• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GAME WARDENS

VaGunTrader

imported post

We were duck hunting a few weeks ago and while on the way back in our boat we passed the game warden and he stopped us, checked our hunting license, checked for steel shot, asked to look at our shotguns and they removed our shells to see if it had a plug.

We complied and were cooperative and they acted profesional. But I was wondering about what their powers are. Although we complied with them I was just wondering what I'm required by law to comply to? The same as any other law enforcement officer?

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Same as Virginia State Police when acting within the scope of their jurisdiction. They have the same powers to arrest for a felony or for a misdemeanor committed in their presence.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

trx680 wrote:
We were duck hunting a few weeks ago and while on the way back in our boat we passed the game warden and he stopped us, checked our hunting license, checked for steel shot, asked to look at our shotguns and they removed our shells to see if it had a plug.

We complied and were cooperative and they acted profesional. But I was wondering about what their powers are. Although we complied with them I was just wondering what I'm required by law to comply to? The same as any other law enforcement officer?
There isn't such a thing in Va anymore. they are Conversation Police.

Yours is a good question. They never did have the authority some people thought they had. Part of it was that they WERE NOT Police officers so much of what they did was as a Citizen.

Now that they are full fledged cops, I wonder if they can check for steel shot unless they have probable suspicion that you weren't using it.

It might be like DUI check points. They may have to have a plan to check every third hunter or something like that. Bet they don't...

Good question. I'm looking forward to the answer.

Best thing to do is see them before they see you

_MG_4233-640x480.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
There isn't such a thing in Va anymore. they are Conversation Police.
The Conversation Police? Sounds like something out of a Monty Python sketch.:shock:

Conservation Police. Same as http://www.dgif.virginia.gov?

Did you know that the Marine Resource Commission cops are the largest law enforcement agency in the state?

VaGunTrader

imported post

peter nap wrote:
these guys where trying to pass as fishermen, even had the rod/reels in boat and had their badges covered up until they popped up on us. One stood up and alerted us that they were game wardens and pulled his badge out from under his jacket.

nova

imported post

As stated, they are sworn state Law Enforcement Officers.

eta I've OC'd in the presence of one at Burke Lake Park.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

trx680 wrote:
peter nap wrote: these guys where trying to pass as fishermen, even had the rod/reels in boat and had their badges covered up until they popped up on us. One stood up and alerted us that they were game wardens and pulled his badge out from under his jacket.
You shoud have notified him there wasn't any such thing as a Game Warden anymore....then sunk his boat (damn pirates are getting sneakier all the time)

hometheaterman

imported post

I've heard numerous times that they can search your vehicle without your permission and without a search warrant if they decide to. Is this true? Or can they still not do this?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
I've heard numerous times that they can search your vehicle without your permission and without a search warrant if they decide to. Is this true? Or can they still not do this?
No. It is not true and never has been. Old wives tale.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

trx680 wrote:

The New Conservation Police officers/ Game Wardens have all authority of a LEO. They have the authority to enforce the game laws of the Commonwealth including any federal law that Virginia is a part of or required to follow. Ducks are protected under the Migratory Bird treaties

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/

Federal Law Prohibits hunting ducks or migratory birds with a shotgun that can hold more than two rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber for a total of three rounds. Virginia game laws mirror federal law as federal law preempts state law.

Although Virginia's Constitution protects the rights of Virginian's to hunt and fish, it is predicated upon laws passed by the General Assembly.

"The people have a right to hunt, fish, and harvest game, subject to such regulations and restrictions as the General Assembly may prescribe by general law." Va. Const. Art. 11, S 4.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
trx680 wrote:

The New Conservation Police officers/ Game Wardens have all authority of a LEO. They have the authority to enforce the game laws of the Commonwealth including any federal law that Virginia is a part of or required to follow. Ducks are protected under the Migratory Bird treaties

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/

Federal Law Prohibits hunting ducks or migratory birds with a shotgun that can hold more than two rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber for a total of three rounds. Virginia game laws mirror federal law as federal law preempts state law.

Although Virginia's Constitution protects the rights of Virginian's to hunt and fish, it is predicated upon laws passed by the General Assembly.

"The people have a right to hunt, fish, and harvest game, subject to such regulations and restrictions as the General Assembly may prescribe by general law." Va. Const. Art. 11, S 4.
That's not the issue VP. The question is do they have the authority to inspect your gun for illegal shells if there is no reason to think you are using them.

They do have the right to ask for your hunting license if you are indeed hunting. But not just because you have a gun.

No one's questioning their authority to enforce the hunting laws. I do question their authority to search at will.

They have the right to inspect Game or fish 29.1-209
They have the right to see your license if hunting or fishing29.1-337

Inspecting guns isnt an inherent power. There needs to be a reason to believe the person is breaking the law.

For instance. It is illegal to hunt on Sunday. Having a gun in the field is not hunting.
29.1-521. Unlawful to hunt, trap, possess, sell or transport wild birds and wild animals except as permitted; exception; penalty. A. The following shall be unlawful:
1. To hunt or kill any wild bird or wild animal, including any nuisance species, with a gun, firearm or other weapon on Sunday, which is hereby declared a rest day for all species of wild bird and wild animal life, except raccoons, which may be hunted until 2:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. However, a person lawfully carrying a gun, firearm or other weapon on Sunday in an area that could be used for hunting shall not be presumed to be hunting on Sunday, absent evidence to the contrary.
Put it in city terms. A Police Officer is on a DUI check point. He asks for your license and registration. All are current and there's no evidence you've been drinking. Then he says, I'll just check your serial number on your gun just to make sure it;s legal.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

OK....Here is their :lol: SPECIAL:lol: search and seizure power

29.1-208. Searches and seizures.
All conservation police officers are vested with the authority to search any person arrested as provided in § 29.1-205 together with any box, can, package, barrel or other container, hunting bag, coat, suit, trunk, grip, satchel or fish basket carried by, in the possession of, or belonging to such person. Conservation police officers shall also have the authority, immediately subsequent to such arrest, to enter and search any refrigerator, building, vehicle, or other place in which the officer making the search has reasonable ground to believe that the person arrested has concealed or placed any wild bird, wild animal or fish, which will furnish evidence of a violation of the hunting, trapping and inland fish laws. Such a search may be made without a warrant, except that a dwelling may not be searched without a warrant. Should any container as described in this section reveal any wild bird, wild animal or fish, or any part thereof, which has been illegally taken, possessed, sold, purchased or transported, the conservation police officer shall seize and hold as evidence the container, together with such wild bird, wild animal or fish, and any unlawful gun, net, or other device of any kind for taking wild birds, wild animals or fish which he may find.
(Code 1950, § 29-33; 1987, c. 488; 2007, c. 87.)

TFred

imported post

peter nap wrote:
OK....Here is their :lol: SPECIAL:lol: search and seizure power

29.1-208. Searches and seizures.
All conservation police officers are vested with the authority to search any person arrested as provided in § 29.1-205 together with any box, can, package, barrel or other container, hunting bag, coat, suit, trunk, grip, satchel or fish basket carried by, in the possession of, or belonging to such person. Conservation police officers shall also have the authority, immediately subsequent to such arrest, to enter and search any refrigerator, building, vehicle, or other place in which the officer making the search has reasonable ground to believe that the person arrested has concealed or placed any wild bird, wild animal or fish, which will furnish evidence of a violation of the hunting, trapping and inland fish laws. Such a search may be made without a warrant, except that a dwelling may not be searched without a warrant. Should any container as described in this section reveal any wild bird, wild animal or fish, or any part thereof, which has been illegally taken, possessed, sold, purchased or transported, the conservation police officer shall seize and hold as evidence the container, together with such wild bird, wild animal or fish, and any unlawful gun, net, or other device of any kind for taking wild birds, wild animals or fish which he may find.
(Code 1950, § 29-33; 1987, c. 488; 2007, c. 87.)
See additional bolding. In the absence of additional code cites, it sounds like the proper response to "I need to check your shotgun" would be "Are you placing me under arrest?"

?

TFred

Glock27Bill

imported post

29.1-208. Searches and seizures. All conservation police officers are vested with the authority to search any person arrested as provided in § 29.1-205

29.1-205. Power to make arrests.
All conservation police officers are vested with the authority, upon displaying a badge or other credential of office, to issue a summons or to arrest any person found in the act of violating any of the provisions of the hunting, trapping, inland fish and boating laws.
Regular conservation police officers are vested with the same authority as sheriffs and other law-enforcement officers to enforce all of the criminal laws of the Commonwealth.
Any special conservation police officer shall have general police power while performing his duty on properties owned or controlled by the Board.
Any commissioned, warrant or petty officers of the United States Coast Guard and of the United States Coast Guard Reserve while engaged on active duty, in the conduct of their official duties in uniform, and any officers of the customs as defined by 19 U.S.C. § 1709(b), in the conduct of their official duties in uniform, shall have the same power to make arrests under Chapter 7 (§ 29.1-700 et seq.) of Title 29.1 as conservation police officers.
(Code 1950, § 29-32; 1960, c. 540; 1979, c. 264; 1982, c. 64; 1987, c. 488; 1988, c. 605; 2007, c. 87.)

Still seems to support the fact that they cannot search you unless you are under arrest, and can't search you first to see if you are "in the act" and are, therefore, then subject to arrest.

Would make of an "interesting" conversation" in the field, eh?

Virginiaplanter

imported post

§ 29.1-337. Displaying license upon request.
A. Every person who is issued a hunting, trapping or fishing license and is carrying such a license when hunting, trapping or fishing shall present it immediately upon demand of any officer whose duty it is to enforce the game and inland fish laws. Refusing to exhibit the license upon demand of any conservation police officer or other officer shall be a Class 3 misdemeanor.
B. In accordance with § 18.2-133, the hunting, trapping or fishing license shall also be shown upon the demand of any owner or lessee, or of any employee or representative of such owner or lessee, upon whose lands or waters the person may be hunting, fishing or trapping.
C. The Director may supply buttons or license holders and require the license or button to be displayed in a manner he may determine.
(Code 1950, § 29-76; 1987, c. 488; 1989, c. 421; 2007, c. 87.)

------

They have the authority to request to see your hunting license at anytime you are hunting. They don't need probable cause. It is a condition of the issuance of the license. I believe that once they stop you to check for a license when they see you engaged in hunting, they can check to see if your shotgun is plugged.