• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Casper Starbucks no guns allowed

AB

Sig229

imported post

sharpshooter79 wrote:
I will surely give them a call. I have never liked Starbuck's politics anyway...

Amen!

They have caused the closings of far too many mom & pop privately owned coffee shops in many many towns across America.

I have seen it with my own eyes.

For instance in Newark Delaware there was an older couple who ran a coffee shop for 25 years on Main st.

A Starbucks moved in directly across the street and the private coffee shop was bankrupt in 2 1/2 months.

Mjolnir

imported post

Who is the author of that article, what are his references and why should we take his word on what happened when the entire web article quoted is rather biased....

Brady Campaign declares war on Starbucks
Seattle Gun Rights Examiner ^ | February 4, 2010 | Dave Workman

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence has declared war on a Northwest institution, and in the process perhaps the public will discover the extremes gun prohibitionists will go in an effort to push their radical agenda.

The Brady Bunch has Starbucks squarely in its crosshairs, hoping to browbeat the coffee giant into refusing service to an evidently growing clientele of law-abiding firearms owners. In an e-mail message sent out this week, Brady Campaign President Paul Helmke laments that,
“Starbucks is refusing to prohibit open carrying in its stores, despite protests from loyal customers.”

Over the past few months, more and more gun owners have been gathering at restaurants and coffee shops like Starbucks with guns strapped to their hips––Paul Helmke

This was after Helmke acknowledged that his campaign of social bigotry against legally-armed citizens was launched because, “Over the past few months, more and more gun owners have been gathering at restaurants and coffee shops like Starbucks with guns strapped to their hips, intimidating fellow patrons.”

So, let me see if I have this straight. Because Starbucks is attracting increasing numbers of gun owners – presumably becoming the kind of loyal customers about whom Helmke writes – he wants the coffee chain to ban these people, in deference to his own ilk of hoplophobes.

In reaction, even more gun owners are declaring a sudden thirst for Starbucks blend and heading to their local coffee stand.

Is this not the same kind of nonsense I wrote about here last Friday, in reporting the angst demonstrated by Washington CeaseFire’s Ralph Fascitelli over the perfectly legal appearance at a public hearing in Olympia by several open carry activists?

The Brady camp has teamed up with CREDO Action, a self-proclaimed progressive activist organization that uses mobile phones to affect social change.

Helmke’s e-mail diatribe further complains that, “The practice of packing heat in places like Starbucks is intimidating and could be potentially dangerous to our families and communities –– and it must be stopped.

“It’s everyone's right to sit in a restaurant or coffee shop with their families without intimidation or fear of guns,” he says, “either concealed or openly carried.”

Intimidating to whom? This may come as a culture shock to Helmke, but it is equally everyone’s right – if they choose to exercise it – to sit in a restaurant with family or friends and not be concerned (because they are prepared) about criminal attack, or an incident on the scale of the Luby’s Massacre in October 1991, in which 23 restaurant patrons, disarmed at the time by Texas statute, were murdered. It might just be that Americans took a lesson from another incident two months later at a Shoney’s restaurant in Anniston, Alabama, in which a legally-armed citizen prevented a massacre by shooting two robbers who were herding people into a food locker.

I wrote about this incident with Alan Gottlieb in America Fights Back: Armed Self-Defense in a Violent Age.

Thomas Terry, the hero of Anniston, was discreetly but legally carrying a .45 caliber handgun when the robbers took over the restaurant. Facing two armed thugs, Terry shot one dead and severely wounded the other. None of the other patrons was harmed, other than Terry, who sustained a grazing wound to the hip.—Timothy Wheeler, MD

Helmke also argues that “Under the law, Starbucks has the right to adopt a gun-free policy, with an exception for uniformed police officers.”

Guess what, Paul. Starbucks also has the right as a business to allow patronage by anyone it damn well pleases, including legally-armed citizens. Their money is just as good as yours, and so far, there has not been a single reported incident involving any of these gun owners, including the robbery of a Starbucks while an armed citizen happens to be standing at the counter.

Social bigotry against gun owners is just as insidious as bigotry against any other group. What would the public reaction be if someone demanded that a private business refuse service to, say African-Americans, Hispanics, Asians, Jews, Arabs, Native Americans, Samoans, disabled people, overweight people, gays or women? Got a tattoo? Stay out!

Helmke rants about intimidation, yet he has no reservations about trying to intimidate a business over some of the people it serves. His kind of demagoguery has one significant trait: Hypocrisy.

If Helmke and other gun prohibitionists don’t want to be around other citizens because they are legally armed, that is a problem, but it is their problem. Perhaps they should start drinking tea.

Mjolnir

imported post

AB wrote:
Go to Casper Starbucks and find out, oh wait you probably don't live in Wyoming!

Nice reply, glad to see you are doing something constructive instead of just running around pissing people off.....

What ever happened with your running around pine bluff like a loose cannon......

imported post

Good and bad news about Starbucks gun story by Gun Rights Examiner
greydot.gif
David Codrea

http://www.examiner.com/x-1417-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m2d7-Good-and-bad-news-about-Starbucks-gun-story

sharpshooter79

imported post

Howdy,
Called Casper Starbucks and told them that I had read the internet article about them not allowing open or concealed carry of firearms in their store. I told them that since that it was there policy I wouldn't be giving them business anymore. The manager lady told me "she was sorry but it was there corporate policy." I told I realized it wasn't her fault but I couldn't give them business since it was their policy and to pass on it to her manager. She told me would.

MatieA

imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
AB wrote:
Go to Casper Starbucks and find out, oh wait you probably don't live in Wyoming!

Nice reply, glad to see you are doing something constructive instead of just running around pissing people off.....

What ever happened with your running around pine bluff like a loose cannon......

He made a new account so he could post incognito :)

On a side note there are now two of us open carrying in Pine Bluffs. A new family moved here from South Dakota and he open carries.

:monkey

Sig229

imported post

MatieA wrote:
Mjolnir wrote

On a side note there are now two of us open carrying in Pine Bluffs. A new family moved here from South Dakota and he open carries.

Just three or four more people, and you will have the whole town OC'ing.

(just kidding) :lol:

Paladin

imported post

I am the one that was asked to leave the Casper Starbucks.

I would like to thank AB for pursuing this issue with Starbucks and would encourage all here to do the same.

While I would have liked to have heard directly from Starbucks, I never made the call to corporate in the first place so can not expect them to do so.

I will be going back to the Casper Starbucks even though I don't really care for their coffee, to see how things have changed with the personnel working there and I will have my 1911 on my side as I do whenever and wherever I can.

Keep up the good work AB, and don't let the nay sayers that do nothing more than wish they too could make a difference but are too scared or compromising get under your skin.

Many are those who will shriek loudest about what is wrong with the charge while standing behind those who are leading the way.

David

SDguy

imported post

I live in South Dakota, the Black Hills in particular. I have business in Casper in a month and will be there for a full week. What is the particular address of the StarBucks we are concerned with?

I will make it a point to openly carry and order a coffee and sit down and read a book while there and see how I am treated.

Paladin

imported post

It's on CY Ave., out near Southerlands and Walmart. There is another thread in the Wyoming section that has the address.

Burton68

imported post

I live in one of the most Libreal State & Town In the USA. I can walk into Starbuck with no problemIn recent months, gun advocates have held "open carry" meet-ups at Starbucks stores in the San Francisco Bay Area. Starbucks says it will allow the guns as long as they're legal. That decision is angering gun control advocates.th a gun at my side.