Thread: My Letter to the Editor

Post imported post

Openly carrying firearms.

I've noticed, of late, that there is a 'civil rights' movement afoot regarding our Second Amendment. The Second Amendment is very clear and applies to every individual, stating simply that "...the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms shall not be infringed." This right to individual self defense predates the Constitution and is an admission to the Natural Rights inherent in Free People. There is a group called Open Carry that is working to help people understand this basic principle and I believe we should all support them.

It is of my opinion that we, as a Free People, ought to celebrate our Liberty. Under Common Law it is Right and Just that a freeman openly carry a sidearm; and why not? He or she is not hiding anything and is being forthright about their intentions. Why should any other human being fear a man who is armed? Mere arms do not offer threat of violence, in fact, they oppose it. It is those who mingle about in public with secretive weapons and, thereby, secretive intent who must be feared. The adage, "out of sight out of mind" is only succor for the timid and weak-minded. In a free society let a man carry his weapon openly and the society will remain, thusly, free.

Mike Cowan

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Mcgyvertech wrote:

I've noticed, of late, that there is a 'civil rights' movement afoot regarding our Second Amendment. The Second Amendment is very clear and applies to every individual, stating simply that "...the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms shall not be infringed." This right to individual self defense predates the Constitution and is an admission to the Natural Rights inherent in Free People. There is a group called Open Carry that is working to help people understand this basic principle and I believe we should all support them.

It is of my opinion that we, as a Free People, ought to celebrate our Liberty. Under Common Law it is Right and Just that a freeman openly carry a sidearm; and why not? He or she is not hiding anything and is being forthright about their intentions. Why should any other human being fear a man who is armed? Mere arms do not offer threat of violence, in fact, they oppose it. It is those who mingle about in public with secretive weapons and, thereby, secretive intent who must be feared. The adage, "out of sight out of mind" is only succor for the timid and weak-minded. In a free society let a man carry his weapon openly and the society will remain, thusly, free.

Mike Cowan
    Welcome to OCDO Mike - nice first post.

Your views are obviously going to be well received here. Waiting to see if SCOTUS has the same wisdom.

May I suggest that you add your location, at least the state, to your profile. It helps a lot when responding to location sensitive postings and such.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Welcome aboard and a nice first entry. We're pleased to have you with us.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Welcome aboard!

Post imported post

Great letter. What paper did this appear in?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

buster81 wrote:
    Great letter. What paper did this appear in?
    I'm guessing that this was a letter submitted to the editor - most of which seldom see print - especially if they make a lot of sense w/o being argumentative.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO

Shared sentiments by most of us here.

Post imported post

Mcgyvertech wrote:

I've noticed, of late, that there is a 'civil rights' movement afoot regarding our Second Amendment.
    I agree. In fact, I think it's been afoot for 247 years, since the Revolutionary War began in 1763!

It just took a while for the ideas to make it into print...
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Post imported post

Great post and welcome aboard my friend. :celebrate

Capricorn

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Post imported post

Good post! Welcome aboard.

Post imported post

Welcome, it's great to see new like minded friends, keep up the good work. Carry on.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

Smile

Good post. Probably right-will never see the ink.

Why do citizens freak out when MWAG are called.. TV has done a wonderful job of traumatizing guns.. Many Holywierd types make lots of $$$ from films using them and then oppose anyone having guns.

Others (senators, mayors, actors/actresses) oppose guns cause they have body guards with GUNS. Others dont mind calling 911 to get someone with a GUN to show up and settle things. Police dont have to defend every citizen-per Supreme Court. Tell your neighbor, family member that the police dont have to defend you and they think you have already had too much to drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyvertech View Post

Mike Cowan
    I want to kiss you in the most non-gay way possible.