• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brief Review: Springfield XD Compact (4" Barrel) .45 ACP

noble

imported post

Sitting at home before the Superbowl started after shooting for an hour at the range (had to get my fix), I decided to write a review on my newly aquired XD.

To date there has been 1,050 rounds through it, Remington UMC (FMJ), but also Wolf (Steel Case), Speer (Gold Dot), Federal (Hydroshok) and Winchester White Box FMJ, along with numerous remanufactured bulk ammo from the gunshows.

I have never had a Fail to feed or fail to eject with a single round put through the weapon, it has handled everything I have thrown at it flawlessly and put it on target accurately (minus operator error, but even the flyers definitely hit center mass and knocked down whatever I was shooting at).

The recoil is smooth, even with +P rounds, and the weapon is quick to get back on target, although there is a small amount of muzzle flip, but if my 100 lb. gf can get it back on target accurately and quickly I'm sure you can handle it ha.

The grip feel is superb, even though it is a compact handgun, and fits perfectly in my medium sized hands, but it was tried and tested by a range of shooting partners with hands ranging from large to tiny, and all were blown away by how comfortable it felt.

The construction is solid (although on earlier models I heard the finish on the slide was shoddy), this one is very resilient and had been abused as my carry gun and still looks like new out of the box. It is easy to field strip, clean and reassemble with minimal effort (read the manual or else the slide WILL fly off)

And at a price of under $500, it can't be beat (I picked mine up for $479)

I have no problem placing my life in this gun, it is accurate, resilient and friendly on wrists,despite being a compact .45. My friend was a diehard 9MM fan until he shot this gun and went out the next day and picked one up because of how impressed he was... It has now replaced his Sig 239 9mm as his daily carry weapon.

All in all I would highly recommend this gun to anyone looking for a carry weapon, or just a shooting gun.

Anyways...

Cheers,
Noble

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I bought a new XD40 around this time last year at a gun show because the price was so low and I couldn't pass it up. I paid $419.99 for it. It shoots high with 165gr WWB, so I suspect 155gr will be its preference (I haven't sent any of that down its pipe yet). No failures to report.

Dreamer

imported post

I have just two words for all you polymer-receiver fans out there:

Daniel Burd
Google it, then go buy something made out of metal...;)

eyesopened

imported post

Dreamer wrote:

Daniel Burd

Nobody had to invent a process for metal, it's called rust. lol

I like both and I don't have to go around putting down one to make the other better :)

SouthernBoy

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Daniel Burd
??? :banghead:

I buy and own and carry both steel and polymer-framed pistols. My primary carry gun for the past nearly three years has been one of my Glock 23's. But I do have steel framed guns which are in my carry stable. Then there is the M&P 40 I have which is both.

Polymer-framed guns certainly have their place and use in the scheme of things.

MHemmann

imported post

a few weeks ago i was testing out new carry pistols at the local range. the glocks were not comfertable plus i had 2 jams, so it was between the XD and the M&P. the XD trigger was long and the grip was to square and didnt fit my hand that great. the M&P has 3 differnt grip sizes to fit most people hand, the trigger was nice and crisp every time. not one problem yet. it's no 1911, but for an every day carry i can count on, you cant beat it.

SouthernBoy

imported post

MHemmann wrote:
a few weeks ago i was testing out new carry pistols at the local range. the glocks were not comfertable plus i had 2 jams, so it was between the XD and the M&P. the XD trigger was long and the grip was to square and didnt fit my hand that great. the M&P has 3 differnt grip sizes to fit most people hand, the trigger was nice and crisp every time. not one problem yet. it's no 1911, but for an every day carry i can count on, you cant beat it.
There is a very simple way to smooth out the M&P trigger if you find it needs it. When I bought mine last December (new), the trigger was a little gritty and not the best. So I closely examined the trigger's workings, did some reading, and came up with an easy little procedure that has done wonders for my trigger.

While watching TV or just sitting in my study, I pickup the gun and start working the trigger. Not dry firing it, but just pulling it all the way to the rear rapidly hundreds of times. I have done this well over 5000 times already and it has resulted in a very nice and acceptable trigger.

shad0wfax

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Daniel Burd
I have just two words for all of you metal-receiver fans out there:

Hydrochloric Acid

Google it, then go buy something made out of polymer... ;)

Yeah, two can play at that game man.