• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Strategy of Intimidation

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

The Brady Campaign has thrown down the gauntlet asserting that carrying a gun is an act of intimidation, while at the same time setting forth a practice of threatening businesses with boycott. The organized meets at commercial locations then, entices the BC to intimidate those locations we frequent into not serving us. Thereare ways to disfuse this cycle of cyber bullying and thuggingof every location open carriers show up.

We have seen both interest in and opposition of open carry skyrocket due to the repeated articles in the newsmedia. This jump in interest is soley due to the media's willingness to cover a contreversial topic. Unfortunately, this interest cannot be maintained indefinately if all the participants do is drink coffee and eat with a holstered firearm. If this movement is to remain newsworthy, it is essential to take the activism from the coffee shop to the streets. Right now, those who see these great get togethers, see themas something that you are doing for yourselves, your egos, or libedos. In order to dispel the notion that this is all about the self-absorbed display of rights- a different strategy must be enacted.

I think that its been demonstrated that open carriers can garner more support and greater numbers than the BC can. I say this in part because, so far, even when given the opportunity to show and oppose the activity, none of the bay areas 500 allegedBC chapter members made their presence known at the Walnut Creek event. This gives the open carriers an advantage in the areaof protest demonstration in the field.

To make the Brady Campaign completely impotent in the area of intimidation, I believe that open carry groups should adopt all manner of charity and public service. This does two things: 1) It gives media another issue to focus on in addition to covering an armed protest group... and 2) Diffuses the BC's assertion that open carry people are doing this for selfishreasons andto intimidate people.

I have brought this up before, but its time to revisit this as the circumstances are dictating a change in tactics.

Open carry groups in California should be involved in:

Community clean ups, adopt-a-highway,Christmas toy drives, clothing drives, food bank collections, fundraising for children's school programs, and all manner of charity for childrens medicine... Pet rescue and adoption, as well ashandgun 'appleseed' programs (community education on firearms).

The beauty of the un-organized open carry groups is thatbecause they are so cellular and in many cases, seperated by (the Bay Area) geography, there is no one thing that the entire group has to participate in---Instead of one group of 100 showing up at one location, it could be a group of 20-25 to clean up a community park in one area, or a group of4-5 passing the hat for a children's burn center in another, while another group teaches handgun safety at a local range to people (women, gays/lesbians, those with handicap)who are new to the world of firearms.

If we get involved in this manner, it becomes more and more difficult to lump all gun owners into this 'big man with a gun, compensating for his deficiencies' bullsh*t that the BC and anti-gunners shout at the uninformed masses.

chewy352

imported post

I have tried this before but had no success. I'm not a very good organizer. Habitat for Humanity ignored my calls and many food banks and soup kitchens turned me down. I am very interested in giving back but am lost as to what we can do.

pdlumina

imported post

I have heard of OC community trash cleanups on the east coast going on. It has been met with approval and admiration of the OC'ers. Just leave the AR's at home, you don't need that kind of publicity.

Guy B. Meredith

imported post

The Richmond Rod and Gun Club is the site for an annual match where proceeds go to Toys for Tots. The money is donated and Toys R Us helps by giving toys twice in value to money received.

I get a real kick out of buying the shirts sold for the event which have "Toys for Tots" logo and then gun images all over them.

Anyway, participating in the match to make the donation is fun. Good matches, difficult. Wearing the shirt is even more fun.

Might be something for BAOC to consider. Maybe as simple as selling the shirts at a price and using the proceeds for charity. Boys and Girls Clubs of Oakland? Toys for Tots? Veteran related?

(Hey, is there an intermediate font on the board? The default #2 stresses out my old eyes but #3 is a big jump and sets me back on my can is surprise when it comes up.)

attachment.php

attachment.php

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

For last year's Sacramento Annual Open Carry Dinner, I planned a trash pick-up before the dinner. I heard it was a great success (I was unable to make it at the last minute). I'm still mulling whether I will plan a 3rd annual or not... and whether it should be more centrally located... but if I do plan one this year I would certainly try to plan some sort of community service as part of it.

IMO litter pickups are the easiest. All you have to worry about is school zones... there's trash to be picked up almost anywhere.

Of course, right now I'm observing the stand-down... but if you're not... some great ideas in this thread.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

So then, we concur.

So we stirred the pot and garnered the media's attention. Now what? Right?

I propose creating an Open Carry NPO, and organizing local chapters to host charitable events and banquets, inviting the general public and LEO.

The foolish, racist, sexist and ignorant stereotype that the BC attempts to brand us with does not hold water, in any capacity, and I don't think that one has to stretch too very far in order to dispell it.