• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SCHOOL FINDER

PincheOgro1

imported post

Koala,

until the law is changed, you still have to abide by it. I/you/we can protest it, but it is still LAW. right or wrong and can ruin a persons life if they make "the" mistake.

dirtykoala

imported post

PincheOgro1 wrote:
Koala,

until the law is changed, you still have to abide by it. I/you/we can protest it, but it is still LAW. right or wrong and can ruin a persons life if they make "the" mistake.

right, but the law doesnt say you cant be within 1000ft of a school, it says you cant be within 1000ft of a school that you knew or should have known was there.

here is why ignorance works, and why everyone should call their local LEA and ask for a map to comply with 626.9.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorantia_juris_non_excusat

edit: this too: http://www.cockeyed.com/science/breathalyzer/breathalyser01.shtml

mjones

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
right, but the law doesnt say you cant be within 1000ft of a school, it says you cant be within 1000ft of a school that you knew or should have known was there.

here is why ignorance works, and why everyone should call their local LEA and ask for a map to comply with 626.9.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorantia_juris_non_excusat

edit: this too: http://www.cockeyed.com/science/breathalyzer/breathalyser01.shtml

...and here is why you need to be exremely careful even if you do not reasonably know. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/27821.html

Be careful out there...

mjones

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
So, to clarify things, is a PRESCHOOL fair game? In utah ANY form of school is off limits unless you have a permit

A preschool is not a K-12 school, so yes, it fair game so far as 626.9 is concerned.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

mjones wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:
So, to clarify things, is a PRESCHOOL fair game? In utah ANY form of school is off limits unless you have a permit

A preschool is not a K-12 school, so yes, it fair game so far as 626.9 is concerned.

The lives of pre-schoolers are not valuable enough to "protect" with legislation such as 626.9.

(I hear the reason for this is that the legislators only feeds on the souls of people over age 5, so it doesn't mind mass-murders at preschools... which we all know 626.9 prevents at K-12s and universities.)

b1ack5mith

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
mjones wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:

The lives of pre-schoolers are not valuable enough to "protect" with legislation such as 626.9.

(I hear the reason for this is that the legislators only feeds on the souls of people over age 5, so it doesn't mind mass-murders at preschools... which we all know 626.9 prevents at K-12s and universities.)
Makes sense... makes perfect sense... ;)

Ca Patriot

imported post

I did some research and found out that there is a private school that teaches Japanese only to kids within the 1000ft of my house. I have lived here for 9 years and I never knew about it. I drove by the location and it is basically in a strip mall tucked away. Its the size of my living room but according to the law it is a school. F&CK THAT !!!

mjones

imported post

Ca Patriot wrote:
I did some research and found out that there is a private school that teaches Japanese only to kids within the 1000ft of my house. I have lived here for 9 years and I never knew about it. I drove by the location and it is basically in a strip mall tucked away. Its the size of my living room but according to the law it is a school. F&CK THAT !!!
I don't think I would consider that a K-12 school. It sounds more like a tutoring center.

Ca Patriot

imported post

mjones wrote:
Ca Patriot wrote:
I don't think I would consider that a K-12 school. It sounds more like a tutoring center.
Thats what I would think too but according to CA law the teachers have to be licensed and insured and registered as a school. I am not an expert on the law but I could easily see a CA prosecutor argueing that case.

mjones

imported post

Ca Patriot wrote:
mjones wrote:
Ca Patriot wrote:
Thats what I would think too but according to CA law the teachers have to be licensed and insured and registered as a school. I am not an expert on the law but I could easily see a CA prosecutor argueing that case.

Then I'm wondering if maybe I misunderstood your sentence.

I read it as, 'I found there is a private school near me which teaches kids the Japanese language'

vs now I think maybe you meant 'I found there is aprivate school near me that teaches kids in the language of Japanese'

its a subtle difference, but a very important one.