• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pros and cons of possible SHTF rifle choices

Thundar

imported post

I like the SKS. Yugo SKS has a great grenade launcher that can be used to shoot golf balls. You just can't get much more fun than that. 7.62x39 ammo is still pretty easy to get too.

Overtaxed

imported post

If the world has been hit hard enough by whatever man or nature has thrown at it, and supply chains for gun parts and ammo won't restart for decades, if ever, I'd pick the AK for ruggedness, reliability and striking power.
Plus, a roaming survivor would probably find lots of 7.62x39 ammo in people's basements, bunkers and on the bodies of marauders they've just killed.

Second choice would be either an AR-15 or M1 Carbine. I'd probably get in the habit of falling asleep by the campfire with a weapon in my hands, and if someone has crept in close enough to wake me up (but not yet kill me) I'd probably want something I could swing into action very quickly - M1 Carbine would probably fit that bill nicely, but again, if I knew I was in for a medium to long distance encounter, I'd pick the AK or AR style rifle.

If someone is saying "one gun only" for whatever reason, I'd have to say the AK.

The movie the Road had me thinking a lot about this sort of thing.
It certainly wouldn't hurt anyone to think about the sort of weapon that doesn't run out of ammo or jam.
Perhaps a good tactical tomahawk for close-in work.
A good bow isn't a bad idea either - as someone who isn't a bowhunter, I'm *guessing* that most well-made modern arrows can be re-used at least a few times, especially if they ended up in relatively soft soil, soft wood or an animal or human body? And also guessing that fashioning decent arrows from a fairly straight piece of hardwood is possible, too?
A smart raiding party would probably take out sentries with bows and arrows, saving the use of firearms until good tactical movement has brought them into a good encounter position relative to the main body of the enemy, and everyone has a clear line of sight to their targets.

okboomer

imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
In a SHTF situation, I would want the following weaponry;

1. A M1 Garand because of the range factor and the reliability. Yeah, I know it's heavy because I humped one all over Ft. Jackson back in '61. I also know that, even at my age and dimming eyesight, I can reach out and touch people with it. check (actually the M14, but still .308 and it's got range!
2. My Ruger P89 9mm because it's reliable, accurate, and fits my hand. check (actually 1911's and wheel guns in popular calibers)
3. A good modern compound bow. It's a silent weapon that is good for taking out game and sentries when noise is something you don't want. check(and one or two other options for silence)
4. Two really good knives. One would be a pocket knife such as I carry now; a Buck Stockman. It's large enough to get the job done and small enough to comfortably carry. The other would be a good fixed-blade knife with a blackened blade. Reason for the black blade is that you don't want anything shiny that would attract attention.check(available in many different lengths)
And a few calibers in between with ammo in stock :cool:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ah, finally a thread that I have a lock on...:D

SHTF Weapon's >> Hand guns, Medium Battle rifle, Long range Battle Rifle, Shotguns.

1. I have 2 Handguns. A glock34 9mm , Practical - Tactical & a Ruger 22LR.
I like the 9mm round, for many reasons. Light recoil, FAST follow up shots, quick double taps, plus I can hit 8 inch paper plates at 100 yards all day long. 9mm will get the job done just fine.

The Ruger 22LR pistol . for target practice, but it can also double for a close up CQB weapon. press barrel to rear base of skull / or just behind the ear, pull trigger, all the sound will be trapped in the brain cavity. Great for taking out Guards .

2. Light Game / Battle rifle. Most people forget about the Ruger 10/22 Rifle . In a true SHTF , the 22LR will be a very important member of your gun safe. FOOD. this will take all the Rabbits, Racoons, etc you want & can doukle as a light sniper rifle for closer rang targets. Get an inexpensive Scope & a Bi Pod they work great on these.
22LR ammo is cheap. you can buy 5000 rounds for a few hundred bucks.

3. medium Battle >> My new Ruger SR-556 Piston AR15 handles this role well, complete with Aim point Red dot optics & Aim Point 3x Magnifier , she is a medium & close range Tack driving Battle rifle. out to 100- 400 yards good to go (( Buy lots of ammo & lot's of 30 round Mags. )) I have 4000 rounds in the basement for this, with another 4000 rounds coming this summer.

4. Long range Battle rifle > for me this will be accomplished soon with my new Springfield Armory M1A Semi Auto ( M-14 type rifle ) Using the .308 cal - 7.62x51 Nato cartridge & 20 - 25 round Magazines. Targets out to 800 yards are no problem & the heavy .308 round will violate most body armor. Again, get lots of Ammo & Magazines

5. Shotguns . I have a few. My dads older Winchester Pump for Game & My newer Mossberg 590A1 Battle Shotgun complete with Bayonet Lug & Current Issue Marine Corp Bayonet . 8 Rounds in the tube , 2 3/4 or 3inch Mag ...No problemo , great for CQB & Crowd control - once again buy LOTS of ammo... 00 Buck & Slugs.

6. Etc, etc. 30 -30 lever actions, your 7mm rem mag bolt actions, your dads 30.06 semi auto will all fill the role of SHTF weapon if it's all you have.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

then don't forget a way to carry extra mags, etc. With a Tactical vest or a Molle plate carrier. eotac.com, Blackhawk.com or eagle industries will serve you well.