• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reloading

JTknives

imported post

Well i finely decided to go for broke and get into reloading. I'm not going all fancy with a Dillon press and what not. i want to put together a reloading kit that i can put in a backpack so i can hall it to the range or what not. i live in an apartment and don't really want to set up a bench and my knife shop is to dirty. so i have been looking around and have thought about getting the Lee hand press so it can be portable. plus its cheep but that really does not matter. Really though i will look over the lee hand press and make a high quality copy of it at work ;). what I'm wondering is where are the local places to get reloading supply's. i was at cables last night and saw that thy had Large pistol Primers in stock so i bought 2K and some IMR 800-X powder. I think I'm going to get my reloading tools from midway as thy seem to have good prices from what i can tell. Also any tips or guidance for a new reloader would be great.Thanks all- And when is the reloading party :D

buzzsaw

imported post

welcome to an interesting element of firearms and shooting. You didn't mention what caliber you are loading for but Lee does have simple kits for about every common cartridge. That's how I got started. Having made about every mistake possible and gotten away with them I will offer one piece of advice, in addition to the equipment (which in my case had instructions in the box) spend the money on a good reloading manual and take the time to read it. It isn't complicated if you can follow directions and pay attention to the small details. Good luck.

JTknives

imported post

I shoot the Mitty 10MM :D

nuke.jpg

buzzsaw

imported post

I've reloaded 9mm, .38 special, 357, 380 auto and .45 acp but have had most of my gear for a number of years. All of the straight walled cartridges are pretty much the same. You really don't have to worry about getting to fancy (unless you want to). Midway can probably supply you with a good manual, Lyman for example. I think mine is an old sierra but the information is still valid. Just don't get in too much of a hurry and follow the instructions in the manual. I have found that after I got over the apprehension because I was trying something new it became an interesting challenge to work up the most accurate load for each of the guns I was loading for. Amazed me how some guns take to one powder over another or one bullet shape over another and unless you get carried away with yourself its cheaper than over the counter. The manual will advise you to stay away from maximum charges. Its good advice. Stay safe and carry on.

rpyne

imported post

I regularly reload 9mm and 22-250 AI. While I do have an RCBS bench mount press, I do most of my reloading using the Lee hand press simply for convenience. I do most of my case prep such as decapping and resizing while I watch TV. The Lee hand press makes it very convenient.

Edit: mixed messages