• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PPP in Stanly County

SMW

imported post

I am 19 years old, have grown up around guns, and am proficient with rifles, shotguns, and pistols. I want to start OCing until I turn 21 and get my CWP. I was wondering how hard it is to get a PPP in Stanly County. I have looked on their site and it does not really specify anywhere that I could find. I would be buying the gun from my dad, because I figure that purchasing the gun would cause less trouble than carrying his gun. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dreamer

imported post

Go to this web page, and click on the third link down, "Handgun Permit". It wil download a PDF of the form you need...

http://www.stanlysheriff.us/programs.htm

It does say on the form that you must be 21. This is contrary to NC and Federal law with regards to individual sales. For purchases through a FFL dealer, you must be 21, but under Nc law, for personal sales, you only have to be 21.

I would suggest taking your father along when you turn in the application. If you have him explain that he wants to give you the gun, they may issue you the permit even though you are under 21, but it's realy up to the Sheriff. Although many Sheriffs have the "21 years old" requirement on HPP's, the fact is that there is no requirement for you to be any older than 18 to purchase and possess a handgun in NC, if you are buying it in a personal transaction...

SMW

imported post

Thanks for the site, but is there anything I can print off to show the sheriff that proves that their rule goes against both Federal and State law? Or should my dad going with me be enough?

Dreamer

imported post

Telling a Sheriff that his forms are not legal is probably NOT a good way to get in his good graces, and showing him the State and Federal statutes that back up your position probably won't help matters...

I'd suggest just taking your father along, and have HIM explain to the sheriff that he wants to seel the gun to you in a personal transaction. If he's going to go for it, that is most likely the best tactic. If he's set on not issuing HPPs to people under 21, there's probably not much you can do to change his mind...

Good luck.

CarryOpen

imported post

We do have an appeals process in NC, so even if they are set on not issuing, you could file the application and then appeal it. It should be fairly straightforward to represent yourself in the matter.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

SMW wrote:
I am 19 years old, have grown up around guns, and am proficient with rifles, shotguns, and pistols. I want to start OCing until I turn 21 and get my CWP. I was wondering how hard it is to get a PPP in Stanly County. I have looked on their site and it does not really specify anywhere that I could find. I would be buying the gun from my dad, because I figure that purchasing the gun would cause less trouble than carrying his gun. Thanks in advance for any help.

What does PPP mean? (See rules re acronyms - they should be spellled out if you use them)

What state is your topic pertaiing too? Post such threads in appropriate state in future.

Dreamer

imported post

PPP=Pistol Purchase Permit...

Technically, in NC the PROPER term is HPP--Handgun Purchase Permit

Pistol = Semiauto (like a Glock, 1911, Sig, etc)
Handgun = Pistols AND revolvers...

It's like the old geometry saying, all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.

All Pistols are Handguns, but not all Handguns are Pistols...

Words have meanings, folks. The dictionary is your friend--know it, use it, love it...

CarryOpen

imported post

I'd like to throw out there that I was always taught that a "pistol" was any handgun that the round is chambered in the barrel. Thus dueling pistols being pistols and things like the Thompson Contender etc. in addition to autos.

Dreamer

imported post

CarryOpen,

I stand corrected and properly educated. Thanks for clearing up this rather esoteric distinction.

I learn something new almost every day on this forum!

CarryOpen

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
CarryOpen,

I stand corrected and properly educated. Thanks for clearing up this rather esoteric distinction.

I learn something new almost every day on this forum!
Even though I know the difference I occasionally find myself calling a revolver a "pistol" in casual conversation and correcting myself. One of the main reasons I use the term "weapon" in place of pistol so often - I hate saying something I know is wrong :D