• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kahr P380 (vs Micro Desert Eagle vs Keltec P3AT)

DEROS72

imported post

What is the issue here??? get the Bersa .380 ,inexpensive and probably the best on the market.

Bersa is on the left....

shad0wfax

imported post

I have a Kel-Tec P3AT and have only had jams with Remington Golden Saber ammo. The Federal Hydra-Shocks and Winchester SXT/Rangers work just fine.

I'm still waiting to test Hornady Critical Defense and the new Winchester Bonded PDX-1 in it.

I haven't found Speer Gold Dots for it.

I don't think my Kel-Tec likes the heavier bullets that the Remington Golden Sabers use but the other two types of defense ammunition I've shot through it were flawless.

Electricview

Hey i know this is an older thread. Do any of you guys head to the range regularly with one of these p380's? I'm on the west side of washigton here. (occasionally shoot at Wades with a fried, used to be a member at issaquah, haven't tried west coasts range yet but am real close to it). And I really want to try one of these p380's before i drop the 600+ on one, having never owned a kahr and only shooting a pm9 once. I of course would bring my only little box of 50 shots of .380. I just would really like to experience the recoil. I'm used to a Keltec p32 which is only 32 caliber, i know alot of posts i've read on the internet state the Kahr p380 is much better than the Keltech P3At, but no one ever compares it to the p32.. I even find the p32 a bit uncomfortable to shoot at the range.

Anyways If anyone wouldn't mind i would love to shoot one of these sometime to see if its something that would fit me.

Thanks! sorry for the reviving of the old thread!

Phssthpok

I'll stick with the perfected designs of John Moses Browning (BBUH) as utilized in my Colt Govt. Stainless Pocketlite .380, thankyouverymuch.:monkey

guns012.jpg

amlevin

I've carried a Kel-Tec P2-AT for a couple of years as a BUG. There's no doubt that they are not the "fit and finish" of guns like Sig, HK, etc. They are inexpensive and small. Most consider a firearm in this size and caliber as a "weapon of last resort".

A firearm like this is only accurate out to about 25 feet. With it being essentially a "close in" firearm I don't see the need for hours and hours of practice. Just pull, point, shoot. As for reliability, they definitely do have some issues until either broken in or "fluffed and buffed". I stripped mine down when I brought it home. With some 2,000grit sandpaper, wrapped around a dowel, I removed the machine marks from the feed ramp. Using the same paper with a popsicle stick I did the same for all the other machine marks on slide and flat barrel surfaces. The finish after the 2k grit sandpaper work is good enough but I finished up by polishing the feed ramp to a mirror finish with some rouge and a dremel.

For just over $200 I have a very reliable backup pistol that fits in a shirt pocket, pants pocket, or a small IWB holster. I also like to carry it in the front pocket on the "bib" of my Carhartt's. With the clip (not the magazine, but the pocket clip) installed it looks just like a small tool clip on the outside of the pocket.

For a real gun I carry a Sig P-229 or CZ75 SP-01. As for the Kel-Tec? Let's just say that it goes a lot of places that anything larger would not be practical (wink, wink)

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
It's not a recommendation, its a requirement. The first round MUST be chambered using the slide release or it may not get fully into battery. I've never been able to rack-chamber my CW9 successfully. I only tried it experimentally.

Interesting. I can consistently chamber a round without using the slide release, and I have done so with more than one Kahr (P9's). By consistently I mean every time I've ever loaded my Kahr (going on several years now), or anyone else's. I would have no problem bringing it to the next local meet and greet to show off my seemingly freakish skills ;). I will agree that the Kahr is much less forgiving of improper slide racking techniques.

Just don't follow the slide forward with your hand, or otherwise baby it! Pull back hard, and let that sucker go.

Trigger Dr

[I would have no problem bringing it to the next local meet and greet to show off my seemingly freakish skills ]Quote

Right... just what we need at a OC meet, some one playing show off with a gun.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
[I would have no problem bringing it to the next local meet and greet to show off my seemingly freakish skills ]Quote

Right... just what we need at a OC meet, some one playing show off with a gun.

I realize in retrospect that my statement can be incorrectly inferred to allude that I would be racking and tapping in the middle of [insert random parking lot or restaurant]. I obviously meant the next shooting range meet and greet (of which we have had several). I would have hoped that my fellow OC'ers would be able to understand my meaning without the need for sarcastic criticism. I forgot that you have to spell everything out step by step for some folks on this board.

My point, once again is that most Kahr's can in fact be racked successfully with little to no issue.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
A .380 shoot sounds like a great idea! I almost never practice with my bug (Colt Gov. .380) and I should of course.

(For those that may be confused, I also meant an activity at a suitable location for safe firing.)

SayWhat

Never had a single malfunction from my p3at. is it fun to shoot? no. is the fit and finish the best? no. are the sights good? no. but what the hell do you want for 200$. If you want better fit and finish in the same sized pistol, look at the ruger lcp. no matter what micro .380 you get, I strongly suggest a crimson trace for it.

tai4de2

I still have the Kahr P380 and after an initial break-in period it has never jammed or misfired over the course of putting several hundred rounds through it.

It needs to be racked by releasing the slide from its open position. Just pulling the slide back and letting it go doesn't always work properly.

I really like this gun and have no thoughts about replacing it. It's a nicer gun than the Keltec and Micro Desert Eagle pocket .380s I owned previously.

Last edited: