Thread: Question about empty mag's

Post imported post

Would the empty mag rule apply to a relvover with spent casings in it? Just curious if this would count as a "loaded firearm"

Post imported post

I don't think it would be considered a "LOADED" weapon. The LEO might be curious as to why you had empty casings in the barrel though.

Post imported post

The LEO might see the empty mag in your 1911 and wonder why as well though right? Not that I would do this just a curious issue..

Post imported post

It would add a long extra step in loading under stress.

Serves no purpose.

Post imported post

Again, sorry to sound redundant but so does ejecting an unloaded mag. I'm not trying to rabble rouse just looking for the law aspect.

Post imported post

There is no legal issue. Spent casings are not ammunition.

People keep empty mags in their semiautos for various reasons, the most prevalent being to keep up the appearance of a loaded firearm to the casual observer. The police have to assume that the firearm is loaded until verified otherwise, so it makes no difference to them if they see someone with a mag in the magazine well. If they want to inspect the weapon, they will.

Dropping an empty mag on the draw motion adds zero time to your loading drill as long as your pistol has drop-free magazines, which nearly all modern guns do. If you practice it regularly, it will become natural to you.

I can't think of a good reason to keep spent casings in the cylinder. Properly made holsters (with either molded sides or a thumb break) should completely cover the cylinder for retention purposes, so nobody should be able to determine your revolver's loaded status at a casual glance.
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

"Live Free or Die"

Post imported post

I saw the worlds fastest speed loader on discovery the other day and he loaded and shot 12 rounds in 3 sec or so. BTW every round hit a four inch group at 10 yards! Just curious I guess. I noticed a lot of OC'ers had empty mags in the firearm at the Walnut Creek event.

State Researcher

Post imported post

12031 prohibits having unexpended ammo in a firing position. If you aren't here to rabble rouse, maybe you should take the initiative and read some of the penal code.

As for empty mags... WAY easier for the average person (i.e. NOT a professional shooter that has 40 years of practice) to quickly eject an empty magazine under stress than to quickly unload a revolver under stress. (Every one I've fired was WAY more work to unload than any pistol.) The fact that you don't know this tells me you're either extremely inexperienced with firearms, or you're just trying to stir @#$% up... or both.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

Thanks for citing the law code. Not trying to start anything, more of a curiosity. Just like the "attached to the gun" rule and holster with mag pouch issue. It seemed to me that it was pointless to have an unloaded mag in the firearm so I see your point. I would think it unwise to do an open carry with spent casings myself. BTW the Ruger .357 I won has an ejector that is extremely efficient.

Post imported post

Without empty brass in the cylinder, it's easier to load with a speedloader.