• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Called out at Wal-Mart

Sparky508

imported post

I've been frequenting the Wal-Mart here in Graham for what seems like forever and a day. Open carrying at this store at an average of two-three times a week. I have never had so much as a sideways glance until today, when I was approached by a manager, at some capacity, and one of his, I assume, stock boys.

The following is the exchange, to the best of my feeble memory............

"Excuse me sir, I noticed that you have agun......a couple of guns on you, and I'm sure you have a permit and everything."

"Yes sir, I do, is there a problem?"

"You are scaring some of the customers, and with what happenedin Parkland......... "

"Well, that's too bad, I'm sorry to here that." (note: using a sinceretone and not sarcasm)

"Well, uhm, can you cover them up, with your shirt?"

"Sorry sir, but my permit is in my truck, and so you would be asking me to break the law."

"....................Do you have anymore shopping to do?"

"Yes sir."

"Ok, have a nice day."

My son and I both think that it was the guy in electronics section that brought the manager into play. He was pretty rude to us when we were asking for some stuff, and when we walked by, the manager who spoke with me, his stock boy backup, and the electronics dude were all having a cluster F$%!, and got really quiet as we passed.

Shortly after this I was approached by this customer, a, I believe, mentally handicapped gal, near the valentines day cards. She first approached us, my son and I, and lapped the isle, and came back. Riding one of those little rascals scooter gigs.

Understand, that the following conversation, was like talking to a child, of say maybe 10 years old.

"I hope you never have to use those", she said

"Yes ma'am, me too."

"It makes me nervous to see those............guns."

"I'm sorry to hear that, ma'am, is there a particular reason that they worry you?" (Had to ask twice.)

"You always here about shootings.........................."

"Yes ma'am, it is tragic. You have to know though ma'am, not only bad guys have guns, good guys carry them too."

"Are you an officer?"

"No ma'am, just a concerned individual."

"God bless you." She said this very quietly, very hard to hear.

"You too ma'am."

While I was talking to this gal, I took a knee, so as I could get as close as possible to her, and still hear her, while trying to portray a very nonthreatening position. She was obviously terrified. She wouldn't look me in the eyes for the first part of our conversation.I don't know if I made any kind of impact on that gal, or not.

Interesting afternoon though.

1245A Defender

imported post

Sparky508 wrote:
Shortly after this I was approached by this customer, a, I believe, mentally handicapped gal, near the valentines day cards. She first approached us, my son and I, and lapped the isle, and came back. Riding one of those little rascals scooter gigs.

Understand, that the following conversation, was like talking to a child, of say maybe 10 years old.

"I hope you never have to use those", she said

"Yes ma'am, me too."

"It makes me nervous to see those............guns."

"I'm sorry to hear that, ma'am, is there a particular reason that they worry you?" (Had to ask twice.)

"You always here about shootings.........................."

"Yes ma'am, it is tragic. You have to know though ma'am, not only bad guys have guns, good guys carry them too."

"Are you an officer?"

"No ma'am, just a concerned individual."

"God bless you." She said this very quietly, very hard to hear.

"You too ma'am."

While I was talking to this gal, I took a knee, so as I could get as close as possible to her, and still hear her, while trying to portray a very nonthreatening position. She was obviously terrified. She wouldn't look me in the eyes for the first part of our conversation.I don't know if I made any kind of impact on that gal, or not.

Interesting afternoon though.
its interesting that even though "she was obviously terrified" she still came back to talk to youabout her fears.. it seems she could tell that even though you had a gun, that you werent one of the bad guys with a gun..

seems most encounters start with,,,, are you LEO? and maybe the best way to answer would be,,,

im just a concerned citizen, that worries about bad people, that want to do bad things, to good people.. and its important to be able to protect myself and my loved ones at all times.. and right now because im carrying a gun we all here are just a little bit safer from some bad people.

i think you had 2 real nice "run-ins" and handled them real well!