• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about empty mag's

pdlumina

imported post

Would the empty mag rule apply to a relvover with spent casings in it? Just curious if this would count as a "loaded firearm"

pdlumina

imported post

The LEO might see the empty mag in your 1911 and wonder why as well though right? Not that I would do this just a curious issue..

pdlumina

imported post

Again, sorry to sound redundant but so does ejecting an unloaded mag. I'm not trying to rabble rouse just looking for the law aspect.

wewd

imported post

There is no legal issue. Spent casings are not ammunition.

People keep empty mags in their semiautos for various reasons, the most prevalent being to keep up the appearance of a loaded firearm to the casual observer. The police have to assume that the firearm is loaded until verified otherwise, so it makes no difference to them if they see someone with a mag in the magazine well. If they want to inspect the weapon, they will.

Dropping an empty mag on the draw motion adds zero time to your loading drill as long as your pistol has drop-free magazines, which nearly all modern guns do. If you practice it regularly, it will become natural to you.

I can't think of a good reason to keep spent casings in the cylinder. Properly made holsters (with either molded sides or a thumb break) should completely cover the cylinder for retention purposes, so nobody should be able to determine your revolver's loaded status at a casual glance.

pdlumina

imported post

I saw the worlds fastest speed loader on discovery the other day and he loaded and shot 12 rounds in 3 sec or so. BTW every round hit a four inch group at 10 yards! Just curious I guess. I noticed a lot of OC'ers had empty mags in the firearm at the Walnut Creek event.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

12031 prohibits having unexpended ammo in a firing position. If you aren't here to rabble rouse, maybe you should take the initiative and read some of the penal code.

As for empty mags... WAY easier for the average person (i.e. NOT a professional shooter that has 40 years of practice) to quickly eject an empty magazine under stress than to quickly unload a revolver under stress. (Every one I've fired was WAY more work to unload than any pistol.) The fact that you don't know this tells me you're either extremely inexperienced with firearms, or you're just trying to stir @#$% up... or both.

pdlumina

imported post

Thanks for citing the law code. Not trying to start anything, more of a curiosity. Just like the "attached to the gun" rule and holster with mag pouch issue. It seemed to me that it was pointless to have an unloaded mag in the firearm so I see your point. I would think it unwise to do an open carry with spent casings myself. BTW the Ruger .357 I won has an ejector that is extremely efficient.