• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Letter to the Editor

Mcgyvertech

imported post

Openly carrying firearms.

I've noticed, of late, that there is a 'civil rights' movement afoot regarding our Second Amendment. The Second Amendment is very clear and applies to every individual, stating simply that "...the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms shall not be infringed." This right to individual self defense predates the Constitution and is an admission to the Natural Rights inherent in Free People. There is a group called Open Carry that is working to help people understand this basic principle and I believe we should all support them.

It is of my opinion that we, as a Free People, ought to celebrate our Liberty. Under Common Law it is Right and Just that a freeman openly carry a sidearm; and why not? He or she is not hiding anything and is being forthright about their intentions. Why should any other human being fear a man who is armed? Mere arms do not offer threat of violence, in fact, they oppose it. It is those who mingle about in public with secretive weapons and, thereby, secretive intent who must be feared. The adage, "out of sight out of mind" is only succor for the timid and weak-minded. In a free society let a man carry his weapon openly and the society will remain, thusly, free.

Mike Cowan

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Mcgyvertech wrote:

I've noticed, of late, that there is a 'civil rights' movement afoot regarding our Second Amendment. The Second Amendment is very clear and applies to every individual, stating simply that "...the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms shall not be infringed." This right to individual self defense predates the Constitution and is an admission to the Natural Rights inherent in Free People. There is a group called Open Carry that is working to help people understand this basic principle and I believe we should all support them.

It is of my opinion that we, as a Free People, ought to celebrate our Liberty. Under Common Law it is Right and Just that a freeman openly carry a sidearm; and why not? He or she is not hiding anything and is being forthright about their intentions. Why should any other human being fear a man who is armed? Mere arms do not offer threat of violence, in fact, they oppose it. It is those who mingle about in public with secretive weapons and, thereby, secretive intent who must be feared. The adage, "out of sight out of mind" is only succor for the timid and weak-minded. In a free society let a man carry his weapon openly and the society will remain, thusly, free.

Mike Cowan
Welcome to OCDO Mike - nice first post.

Your views are obviously going to be well received here. Waiting to see if SCOTUS has the same wisdom.

May I suggest that you add your location, at least the state, to your profile. It helps a lot when responding to location sensitive postings and such.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

buster81 wrote:
Great letter. What paper did this appear in?
I'm guessing that this was a letter submitted to the editor - most of which seldom see print - especially if they make a lot of sense w/o being argumentative.

Yata hey

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mcgyvertech wrote:

I've noticed, of late, that there is a 'civil rights' movement afoot regarding our Second Amendment.
I agree. In fact, I think it's been afoot for 247 years, since the Revolutionary War began in 1763!

It just took a while for the ideas to make it into print...

langenc

Good post. Probably right-will never see the ink.

Why do citizens freak out when MWAG are called.. TV has done a wonderful job of traumatizing guns.. Many Holywierd types make lots of $$$ from films using them and then oppose anyone having guns.

Others (senators, mayors, actors/actresses) oppose guns cause they have body guards with GUNS. Others dont mind calling 911 to get someone with a GUN to show up and settle things. Police dont have to defend every citizen-per Supreme Court. Tell your neighbor, family member that the police dont have to defend you and they think you have already had too much to drink.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

Mike Cowan

I want to kiss you in the most non-gay way possible.