• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NEVER Walk Down the Street At Night With A Gun In Your Hand

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

A toy is not a gun. And a gunis not a toy. There's a lesson here,perhaps,for amishrebel about the former, for kwikrnu on the latter

amd_gun_evidence.jpg

Man wielding realistic-looking BB gun shot twice by cops in Bushwick showdown
BY Joe Jackson and Jonathan Lemire
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Saturday, February 6th 2010, 2:07 PM

A 61-year-old man wielding a realistic-looking BB gun was shot twice by cops early Saturday after a tense confrontation on a busy Brooklyn street, police and witnesses said.

The gunman was hit in the left side of his torso and thigh and was listed in stable condition at Elmhurst General Hospital, police said.

The showdown, which sent several pedestrians scurrying for cover, erupted shortly after a witness called 911 at 1:50 a.m. to report that a man was walking down Linden St. in Bushwick carrying a gun, police said.

A marked police van roared to the scene and three uniformed cops hopped out at the corner of Wyckoff Ave., witnesses said.

"They pulled out their guns straight away," said witness Bryan Cisneros, 18. "I heard them shouting."

Witnesses told investigators that the three cops took cover behind cars parked along Linden St. and shouted for the man to drop his gun, police said.

The man refused, instead whirling at the cops and pointing his weapon - which had a brown handle and a black barrel - at the officers, police said. "Then I heard the shots," said Cisneros.

"I just ran. I'd never heard gunshots like that before."

The gunman, whose name was not released, collapsed in the street and dropped his BB-gun.

The cops were not hurt.

"I was sleeping [but] I woke up when I heard like two or three shots," said neighbor Miguel Matias, 25.

"I see the whole block full of cops and somebody in an ambulance." Investigators believe that one officer fired twice, with both bullets hitting the suspect.

Police sources said it appeared the cops, who are all assigned to the 83rd Precinct, behaved appropriately because the suspect was holding what appeared to be a real weapon.

Detectives returned to the scene after sunrise to confiscate surveillance footage from several nearby businesses, including a White Castle.

Charges against the suspect are pending, police said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/02/06/2010-02-06_man_wielding_realisticlooking_bb_gun_shot_twice_by_cops_in_bushwick_showdown.html

t33j

imported post

Seems the cops acted appropriately... but I never really trust a newspaper article.

NY2AZ

imported post

t33j wrote:
Seems the cops acted appropriately... but I never really trust a newspaper article.

I definitely agree with you t33j; especially when it comes to the NYPD. These are the same guys who shot amadou dialllo 40+ times simply because they "thought" he had a gun. damn hoplophobes

MyWifeSaidYes

imported post

I can't say anything negative about three cops responding and shooting this guy only twice. I do believe I would have shot him more than that if he had pointed that gun at me.

Stupid should hurt!.

Flyer22

imported post

NY2AZ wrote:
t33j wrote:

I definitely agree with you t33j; especially when it comes to the NYPD. These are the same guys who shot amadou dialllo 40+ times simply because they "thought" he had a gun. damn hoplophobes

Read this, and then see if you want to rethink that statement.

http://www.forcescience.org/fsinews/2009/03/force-science-news-117-new-study-when-civilians-would-shoot%e2%80%a6and-when-they-think-you-should/

NY2AZ

imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
NY2AZ wrote:
t33j wrote:

Read this, and then see if you want to rethink that statement.

http://www.forcescience.org/fsinews/2009/03/force-science-news-117-new-study-when-civilians-would-shoot%e2%80%a6and-when-they-think-you-should/

You have a point there. I'm not going to argue with that article. The thing is, I'll be the first to admit that I have a bias against New York and it's police department. Not the officers themselves. I actually have family and friends with the NYPD. I just hate their policies, and some of the ways they operate. So yeah...I'm just biased!

sorry to interject my bias into the forum. I'll try to avoid such in the future.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

"Witnesses told investigators that the three cops took cover behind cars parked along Linden St. and shouted for the man to drop his gun, police said.

The man refused, instead whirling at the cops and pointing his weapon - which had a brown handle and a black barrel - at the officers, police said. "Then I heard the shots," said Cisneros."

taken from the story above

So, the man carried what appeared to be a gun in his hand (which is illegal in NYC). Then, when ordered to drop the gun he pointed it at police.

That sounds almost exactly like what I did in Belle Meade except in Belle Meade it is legal to open carry in the hand (it is the only legal way), I didn't point my real pistol at cops and I walked away.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I really wouldn't want to have anything but air in my hands should the police roll up. Interesting about the difference in reaction.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
I really wouldn't want to have anything but air in my hands should the police roll up. Interesting about the difference in reaction.
I'm with you. There is a moment of truth there. Tricky.

How about if you're walking down the street, gun in hand (it's legal wherever you are), and a couple of non-LEOs (apparently) rolled up and said "Hey, you! What the ?!#@ you doing? Who ARE YOU!?".....while reaching their right hands to their belt on the right side of their hips?

What do you show then?

longwatch

imported post

HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:

How about if you're walking down the street, gun in hand (it's legal wherever you are), and a couple of non-LEOs (apparently) rolled up and said "Hey, you! What the ?!#@ you doing? Who ARE YOU!?".....while reaching their right hands to their belt on the right side of their hips?

What do you show then?
If I'm carrying a cap and ball Colt, because thats all I could be legally carrying in your hypothetical, I'm running, in the words of Waylon Jennings, its quick to get you into trouble but slow to get you out.

Gunslinger

imported post

slongwatch wrote:
HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:

What do you show then?
If I'm carrying a cap and ball Colt, because thats all I could be legally carrying in your hypothetical, I'm running, in the words of Waylon Jennings, its quick to get you into trouble but slow to get you out.
That line was about the Peacemaker, "It'll get you into trouble, but it can't get you out." Not sure I agree with Waylon on that one. The cap and ball Colt went "it'll shoot as fast as lightning, but it loads a mite slow..." I love that song! Remember they played it in the movie "Betrayed" several times.

PT111

imported post

Actually there are a few people that have posted in their opinions that they had enough training an practice that even if they didn't have the gun in had they were still fast enough to take out a couple of people holding guns on them before theywould get shot. I am not on of them and am not putting much faith in movies that show how to do it. Two people holding a gun on me and tell me to put it down I am going to do it very carefully. If I reach for my wallet they are going to know what I am reaching for. I am not Superman who stands there taking bullets but ducks when they throw the gun.

TFred

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Actually there are a few people that have posted in their opinions that they had enough training an practice that even if they didn't have the gun in had they were still fast enough to take out a couple of people holding guns on them before theywould get shot. I am not on of them and am not putting much faith in movies that show how to do it. Two people holding a gun on me and tell me to put it down I am going to do it very carefully. If I reach for my wallet they are going to know what I am reaching for. I am not Superman who stands there taking bullets but ducks when they throw the gun.
It almost sounds like we have the beginnings of a new legend:

"I'm no DiDonato!"

Who said that?

TFred

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

If someone has a gun on me (i.e.,I failed to employ "situational awareness"), I will be the first to admit I'm in big trouble if my gun is still in my holster/pocket!

Were I Steven Seagal, however, then it'd be another story. :shock:

I wouldn't get within arm's reachof that guy whether I was pointing a gun at him or not (and no, he's not just an actor). He MIGHT be slowing down as he gets older, but were I a criminal, *I* sure wouldn't want to try to mug/rob THAT guy.

-- John D.

longwatch

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
slongwatch wrote:
HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:

What do you show then?
That line was about the Peacemaker, "It'll get you into trouble, but it can't get you out." Not sure I agree with Waylon on that one. The cap and ball Colt went "it'll shoot as fast as lightning, but it loads a mite slow..." I love that song! Remember they played it in the movie "Betrayed" several times.
http://www.lyricsdomain.com/19/steve_earle/the_devils_right_hand.html
My very first pistol was a cap and ball Colt
Shoot as fast as lightnin' but it loads a mite slow
Loads a mite slow and soon I found out
It can get you into trouble but it can't get you out
So then I went and bought myself a Colt 45
Called a peacemaker but I never knew why
Never knew why, I didn't understand
Cause Mama said the pistol is the devil's right hand