atleast for me, is hard to understand, or somewhat ambiguous.

Open Carry of a Loaded Pistol in Georgia off of the authority of a Georgia Firearms License, or it neighboring State counterpart,is Legal. However, Concealed Carry of a Loaded Pistol, within my belief, is Illegal, per Georgia Code 16-11-128.

All other Firearms, and Weapons, are required to be carried in the Open, per Georgia Code 16-11-126.

Hopefully soon, 16-11-127 through 16-11-128, and the Holster requirements set forth under 16-11-126 will be a thing of the Past!

rmodel65

imported post

loaded CC is 100% legal with a GFL.....the GCO question was for the OP and his texas buddy :) glad your a member too

16-11-126:

(c)This Code section shall not permit, outside of his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm by any person unless that person has on his or her person a valid license issued under Code Section 16-11-129 and the pistol, revolver, or firearm may only be carried in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, any other holster, hipgrip, or any other similar device, in which event the weapon may be concealed by the person's clothing, or a handbag, purse, attache case, briefcase, or other closed container. Any person having been issued a license to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129 shall be permitted to carry such weapon, subject to the limitations of this part, in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas as defined by Code Section 12-3-10 and in all wildlife management areas.

aadvark

imported post

Yea but..., per Georgia Code 16-11-128:

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-128
Carrying pistol without license

(a)A person commits the offense of carrying a pistol without a license when he has or carries on or about his person, outside of his home, motor vehicle, or place of business, any pistol or revolver without having on his person a valid license issued by the judge of the probate court of the county in which he resides, provided that no permit shall be required for persons with a valid hunting or fishing license on their person or for persons not required by law to have hunting licenses who are engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the persons have the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; provided, further, that the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, shall be carried only in an open and fully exposed manner.

(b)Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a pistol without a license, a person shall be punished as follows

(1)For the first offense, he shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2)For the second offense, and for any subsequent offense, he is guilty of a felony, and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than one year nor more than five years.

(c)On and after October 1, 1996, a person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect within such state to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such license holder shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

Therefore, it is within my belief, that when one goes armend with a Pistol in Public while in Georgia..., the Pistol must, whenver Loaded, be exposed only in an open manner and fully exposed to view [as is underlined and written in bold above].

I believe that his meshes well with the State Law you cited, as it provides, per Georgia Code 16-11-126 [notice the underlined part written in bold below]:

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Carrying a concealed weapon

(a)A person commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon when such person knowingly has or carries about his or her person, unless in an open manner and fully exposed to view, any bludgeon, knuckles whether made from metal, thermoplastic, wood, or other similar material, firearm, knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character outside of his or her home or place of business, except as permitted under this Code section.

(b)Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a concealed weapon, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1)For the first offense, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2)For the second offense, and for any subsequent offense, he or she shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than two years and not more than five years.

(c)This Code section shall not permit, outside of his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm by any person unless that person has on his or her person a valid license issued under Code Section 16-11-129 and the pistol, revolver, or firearm may only be carried in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, any other holster, hipgrip, or any other similar device, in which event the weapon may be concealed by the person's clothing, or a handbag, purse, attache case, briefcase, or other closed container. Any person having been issued a license to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129 shall be permitted to carry such weapon, subject to the limitations of this part, in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas as defined by Code Section 12-3-10 and in all wildlife management areas.

(d)This Code section shall not forbid the transportation of any firearm by a person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129, provided the firearm is enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition.

(e)This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle.

(f)On and after October 1, 1996, a person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect within such state to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such license holder shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

Therefore, per my argument to the contrary, a Pistol must, whenever Loaded, be carried only Openly, to advoid a technical Violation of Georgia Law 16-11-128.

Soon though, hopefully, we will no longer have to worry about 16-11-128, per House Bill 615 and Senate Bill 291!

P.S.1: Do not forget, if a Pistol is to be Carried Concealed it has to be in a Holster, but when Carried Openly, there need be no Holster. Therefore, like Tennessee Law prior to 1986, Open Carry of a Loaded Pistol, Openly in the Hand, provided, the same Person has a Georgia Firearms License or its equivalent, is Legal.

P.S.2: If the next to above paragraph becomes true, per Senate Bill 9, we need not preocupy ourselves with P.S.1, as above.

mark5019

imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
loaded CC is 100% legal with a GFL.....the GCO question was for the OP and his texas buddy :) glad your a member too

16-11-126:

are you saying that its unlawful to carry concealed a loaded handgun? if im wrong understanding your reply ill just let it go at that.
if you mean its unlawful ill say your wrong:)

hidden_premise

imported post

Thank you all for your replies! I look forward to being an active member of this community. I was just issued my GFL last friday

rmodel65

imported post

aadvark wrote:
Yea but..., per Georgia Code 16-11-128:

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-128
Carrying pistol without license

(a)A person commits the offense of carrying a pistol without a license when he has or carries on or about his person, outside of his home, motor vehicle, or place of business, any pistol or revolver without having on his person a valid license issued by the judge of the probate court of the county in which he resides, provided that no permit shall be required for persons with a valid hunting or fishing license on their person or for persons not required by law to have hunting licenses who are engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the persons have the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; provided, further, that the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, shall be carried only in an open and fully exposed manner.

(b)Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a pistol without a license, a person shall be punished as follows

(1)For the first offense, he shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2)For the second offense, and for any subsequent offense, he is guilty of a felony, and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than one year nor more than five years.

(c)On and after October 1, 1996, a person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect within such state to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such license holder shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

Therefore, it is within my belief, that when one goes armend with a Pistol in Public while in Georgia..., the Pistol must, whenver Loaded, be exposed only in an open manner and fully exposed to view [as is underlined and written in bold above].

I believe that his meshes well with the State Law you cited, as it provides, per Georgia Code 16-11-126 [notice the underlined part written in bold below]:

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Carrying a concealed weapon

(a)A person commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon when such person knowingly has or carries about his or her person, unless in an open manner and fully exposed to view, any bludgeon, knuckles whether made from metal, thermoplastic, wood, or other similar material, firearm, knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character outside of his or her home or place of business, except as permitted under this Code section.

(b)Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a concealed weapon, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1)For the first offense, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2)For the second offense, and for any subsequent offense, he or she shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than two years and not more than five years.

(d)This Code section shall not forbid the transportation of any firearm by a person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129, provided the firearm is enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition.

(e)This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle.

(f)On and after October 1, 1996, a person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect within such state to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such license holder shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

Therefore, per my argument to the contrary, a Pistol must, whenever Loaded, be carried only Openly, to advoid a technical Violation of Georgia Law 16-11-128.

Soon though, hopefully, we will no longer have to worry about 16-11-128, per House Bill 615 and Senate Bill 291!

P.S.1: Do not forget, if a Pistol is to be Carried Concealed it has to be in a Holster, but when Carried Openly, there need be no Holster. Therefore, like Tennessee Law prior to 1986, Open Carry of a Loaded Pistol, Openly in the Hand, provided, the same Person has a Georgia Firearms License or its equivalent, is Legal.

P.S.2: If the next to above paragraph becomes true, per Senate Bill 9, we need not preocupy ourselves with P.S.1, as above.

ftfy.....