• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HF2255, and HF596/SF473

IA_farmboy

imported post

Max G wrote:
IA_farmboy wrote:
... why is gaining "shall issue" in the first step and then AK or VT style law in step two such a bad thing?

It wouldn't be a bad thing if that is in fact what you were doing. You are taking one step forward with shall issue but, taking two steps back with the training requirement and raising the age for permits.

1.  You can't buy a handgun if you are under age 21 now per Federal Law.  So how is it a step backward to not provide for a carry permit if you are under age 21?  Furthermore, the IGO Bill also did not provide for the right to carry if under age 21.

I addressed this in my post above. We are discussing the permit to carry weapons and not a concealed handgun permit. The IGO bill addresses this by removing the penalties for a person carrying a dangerous weapon when not in the commission of a crime.

2.  A minimal training requirement is in the NRA Bill.  So you object to training?

No, I object to government mandated training. I encourage everyone to get training in self defense. What I do not like is some government agent telling an adult how and what kind of training they need to be safe.

The problem with today's law is that training requirements vary across all 99 counties.  The NRA Bill standardizes the training requirement, and in some areas, like Polk County, makes the training easier than what the Sheriff requires today.

Standardizing the training state wide just means that all Iowans will have their rights violated equally.

3.  The approx 28,000 permit holders today would have no training requirement for a Shall Issue permit.

So, no training is fine if you can get your permit before this bill becomes law?

4.   I'm not aware of any of the 38 States with a Shall Issue law which do not have some training requirement.  So to expect this Bill to pass in the Iowa legislature without the minimal training requirement that is in the Bill, is not realistic.

Not realistic? Says who?

I know of at least two states that do not have a training requirement, Indiana and Pennsylvania. I know this because I have run across people online that have told me so, and that can be verified by going to usacarry.com or the respective state license authority. When I have the time I might just tally up which states do not have a training requirement. You just might be surprised.

5.  For those concerned about reciprocity, and increasing the number of States which honor the Iowa permit, there must be some training required.

What if I am not concerned about reciprocity? The IGO bill covers this by allowing people in Iowa to arm themselves without the need for a permit while making a permit available solely for the purpose of reciprocity.

Why does Iowa have to provide a permit for reciprocity? Should not Iowa be concerned about what happens in Iowa? If people want to carry in another state then perhaps those people should get a permit from another state.

I think it was in South Dakota that they proposed two different permits, a Class A and a Class B permit to carry. The Class A requires training while the Class B does not. Either are valid in the state but only some states would recognize the Class B.

Oh, there is a third state that does not require training for a permit to carry, South Dakota. Their proposed solution to the poor state of reciprocity is not raising the barrier to entry for all but only for those that wish to jump through that hoop. I propose we can, if reciprocity is such a concern, do the same.

mrjam2jab

imported post

Max G wrote:

4. I'm not aware of any of the 38 States with a Shall Issue law which do not have some training requirement. So to expect this Bill to pass in the Iowa legislature without the minimal training requirement that is in the Bill, is not realistic.

5. For those concerned about reciprocity, and increasing the number ofStates whichhonor the Iowa permit, there must be some training required.

As already mentioned PA does not have any training requirement and we have reciprocity with 23 other states. IA could increase the number of states that honor the IA permit by simply honoring permits from other states.

Straight_Shooter

imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
Max G wrote:

4. I'm not aware of any of the 38 States with a Shall Issue law which do not have some training requirement. So to expect this Bill to pass in the Iowa legislature without the minimal training requirement that is in the Bill, is not realistic.

5. For those concerned about reciprocity, and increasing the number ofStates whichhonor the Iowa permit, there must be some training required.

As already mentioned PA does not have any training requirement and we have reciprocity with 23 other states. IA could increase the number of states that honor the IA permit by simply honoring permits from other states.

Amen . .

SS

ethies

imported post

Its true there are several states without a training requirement (I think there's more than PA and IN). This hitch is this bill must pass the Iowa legislature not the Indiana or Pennsylvania legislature. Do I think it is possible to pass it without the training requirement? Maybe, I don't really know! What I do know is that the bill was written by people (legislators, lobbyists, and activists) that have an much better knowledge of what the legislature will pass.I don't want to sound schizo by arguing for training now, but no training later. I want to get a bill passed that will get citizens armed in this state. That means appeasing some liberals right now with a minimal training requirement. The fact is most counties have a training requirement right now. Your argument that some counties don't have one doesn't mean their rights aren't violated. The sheriff is free to set his own requirements, and if he sets the training bar at none it is still HIM that is setting the requirement. I don't know if Hunter Safety would qualify you. If you read the text of HF2255 it would be somewhat up to interpretation. One could argue that firearm safety is a very large portion of the class, but one could also say the purpose of the class in hunting not firearms. It would be nice if it was more specific.

In a perfect world, I'd say that we should have AK carry plus a shall issue permit with astrict training requirement to maximize the reciprocity!

I agree the 21->18 change is very undesirable on the grounds you mention Farm Boy. One thing I wanted to mention that you were concerned about : the 18 year old armored truck employee. 18 year olds would still be eligible for a professional permit to carry. I agree that at the very least it would be desirable to split out firearms from the rest of weapons in raising the PTC age.

IA_farmboy

imported post

The sheriff is free to set his own requirements, and if he sets the training bar at none it is still HIM that is setting the requirement.

If this is true then the permit system becomes "may issue" since it is up to the discretion of the sheriff on determining if the applicant has proper training.

I don't know if Hunter Safety would qualify you. If you read the text of HF2255 it would be somewhat up to interpretation. One could argue that firearm safety is a very large portion of the class, but one could also say the purpose of the class in hunting not firearms. It would be nice if it was more specific.

That's an understatement. It's not "shall issue" if the training is up to interpretation.

One of my major complaints against this bill is that there is a potential cost to the training. It's only if no cost training is available that I can offer reluctant support to this bill. The only firearm training I can think of that is widely available at no cost that is even close to falling under the terms of this bill is the hunter education course. If there is no option to meet the training requirement at no cost then the price of the permit is not accurately reflected in the law.

One thing I wanted to mention that you were concerned about : the 18 year old armored truck employee. 18 year olds would still be eligible for a professional permit to carry.

The "may issue" status of the professional permit remains unchanged with HF2255.

I realize that your interpretation is only your interpretation and not necessarily how it will be implemented but your explanation did not increase my confidence in the equal application of this bill, but instead did quite the opposite.

IA_farmboy

imported post

mrjam2jab wrote:
Max G wrote:

4.   I'm not aware of any of the 38 States with a Shall Issue law which do not have some training requirement.  So to expect this Bill to pass in the Iowa legislature without the minimal training requirement that is in the Bill, is not realistic.

5.  For those concerned about reciprocity, and increasing the number of States which honor the Iowa permit, there must be some training required.

As already mentioned PA does not have any training requirement and we have reciprocity with 23 other states.  IA could increase the number of states that honor the IA permit by simply honoring  permits from other states.

If the age to open carry is a good guide (couldn't find a concealed carry age map right quick) there are only 9 states that require someone be 21 to carry a concealed weapon. How many of those does NRA and Iowa Carry think would recognize the Iowa permit only if the age for issue was raised? If Iowa's current permit is recognized now in 23 states then how many more do we need to appease those that wish to use the Iowa permit in other states?

Even the "golden standard" of reciprocity permits, Florida and Utah, are recognized in only about 30 states. Raising the bar on training and age seems like quite the compromise to go from 23 states to 30. Is reciprocity worth that much?

Farmgirl

imported post

Are you really naive or ignorant enough to actually believe that this overwhelmingly democrat legislature is going to pass something pro-gun, something that actually moves 2nd amendment rights forward instead of backward? REALLY? You think that anything put into an empty bill by democrats who run the whole process is going to benefit us freedom lovers?

IF we get one step forward, we WILL get a minium of 3 steps back. Incorporating bad federal law is BAD, especially since Lautenberg will likely be changed or overturned at a federal level but Iowans will still be stuck with it for ages after that.Increasing age is BAD; either you are an adult or you aren't, and I want my daughter when she goes to college & lives off campus to carry legally. Training requirements are BAD; I encourage training and think everyone should have it but it creates unnecessary cost & bureaucracy, and those requirements, once established,are at the whim of the political class; they could make them stricter than law enforcement's to pass; no requirement they be reasonable. And "shall issue" will NOT be a real shall issue...it will be so laden with exceptions you could drive a semi thru it once the democrats define it. Will you people still support a bill that looks like that???

The only thing good that can come out of this session is this: if we can force legislators to vote on a clean bill like Sorenson's (NOT 2255!!) we have clearlyseparated the pro-gun legislators from the anti-gun legislators, and can use that as a stick to beat them with in the upcoming elections, and put the appropriate fear into their replacements. It truly separates the men from the boys, or as I prefer to say, the valiant from the vipers. Kinda like this forum is doing, I suppose.

IA_farmboy

imported post

Found a map with the ages for concealed carry.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kY3q2F-xPp0/SsUx9bDuYWI/AAAAAAAABcw/GRmi_TGwqnQ/s1600-h/MinimumAgeCCW.gif

Perhaps this is a better link:
http://dustinsgunblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/map-of-minimum-age-to-conceal-carry.html

I counted 14 different states that currently recognize the Iowa PTC. I suspect that we'd gain many more just by recognizing other state permits and having shall issue. No need to require training or increase the age of carry.

http://www.usacarry.com/iowa_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

So many states already recognize the Iowa PTC already, how many does there have to be to make Iowa Carry happy?

Of the six states that Iowa shares borders with there are three that already recognize the Iowa PTC, one that permits unlicensed open carry, one that doesn't let anyone go armed (except criminals and aldermen, but I repeat myself), and one that has shall issue for non-residents.

Why is Iowa Carry so hung up on reciprocity that they are willing to deny so many the right to self defense in their own state?

If reciprocity is a concern then there are plenty of options like the mail order licenses from Florida, Utah, or Pennsylvania. If a person travels that much that reciprocity is an issue then a trip to Minnesota or North Dakota for a permit should not be too much to ask, apparently these people would be going there any way.

ethies

imported post

IA_farmboy wrote:
The sheriff is free to set his own requirements, and if he sets the training bar at none it is still HIM that is setting the requirement.

If this is true then the permit system becomes "may issue" since it is up to the discretion of the sheriff on determining if the applicant has proper training.

One thing I wanted to mention that you were concerned about : the 18 year old armored truck employee. 18 year olds would still be eligible for a professional permit to carry.

The "may issue" status of the professional permit remains unchanged with HF2255.

I think you misunderstood my first point there. The training requirement is set in the bill, though is murky on the exact question of hunters safety (by the way I paid for my hunter's safety course). You had previously said that we were violating everyone's rights equally by standardizing training. My point was that your rights are already violated by the 99 sheriffs having 99 training requirements. Just because one sheriff doesn't require training doesn't mean your rights weren't violated, he's still the arbiter of how much training you need.

On the other point you are correct, a professional permit would remain 'may issue.' You had previously expressed concern that an 18 year old armored truck employee could lose his job because he couldn't get his permit renewed with the 21 age requirement. I was merely pointing out that this hypothetical individual's situation would be unchanged by this bill.

Let's talk about this Farmboy, since youhave expressed concernabout the 18-21 crowd. Under the current system, how many 18-21 year olds are issued to now? I've worked for IC for a while now, and I've talked with a lot of people. I've not run into a one. I've met lots and lots of people who live in highly restricted counties who can't get a permit, but virtually every one who's even tried is over 21 (despite our requirement being set at 18). So when you make grandiose statements like:

Why is Iowa Carry so hung up on reciprocity that they are willing to deny so many the right to self defense in their own state?

It gets my dander up a little. I don't like the 18->21 change, but if it enhances reciprocity and makes a shall issue bill pass this year and (get this) ARMS IOWANS, I'll accept it. We aren't doing this in a vacuum. We already live under a system that compromises the hell out of your rights. You will very rarely see a permit issued to an 18 year old and (I know its not a firearms only permit) they aren't old enough to buy a handgun anyway. So we're talking about 18-21 year olds that live in a county that will issue a permit to them so that they can carry a knife, pepper spray, or a baton? Where is this? I've not encountered it. What I have encountered is spades is people (admittedly older) that can't get permits in a lot of different counties because of sheriffs discretion

Farmgirl, remember that Lautenberg is incorporated into the bill with all the definitions taken (with references) from US Code on purpose. If federal law changes, so does Iowa's under this bill.

Remember also, that we don't live in some kind of red state utopia.With a democrat legislature, NOTHING comes to the floor for a vote without the approval of the democrat leadership. The 49-49 vote last year was an interesting technique, but everyone knew what was going on. The leadership let everyone who needed a 'pro-gun' vote vote for it while they engineered the outcome. They knew it was going to be a 49-49 before they voted. The leadership of the house and senate have made it pretty clear they have no interest in AK carry, and won't bring it to the floor. They send it to the subcommittee of death and nothing is proven. Remember, also, you are already subject to a training requirement RIGHT NOW! There are 99 different requirements, and they can change with every election, at the whim of just one man! This is a standardization of the training requirement, and is a step forward, just maybe not as big a step as you desire.

mrjam2jab

imported post

IA_farmboy wrote:
So many states already recognize the Iowa PTC already, how many does there have to be to make Iowa Carry happy?

Of the six states that Iowa shares borders with there are three that already recognize the Iowa PTC, one that permits unlicensed open carry, one that doesn't let anyone go armed (except criminals and aldermen, but I repeat myself), and one that has shall issue for non-residents.

If reciprocity is a concern then there are plenty of options like the mail order licenses from Florida, Utah, or Pennsylvania. If a person travels that much that reciprocity is an issue then a trip to Minnesota or North Dakota for a permit should not be too much to ask, apparently these people would be going there any way.

For me personally...i'm looking at it from the outside in...I have my PA license, CT license, and just waiting for UT to arrive. None of which are honored by IA...so when we go to visit family in Leon, IA...usually driving...I can't go armed as IA will not let me carry...increasing reciprocity states increases the chances of IA honoring one that i have. also, I have no problem applying to IA to obtain their license...if I had a remote chance of getting it.

Max G

imported post

Straight_Shooter wrote:
Max G wrote:
Since some here take a strict and absolute view of Constitutional Rights, then why restrict gun ownership to those 18 and over?

I mean, if it's not in the Constitution, then by God, how can you put ANY limits on our Constitutional Rights?

Good point . . . the problem is, we have a society full of lousy parents. In the past, when this nation was a much more moral society, it wasn't necessary to make such laws . . . parents took care of their children, and taught them how to handle and use firearms. It wasn't always perfect, of course, because accidents can happen, etc.

Most won't see this as workable today because many parents simply don't care for their children and their proper, loving and responsible upbringing (and, we have such things as single parent families where there is no man in the household to teach firearms to their sons and daughters - no slam meant to any gun capable ladies out there - my wife is quite capable with a gun and could train children in their proper use and handling)

I am not at all certain that it wouldn't work to drop restrictions on firearm possession and ownership in this country altogether . . . I know it will work in my family's case.

SS

Ahhhhhh...

So the US Constitution does NOT provide absolute rights.

YOUR opinion as to what our rights are or are not, is the only one that matters.

Dang, and theIGO Bill didn't provide for absolute 2nd Amendment protection either!

IA_farmboy

imported post

I think you misunderstood my first point there. The training requirement is set in the bill, though is murky on the exact question of hunters safety (by the way I paid for my hunter's safety course). You had previously said that we were violating everyone's rights equally by standardizing training. My point was that your rights are already violated by the 99 sheriffs having 99 training requirements. Just because one sheriff doesn't require training doesn't mean your rights weren't violated, he's still the arbiter of how much training you need.

Right now the sheriff is the arbiter of how much training one needs to get a permit and if HF2255 becomes law the sheriff continues to be the arbiter of how much training one needs to get a permit.

How is this supposed to be an improvement?

On the other point you are correct, a professional permit would remain 'may issue.' You had previously expressed concern that an 18 year old armored truck employee could lose his job because he couldn't get his permit renewed with the 21 age requirement. I was merely pointing out that this hypothetical individual's situation would be unchanged by this bill.

May issue now, may issue if HF2255 becomes law. It seems a lot of things remain unchanged by this bill.

Let's talk about this Farmboy, since you have expressed concern about the 18-21 crowd. Under the current system, how many 18-21 year olds are issued to now? I've worked for IC for a while now, and I've talked with a lot of people. I've not run into a one. I've met lots and lots of people who live in highly restricted counties who can't get a permit, but virtually every one who's even tried is over 21 (despite our requirement being set at 18). So when you make grandiose statements like:

It gets my dander up a little. I don't like the 18->21 change, but if it enhances reciprocity and makes a shall issue bill pass this year and (get this) ARMS IOWANS, I'll accept it. We aren't doing this in a vacuum. We already live under a system that compromises the hell out of your rights. You will very rarely see a permit issued to an 18 year old and (I know its not a firearms only permit) they aren't old enough to buy a handgun anyway. So we're talking about 18-21 year olds that live in a county that will issue a permit to them so that they can carry a knife, pepper spray, or a baton? Where is this? I've not encountered it. What I have encountered is spades is people (admittedly older) that can't get permits in a lot of different counties because of sheriffs discretion

FORGET RECIPROCITY! (I was going to use another word that starts with "f" but this is a family friendly website.)

We should have a law that helps Iowans in Iowa. If Iowans want to arm themselves in another state then abide by their rules and get whatever permit they require. Why should we compromise the rights and privileges of a majority so that a minority is not inconvenienced?

I find it irrelevant that you have encountered no one under the age of 21 with a permit to carry. People are recognized as adults in the USA at the age of 18 years and they should be treated as such.

I have a couple questions for those willing to compromise the rights of people in Iowa for the supposed great gains in the Permit to Carry recognition. How many more states would HF2255 gain us in recognition if passed? What states would those be?

As long as the training requirements is up to interpretation by the sheriffs we gain nothing with HF2255. We might gain some more states in reciprocity but that is up to interpretation by the other states in the union. Visitors to Iowa would probably gain the ability to travel armed but that is of little consequence to those living here.

You know what would get us shall issue in Iowa, now and if HF2255 becomes law? Electing shall issue sheriffs.

Hopefully whatever comes out of committee improves on HF2255 and HF2241 (that is the new file number for HF596) and gets us something we can all be happy about.

IA_farmboy

imported post

I was just curious about this reciprocity business so I took a look at how a couple of our neighbors handled it. Take a look at the requirements for a permit to carry from South Dakota and Minnesota.

Minnesota: 21 years of age, pass a training course, no fingerprints taken, must provide photograph
South Dakota: 18 years of age, no training, no fingerprints taken, no photograph

Now, guess how many states recognize the permits from the states above.

Minnesota: 20 states recognize this permit.
South Dakota: 24 states recognize this permit.

More states recognize the permit with the lower requirements to obtain. Now South Dakota does recognize permits from every other state so I imagine that reciprocity has something to do with it.

Florida by comparison requires that an applicant be 21 years of age, provide proof of training, fingerprints, a photograph, and a lot of money. The return for all of that is recognition in 30 states. Florida recognizes 32 state permits. The list of permits that Florida recognizes and the list of states that recognize the Florida permit looks eerily similar.

This tells me two things. First, if Iowa wants to see it's permit recognized in other states then it must recognize the permits from other states. Second, the claim that Iowa needs to raise the age and training requirements to get its permit recognized in other states is a big steaming pile of excrement.

seanm-ia

imported post

We're not. I think this has morphed and taken a life of its own.

It might aid in recognition (not reciprocity - two different things) of the Iowa permit in some states, yes. Good research on your part (farmboy) has shown this to be not always the case.

Frankly, I'm not at all concerned about how other states see the Iowa permit. That's not my problem, that's their problem. I'm more concerned about how Iowa sees the permits of other states. Many (me included) have talked about reciprocity being one of our goals as an organization. It's probably time to modify that message somewhat. It's not really reciprocity we're seeking. Rather, it's recognition of permits from other states that I want to see in Iowa. Recognition of an Iowa permit in other states will follow, especially once there becomes a statewide process as opposed to 99 little "serfdom" processes.

People are recognized as adults in the USA at the age of 18 years and they should be treated as such.
I happen to agree. Who is the militia in Iowa?

However... if that's the case, there are a number of laws that need to be changed, not just firearms laws. For example, if you are an "adult," why can you not purchase alcohol?

There are no firearms bills being considered that will address this issue completely. None of the bills out there change 724.22. While the Sorenson bill makes an attempt at fixing the 18/21 issue in 724.8, it is curiously silent on 724.22. So while it fixes the general ability to carry a weapon under 21, it does not address the minute details of how that actually works in practice. If the Sorenson bill really wanted to tackle the issue completely and honestly, that would have been addressed as well.

If we were to gut everything and start over, a "real right to carry law" would look nothing like what we have now. But that's not feasible this year.

I concede that we have no idea what HF 2397 will look like when it emerges intact. However, I can also tell you that if it does not meet our minimum standards, we will cease to support it. So will the NRA. Anything that comes out needs to look very much like 2255, or it's a no go.

I have heard rumors that the House leadership is not willing to make substantive changes to the bill. That is good. The only thing I've heard so far are three items:

1) That list of 10 points that disqualify someone on USC 18? Removed and replaced with one sentence: "Not otherwise prohibited by Federal law."

2) Participation in an organized gun club/shooting match may be removed as acceptable training.

3) There might be an attempt to codify what "under the influence" means (as in, spelling out .08).

Does that mean that there aren't more surprises in store? I'd like to think not, but we're talking politics here, and I don't trust that process. So we have to wait and see what pops up.

In the meantime, there are a number of points that some folks are going to have to agree to disagree on. One of them being this whole "18 year old" issue. Everyone who wants to see a Non-Pro PCW issued to an 18 year will be disappointed with the current legislation being considered. In the interest of getting relief to a large segment of the Iowa population that is currently unable to get a permit, 2255 addressed that issue very well. I like the idea of a "tiered" permit system, and perhaps that is something that we take up next year.

We also have the McDonald case to consider, which along with other cases in the works, could radically change the landscape of firearms laws (in our favor!) across the country.

Good ideas and the intelligent debate of the issues at hand is something that will help fix the problem for everyone. This forum is one that I used to visit often. The recent amount of venom that has been spewed in this forum, along with the personal attacks, has caused me to disregard what's been posted here as being much more than noise.

Sean

IA_farmboy

imported post

Thanks for a reasoned and informative response, seanm-ia.

I realize that recognition and reciprocity are two different things, perhaps I was not clear on that in some of my previous posts. If Iowans want the Iowa PTC recognized in other states then it would seem the most effective way to achieve that is change the law so that Iowa recognizes other state permits, that would allow the other state's reciprocity laws to go into effect.

It seems that whenever I asked why the bill raises the requirements so high was either that it was to gain recognition in other states or to appease the Democrats in office right now. As I have shown the recognition claim is nonsense. The problem with too many Democrats can be addressed next year.

HF2255 is a very bad bill because it raises the bar of entry for many to appease politicians this year when we can make sure those politicians are not in office next year. The training requirement is so vague that it requires interpretation by the sheriff. The issue of a sheriff that takes the interpretation of the law the wrong way is another thing that can be addressed in the elections.

HF2255 does little to "standardize" the training as so many have claimed since there must be a thousand ways to satisfy the law, depending on how certain words are interpreted. The part that requires training be certified by a law enforcement agency means that a sheriff, being the head of a law enforcement agency, can define any training he or she chooses, including no training.

HF2255 is a very bad bill and, despite the claims that it was written by "professionals", could be much better. I would much rather it die this year so that a better bill can be proposed next year. We need to see good bills go in front of Congress and let the legislators show their colors by a vote. Those that don't vote like we want get replaced, those that do just might get to keep their office.

Why the rush to get something passed this year? Would it not be in our best interest to focus on getting good legislators in office than focusing on getting a bad bill passed?

The momentum is in our favor. Wisconsin just had the right to bear arms (openly) upheld in the courts. There are four states with constitutional carry bills (AZ, WV, WY, and IA), with two of those looking like they will pass soon (AZ and WY). I would think that voters and elected officials alike are looking to other states for guidance. I suggest we look more toward South Dakota than Minnesota for examples of laws to emulate.

seanm-ia

imported post

I realize that recognition and reciprocity are two different things, perhaps I was not clear on that in some of my previous posts. If Iowans want the Iowa PTC recognized in other states then it would seem the most effective way to achieve that is change the law so that Iowa recognizes other state permits, that would allow the other state's reciprocity laws to go into effect.
Agreed.

It seems that whenever I asked why the bill raises the requirements so high was either that it was to gain recognition in other states or to appease the Democrats in office right now. As I have shown the recognition claim is nonsense. The problem with too many Democrats can be addressed next year.

Making the minimum age 21 will help with reciprocity/recognition, yes. It's not a bad thing, but there should be a way to get that and advance the rights of all members of our "militia." I like the approach that you found in SD. Interesting concept, and again, something that could be explored further.

HF2255 is a very bad bill and, despite the claims that it was written by "professionals", could be much better. I would much rather it die this year so that a better bill can be proposed next year. We need to see good bills go in front of Congress and let the legislators show their colors by a vote. Those that don't vote like we want get replaced, those that do just might get to keep their office.
This is one place that we will have to agree to disagree. As someone who is personally in favor of getting back on the track of obeying the Constitution, I would like nothing better that to have the 2A mean what it says, and say what it means. Period. But I also believe in taking measured steps to get there, as does the Board of Directors of IC. Some agree with that, some do not. This doesn't make your opinion or mine wrong. It's just that - a difference of opinion.

If 2255/2439 (the correct number, not the number I used in a previous post) makes it through the House, then the Senate, and then to Culver's desk, votes will be watched, noted, and publicized. That you can be sure of.

Why the rush to get something passed this year? Would it not be in our best interest to focus on getting good legislators in office than focusing on getting a bad bill passed?
Sure - if 2255/2439 was a bad bill. And since we really, truly do not know what's going to be in the final version yet, how can we accurately pass judgment on that? Assuming that it comes out exactly as it went in, our opinion is that it is not a bad bill. The training requirements are already in use, right now, in other states. (I used to live in one, in fact.) Don't take the "standardized training" as meaning one type of training. Instead, standardized in this case is the same types of training accepted across the state. The Sheriffs don't get to choose. They can make their own course if the desire, but it's not going to be the only thing accepted. Since every citizen will have the same requirements placed before them, and the same ways to meet those requirements, it will be "standardized" throughout the state. This is not a bad thing.

Yes, the momentum is in our favor. I agree. But we'll have to disagree on how to best use that momentum. Again, I don't believe this makes either of us patently wrong. And I for one appreciate other viewpoints. Living in a vacuum and not paying attention to other ideas is a good way to get into a rut.

Sean

IA_farmboy

imported post

Making the minimum age 21 will help with reciprocity/recognition, yes. It's not a bad thing, but there should be a way to get that and advance the rights of all members of our "militia."

How does raising the age requirement improve the recognition of the Iowa PTC in other states? I just showed that South Dakota, with an age requirement at 18 years, is recognized in just as many (give or take) as a state with an age requirement at 21 years.

How many states does the Iowa PTC have to be recognized in to make Iowa Carry happy?

You have an odd way of showing your concern over arming the Iowa militia. I agree that getting recognition is not a bad thing, I just think that arming the Iowa militia should take priority.

Was there any study done by Iowa Carry that would estimate the states that would recognize the Iowa PTC if certain changes were made to Iowa code? How many states would we gain recognition by raising the age requirement to 21 years versus keeping it at 18 years? Is there a specific state in mind that recognition is desired? Minnesota perhaps? Why is recognition even on the radar? Shouldn't we see how shall issue, "standard" training, and recognition of other state permits affect the recognition of the Iowa PTC before giving up ground we already have?

I like the approach that you found in SD. Interesting concept, and again, something that could be explored further.

I certainly hope that you do explore this further. Again I feel I must point out how odd the path Iowa Carry has chosen appears to me. You support a bill that contains provisions that you claim you will fight against in the future. Would it not be simpler to not put those provisions in the bill in the first place?

If it was only the 18 to 21 change that was at issue here I might just have kept quiet about all of this. The training requirement issue makes me wonder if this is truly a "shall issue" bill. The conditional permit provision only complicates an already complicated permit system. I guess it all boils down to that here you had the opportunity to simplify the law but instead Iowa Carry and the NRA seemed to go out of its way to make it more complicated.

You go explore those concepts and hopefully, regardless of the outcome of HF2255, next year Iowa Carry will take an eraser to the law instead of authoring another epic.

seanm-ia

imported post

How does raising the age requirement improve the recognition of the Iowa PTC in other states? I just showed that South Dakota, with an age requirement at 18 years, is recognized in just as many (give or take) as a state with an age requirement at 21 years.

Yes, you did. And that's research that perhaps should have been done sooner, on our part. Nothing more than an excuse, but we only have so many people with so many ideas - and time to carry them out. You did some legwork that we haven't done, and it will be so noted for future reference on our part.

How many states does the Iowa PTC have to be recognized in to make Iowa Carry happy?

None. Back to my point a few posts ago, it's really not Iowa's problem what other states think about our permit. That's their problem. But if we can do something that will help with that and not muck around with our own process, so be it. We're also beating a dead horse here, though:

- You've proven that the 18/21 thing didn't make a difference in SD

- I've admitted that your research was an interesting find, and one that we'd look at for future reference

- Because of the inroads that have already been made with the 2255 process, and the fact that this is a point that we will have to agree to disagree on, we (IC) will not be pulling our support for this legislation based on this point. We still feel that overall, this bill represents a move forward for the majority of Iowans.

You have an odd way of showing your concern over arming the Iowa militia. I agree that getting recognition is not a bad thing, I just think that arming the Iowa militia should take priority.

Not at all. You and I just look at it from different perspectives. Re-read what you wrote above. You believe that making sure that 18-21 year olds are taken care of should be a priority. We do not. We believe that making an attempt to take care of the majority of the population first should take priority. And based on what you've been able to dig up, we now have some other ammo (no pun intended) to use for future plans.

Iowa Carry is more than me as President. It is a group that decides what is important them, as a group, representing our membership. Our BoD and members have not placed that 18-21 problem as high on the list as the other issues, and the actions of the group reflect that.

As the President, though, you (and everyone else) get to take your shots at me. :) I do appreciate the other members of the group that have jumped in here from time to time to voice their opinions as well, though!

I can also guarantee that I do listen to what is said, not only from our members, but from other folks like you who have other ideas. (I'm only assuming here that you're not currently a member.)

I certainly hope that you do explore this further. Again I feel I must point out how odd the path Iowa Carry has chosen appears to me. You support a bill that contains provisions that you claim you will fight against in the future. Would it not be simpler to not put those provisions in the bill in the first place?

No. Again, the 18-21 issue was not something that we believed needed to be addressed right now. The NRA brought in language that they believed would actually have a chance of passage, helping the vast majority of those who want to obtain an Iowa PCW. Before we even saw the language, it was already being discussed behind the scenes with key lawmakers. The groundwork was already laid down. There's nothing odd about me telling you that I agree, 18-21 year olds should be taken care of, but that you and I disagree on the priority for that issue.

If it was only the 18 to 21 change that was at issue here I might just have kept quiet about all of this. The training requirement issue makes me wonder if this is truly a "shall issue" bill. The conditional permit provision only complicates an already complicated permit system. I guess it all boils down to that here you had the opportunity to simplify the law but instead Iowa Carry and the NRA seemed to go out of its way to make it more complicated.
I still fail to see what is incorrect with the training requirement. Right now, we have Sheriffs who use the training requirement (as written) to keep from issuing a permit. How? By specifying that only their training is acceptable, but golly, they only have one (or a few) classes each year, and there's only a few seats available, so it's tough to get in. Now, there will be many other forms of training that are acceptable, so a permit applicant can bypass the Sheriff's "mandated" training and find it elsewhere - even using training previously obtained outside of Iowa. This works well in other states. I'm not sure what will not work with this here.

You go explore those concepts and hopefully, regardless of the outcome of HF2255, next year Iowa Carry will take an eraser to the law instead of authoring another epic.
Keep in mind, we didn't author this one. :) We just chose to support it. We did author our own last year, when political shenanigans took 724 and made it even worse than it already is. We pulled our support for Clel's bill and wrote our own. And, we got a few things wrong, as it turns out. But it was our first attempt at writing our own. We were fully prepared to do the same thing this year, and fix our mistakes, when we were presented with the NRA's legislation. Instead of reinventing the wheel, we decided to support it.

For the vast majority of Iowans who choose to apply for a permit, this will bring immediate relief. The population that is 21+ far exceeds the population that is 18-21. As a nod to the whole reason this website exists, there will be open carry allowed. Not unpermitted, as in Virginia and other states, but still, it will be allowed if someone has a PCW. The whole unpermitted part is something that again can be addressed in the future. There is no language in the bill that stipulate where firearms cannot be carried, nor are there regulations that spell out how "No Firearms Allowed" signs will carry the force of law, as is done in Texas with 30.06. Training requirements are easily met. The media can no longer post the names of permit holders willy-nilly, as some do. A means for an applicant to appeal a denial is provided, which currently does not exist. Most importantly, it is shall issue with no restrictions. The residents of Emmet, Dubuque, Jasper, Buena Vista, Harrison, etc... can finally apply for and receive an Iowa PCW. The residents of counties where a Sheriff issues permits for "Hunting, trapping, and fishing" (useless permits) will get relief, because that will no longer be allowed.

Are there things we might have changed? Sure.

"Iowa recognizes all valid permits from all other states." That might be a good start. But it wasn't enough to overlook the fact that with the real possibility of getting relief right now, that could be tabled for the time being. Then there's your sticking point, the 18-21 issue. We agree that it's an issue, but we disagree on where it sits in priority.

I have pledged to you (and everyone else reading, for that matter) that what you have said is good information, and will not be forgotten. I've also said that Iowa Carry, as a group, will not pull support for the NRA's legislation unless it emerges from this shell as some abomination that looks nothing like 2255.

Here is my challenge to you. You evidently have good ideas, and a working grasp of what's going on. You've done some research that nobody else has done. Use that to the advantage of everyone in Iowa. Support whichever group you feel gives you the best "warm and fuzzy" feeling, be that IGO or IC. But don't just support them with your dollars, step up to the plate and take a leadership position to be a part of the process that helps formulate legislation and strategy. There are plenty of people who sit in these forums and take potshots at either side, behind the anonymity of their screen name and keyboard. If you were a member of IC, I'd be reaching out to you to be more involved with our legislative group. I'd want you to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

To you (and to all others who are reading) the 18-21 issue is a moot point this year, at least with the NRA bill. It's not going to be changed in the NRA legislation, and Iowa Carry's not going to pull support for the bill simply based on that one point. You can label us "anti-freedom" or "anti-rights" or whatever else suits your needs. In reality, that's simply not true, but thanks to something called the First Amendment, everyone is free to do so anyway. We simply believe that the best path to getting to our goal is to make smaller, measured steps that some may see as "compromise." Others prefer an all or nothing approach. Our goals are the same - the paths are different. A difference in strategy, and there is really no point in turning that difference into the kind of vitriol that has been evident in this forum (and others).

If you want to help Iowa Carry or want to discuss things offline, you can always find me through our website. I do not hide who I am, and I welcome thoughtful communications from anyone who chooses to write. I don't believe I have much else to say on this 18-21 thing though, because in my opinion, that horse expired a long time ago.

Sean

Farmgirl

imported post

Actually, Ethies, Iowa law does not "AUTOMATICALLY" change if federal law does. That is very specifically my gripe; if you REFERENCE the enumerated federal law (e.g. unless barred under federal law 724.4.b) , it goes away automatically once federal law is changed. If you incorporate the Lautenberg wording into Iowa law, like the IC/NRA bill,it takes a new lawsuit, courts, judges, from scratch again (Heller didn't automatically overturn the city & stategun bans, did it?). As I noted above, it would take yearsto change. I'm not a lawyer and I can figure that out; why can't the "professionals?"

IC claims to have been at this for years and don't know that, and IA Farmboy has done more research on reciprocity in a few days than IC has in 4 yrs? Farm kids in the cheap seats do homework for the so-called professionals? And IC still supports and defends this horrendous bill that takes us backwards when we could use a good bill to get a vote, put the politicians on the record,and CLEAN the legislative house in November?

Good job, IA Farmboy...too bad the city slickers can't figure it out. Maybe you should contact the NRA and IC and help them draft a good bill. No, wait...you could just support Sorenson's bill. What a novel idea.

Ditch this empty bill now, before the anti-gunners fill it and make it even worse than 2255. As Iasked earlier, do you REALLY believe the democrats are going to pass a real shall-issue pro-gun bill? The nicey-nice tactics didn't even work when the supposedly pro-gun republicans were in charge, so it certainly won't work on the dems this time either. How many steps backwards before you abandon ship? Obviously, more than I'm willing to accept.

IA_farmboy

imported post

I didn't feel the need to add to this thread for some time since there was some confusion on where the bills mentioned in the thread title stood. I had a chance to go to the gun show in Des Moines today and chat with a trio of friendly gentlemen at the Iowa Carry booth. It seems that the exact wording of what HSB721 is unknown but it seems that enough details on the bill has emerged that Iowa Carry and the NRA have both pulled their support. It would seem that if a bill should escape the subcommittee discussing HSB721 that the bill will be poisoned with enough anti-rights provisions to kill it in any vote.

From my conversation today and from what I've read here at OCDO and IowaCarry.org it would seem that there is some confusion on where out-of-state recognition lies as a matter of priority and what should be done about it. Some of that confusion lies in where the 18 to 21 years of age change came from. Was it a means to achieve a higher rate of recognition? Was it a compromise to improve chances of getting a passing vote from legislators? A little bit of both? Since the bill was not authored by Iowa Carry, and the NRA doesn't seem too talkative, there is much speculation and confusion going around. I hope that Iowa Carry can improve the channels of communication in the future, for their own sake and for that of any bills they choose to support in the future. I don't know if it's a matter of leadership not explaining things to members or members not getting through to leadership but the communication needs to be improved so that Iowa Carry can speak with one voice on its mission.

I've also seen Iowa Carry members saying how strong the original bill was and using our discussions on the age change as proof. If all we have to complain about is the age change then the bill must be good elsewhere, or so the argument seems to me. I would use the back and forth about the age limit change as an example of the poor communication within Iowa Carry and between Iowa Carry and the NRA.

While the age change is an issue with the bill as submitted I would like to focus on the training requirement as I did with a certain Mr. Burris (sorry, I forget his first name) that I met at the Iowa Carry booth at the gun show today. The part of the bill I have a problem with is proposed changes to section 724.9 of Iowa Code.

Code:
b.  Completion of any firearms safety or firearms training
  5  5 course available to the general public offered by a law
  5  6 enforcement agency, community college, college, private or
  5  7 public institution or organization, or firearms training
  5  8 school utilizing instructors certified by the national rifle
  5  9 association or the department of public safety or another
  5 10 state's department of public safety, state police department,
  5 11 or similar certifying body.

The problem I have is that the sheriff would still be the person interpreting this portion of the code since he or she would still be the person issuing the permits. A sheriff, as the head of a law enforcement division within the state, would have the power to offer a training course to the public under this provision. The sheriff can simply waive any training by offering "training" that consists of nothing more than submitting the application.

There is no guidance in the provision on what constitutes minimum required training. It does set a maximum through some very plain language which should prevent sheriffs from denying permits based on an onerous and/or arbitrary and capricious training requirement. It seems that Mr. Burris agreed with my assessment of the language.

Mr. Burris did explain that the intent was to avoid the imposition of training that was onerous, arbitrary, capricious, etc. and the continuation of "may issue" by this means while still providing that people applying for a permit did in fact get training prior to getting a permit. While I believe that the proposed bill did avoid the imposition of impossible to obtain training it failed in assuring applicants did show proper aptitude prior to receiving a permit.

There are a few solutions that I can see to this problem. One is to remove any ambiguity to the training requirement. Place specific forms of training that would be acceptable and the specific paperwork that would be required to prove one had obtained that training. Another possibility is to have a single person or group be responsible to decide on proper training. This would likely mean that the sheriffs would not be issuing the permits but instead some statewide entity. My favorite solution is to simply remove the training requirement.

Before people have a heart attack over the last sentence I'd like to point out that I am not opposed to people obtaining training before carrying a weapon, in fact I encourage it. What I have seen happen in Iowa and other states is that when training is required it tends to devolve into arbitrary requirements to obtain a permit which results in "may issue" or, some kind of rationing scheme (since training would only be offered to so many people over time),

This brings me back to the confusion over recognition of the Iowa permit to carry in other states. If I found this issue in the bill then I would assume that some Attorney General in another state would find it also. If the goal was to have a minimum set of training to appease the powers that be so that Iowans can carry weapons while traveling out of the state then it would seem that this provision has failed.

This is all just a bunch of thinking out loud since I doubt my concerns will be met in the current sausage making session. I'm hoping that by posting my thoughts here I can help in making any future proposals to the Iowa legislature a stronger protection to our rights.