• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NEVER Walk Down the Street At Night With A Gun In Your Hand

TechnoWeenie

imported post

It's ALL in the wording....

Detectives returned to the scene after sunrise to confiscate surveillance footage from several nearby businesses, including a White Castle.

The wording alone makes me suspect.

slowfiveoh

imported post

A lot of the prior BS about the orange tip, has been proven to be nonsensical from a law enforcement standpoint.

As a LEO, or even a LAC, it is hard to fault someone for firing on another individual when what may even appear to be a toy, is pointed straight at them. HankT's postulation in this case is nothing but much accepted ammunition for my own personal case regarding kwikrnu's actions.

#1. "Police don't care if it has a orange tip or not, and neither should you!"

Mass manufacturing toys that bear exact resemblance to actual firearms is just stupid. Thinking in any way that is acceptable to point anything resembling a firearm, at another human being, is just STUPID.

I even perused several other LEO forums to see what they were saying about toy firearms, and would you like to know what the consensus was? They didn't give a shit whether it had a orange tip, a blue hand grip, or a smurf for a front sight post.

So what emphasis does/should an orange tip have in any situation regarding a firearm or what looks like a firearm?

Oh that's right. Nothing at all...

HankT's postulation has drastically failed him in this thread, and the fantasy land his self proclaimed postulation of self defense lives in, has drastically failed him too.

What's the saying....?

Oh yeah..

Yata Hey

Gunslinger

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
slongwatch wrote:
HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:
I really wouldn't want to have anything but air in my hands should the police roll up. Interesting about the difference in reaction.
I'm with you. There is a moment of truth there. Tricky.

How about if you're walking down the street, gun in hand (it's legal wherever you are), and a couple of non-LEOs (apparently) rolled up and said "Hey, you! What the ?!#@ you doing? Who ARE YOU!?".....while reaching their right hands to their belt on the right side of their hips?

What do you show then?
If I'm carrying a cap and ball Colt, because thats all I could be legally carrying in your hypothetical, I'm running, in the words of Waylon Jennings, its quick to get you into trouble but slow to get you out.
That line was about the Peacemaker, "It'll get you into trouble, but it can't get you out." Not sure I agree with Waylon on that one. The cap and ball Colt went "it'll shoot as fast as lightning, but it loads a mite slow..." I love that song! Remember they played it in the movie "Betrayed" several times.
http://www.lyricsdomain.com/19/steve_earle/the_devils_right_hand.html
My very first pistol was a cap and ball Colt
Shoot as fast as lightnin' but it loads a mite slow
Loads a mite slow and soon I found out
It can get you into trouble but it can't get you out
So then I went and bought myself a Colt 45
Called a peacemaker but I never knew why
Never knew why, I didn't understand
Cause Mama said the pistol is the devil's right hand
You're right. I guess the Peacemaker can get you out of trouble.;)