• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WTB Pistol

Doby

imported post

Im looking to buy a decent pistol for OC purposes. Looking mainly for a decent conditon 9mm but will really consider anything. I would prefer a face to face deal in the milwaukee area if possible. Let me know what you have, thanks.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Well first off any face to face deal should be made at a place of the sellers discretion and not the buyers.

No one wants to be set up for some straw purchase charges now do they?

Not saying this is the case, but everyone should be thinking ahead where Flynn and Chisholm are concerned.

How could we know that they wouldn't be setting us up. Think! Think! Think!

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Doby wrote:
Im looking to buy a decent pistol for OC purposes. Looking mainly for a decent conditon 9mm but will really consider anything. I would prefer a face to face deal in the milwaukee area if possible. Let me know what you have, thanks.
It sounds like you're not too sure what you want. Perhaps you should go to one of the local guns shops or even Gander Mountain and speak to one of their sales clerks. That way you can handle a couple and see what fits your hand. Just make sure that when you're ready to buy that you bring some form of state issued identification. There will be a mandatory 48 hr. waiting period before you can pick up your purchase and bring a case if you're buying used. Sometimes they don't come with any boxes or cases.

If you have any other questions on how to legally purchase a firearm in the state if Wisconsin please feel free to ask.

AaronS

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Well first off any face to face deal should be made at a place of the sellers discretion and not the buyers.

Not saying this is the case, but everyone should be thinking ahead where Flynn and Chisholm are concerned.

Agree 100%. This all sounds to strange to me. When looking for my first gun, a store is with out any doubt the first place I would have started.

Is this a set-up? I don't know, but I would get to know this person real good before selling a gun to them...

If this is a real post, please go to a gun shop, check out the full selection, and pick one that fits your hands well. Pick one that is just right for your needs. If I were to sell you my Beretta 9000, I bet you would be unhappy, as it does not fit most peoples hands well (fits me just fine). If this is your first gun, I would also recommend that you take a class or two to "get to know it" better.

Landose_theghost

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:

Lettem try to "set us up"(I don't thinkthink that's the case), Just trade eachothers Info & write up a bill of sale(2 copies, 1 for each party, with the SN# written down on both copies)that the buyer and seller both sign(if you can get a witness to sign, even better),while this is notthe "law" to do things this way,I've sold/bought a few guns this way. And, if anything happends in the future, you've both got your hind quarters covered. On a related note, please NOBODY start talking that "That's Infringment" crap, It's common sense to do this when you sell/Buy anything to/from a private seller,let alone a firearm.

-Landose-

Doby

imported post

Whoa guys, lets check the paranoia at the door. This is by no means my first gun, nor the first time I have participated in a FTF transaction. Im not trying to set anyone here up or lure you into a back alley,im just looking forsomeone who wants to part with a pistolthat can take a little bit of wear and tear better thanthe few WW2 pieces that I have now. If you dont feel like helping thats quite alright with me, just dont clutter up my post with this paranoid junk.

Landose_theghost

imported post

Doby wrote:
Whoa guys, lets check the paranoia at the door. This is by no means my first gun, nor the first time I have participated in a FTF transaction. Im not trying to set anyone here up or lure you into a back alley,im just looking forsomeone who wants to part with a pistolthat can take a little bit of wear and tear better thanthe few WW2 pieces that I have now. If you dont feel like helping thats quite alright with me, just dont clutter up my post with this paranoid junk.
Amen to that!

protias

imported post

Doby wrote:
You can understand some people's trepidation from someone who signed up a few days ago and looking to purchase a handgun on one of his first posts.

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Has caution now become paranoia? Things have changed alot since I sold a firearm 30 years ago, simple bill of sale with exchange of id.

Common sense would now dictate to cover both seller and buyer a receipt with copies of i.d, serial # of firearm and yes i'll say it are you ok with putting your finger prints along with mine on the receipt and duplicate so both parties have bill of sale, if not no sale.

You choose location of meeting in a pubic place, out of a gun shop would suffice.

I see this as being responsible on our part and no need for a law to be written as the anti's would like to do.

My view only.

Doby

imported post

Thehesitation is more than understandable but there comes a point when eventhat can be takena little too far. A private sale is just that,however the two parties decide to conduct business is their own prerogative wheather it be a simple swap of info or something more in depth such as springfield suggested. Like I said before im just chumming the waters looking for whatever might be out there. Ideally I would like to track down a nice used sig for a decent price butI might be dreaming there.Anmut, I took a look at that smith and as much as I like them its a bit out of my price range, thanks a lot though.

Doby

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
If you have any other questions on how to legally purchase a firearm in the state if Wisconsin please feel free to ask.
Of course I'm sure that you weren't meaning to infer that face-to-face purchases were illegal in any sense.

I also enjoy buying my firearms off the grid. Theres enough paper trail in this world without that too.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Nothing wrong to a FTF used gun purchase in WI. At face value it looks like someone is trying to save a few bucks by buying from a private seller to save paying for someone's overhead. You can often find better deals from a private seller than from a dealer. Same as buying a car, snowblower, washer/dryer, etc..... The difference is when something breaks, you have no warranty. There are more risks in purchasing a used gun in WI than there are to selling one.

My recommendation to the OP is to check out gunbroker.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Spartacus wrote:
GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
Of course I'm sure that you weren't meaning to infer that face-to-face purchases were illegal in any sense.

I also enjoy buying my firearms off the grid. Theres enough paper trail in this world without that too.
I was not. That said several alarms went off after reading the OP.

At the time of the OP, the poster had 2 previous posts in regards to a firearm for sale by private owner. His third post was that he wanted to purchase a "decent condition 9mm" via private sale in the milwaukee area. In my own personal opinion(that's all it is) is that when someone specifically asks for a private sale, not knowing what they want, it looks rather shady.

Does that mean that it is? No, it does not. But "paranoia" aside, it does look suspicious.

I like the ability to do private sales and have no real issue with them.

That said, let's move on. I like to think myself quite familiar with most currently produced firearms and their general retail price. What is your price range Doby?

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Doby wrote:
Ideally I would like to track down a nice used sig for a decent price butI might be dreaming there.Anmut, I took a look at that smith and as much as I like them its a bit out of my price range, thanks a lot though.

Doby

That is a decent price on that M&P especially considering the 4 oem mags it comes with. Unfortunately if that is out of your price range then any Sig you find for less than that M&P is going to be hot or a pos. Let me know what your price range is and I'll see what I can recommend. PM or post, whatever you prefer.

Doby

imported post

I would love to find something in the neighborhood of$350 but that seems to be a bit optimistic currently.As soon as the money comesin from my last drill weekend I will have about $500 to devote to an entire setup.This gun will most likely spend a lot of time in the truck and would serve the role ofOC piece as well. With that in mind a mildlevel of externalfinish wear would not bother me in the least, in fact it would be quite welcome.Ifound a few pistols that fit the bill at the show this weekend but in my infinite wisdom forgot my checkbook at home, go figure.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Doby wrote:
I would love to find something in the neighborhood of$350 but that seems to be a bit optimistic currently.As soon as the money comesin from my last drill weekend I will have about $500 to devote to an entire setup.This gun will most likely spend a lot of time in the truck and would serve the role ofOC piece as well. With that in mind a mildlevel of externalfinish wear would not bother me in the least, in fact it would be quite welcome.Ifound a few pistols that fit the bill at the show this weekend but in my infinite wisdom forgot my checkbook at home, go figure.
Ruger P series fits your bill...... Goes bang every time, more than adequately accurate and easy to find mags.... I have seen several P95s for less than $300 lately.

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
+1 , Gunbroker.com is a great place to buy & sell guns.
He's looking for one off the radar.

Doby, I often cruise the local shopper papers and have found some real deals there. Also I've picked up more than one weapon from local auctions with no paperwork.