Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: So Cal UOC Adopt a Highway

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Harrah, Oklahoma
    Posts
    769

    Post imported post

    Ok I think it is time to branch out instead of just hanging out. I tried to do community service in Nov. but was turned down by many organizations. So I propose we adopt a section of highway under the Adopt a Highway program. http://adopt-a-highway.dot.ca.gov/index.htm

    I believe there was/is one on the I-5 near Oceanside but heck why not have one on the I-15 as well. If anyone knows who runs the I-5 one please let me know so that I can contact them.

    I will be calling Caltrans tomorrow to get more information. What do you all think?
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Vista, California, USA
    Posts
    35

    Post imported post

    Northern SD county?
    It does not take courage to change America, it takes courage to keep it.
    Ignorance of the law is an excuse for neither citizens..nor for law enforcement.
    NRA life member

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Harrah, Oklahoma
    Posts
    769

    Post imported post

    Ya I was thinking Escondido/Rainbow or maybe north of Temecula even to make it more central. Of course each site has to be researched for schools too which is why I lean towards Rainbow. It also depends on what they have available.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

  4. #4
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,748

    Post imported post

    You go chewy! I remember this idea being tossed around a loooong time ago. It's certainly worthwhile IMO.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Posts
    109

    Post imported post

    chewy352 wrote:
    Ok I think it is time to branch out instead of just hanging out. I tried to do community service in Nov. but was turned down by many organizations. So I propose we adopt a section of highway under the Adopt a Highway program. http://adopt-a-highway.dot.ca.gov/index.htm

    I believe there was/is one on the I-5 near Oceanside but heck why not have one on the I-15 as well. If anyone knows who runs the I-5 one please let me know so that I can contact them.

    I will be calling Caltrans tomorrow to get more information. What do you all think?
    I'd like to see us adopt a section of highway up here in the Bay Area as well. Let us know what you find!

  6. #6
    Regular Member leoffensive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    309

    Post imported post

    As an employee of caltrans i say go for it but if you do decide to go out DO NOT uoc cause its state property

  7. #7
    Regular Member mjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoCal, , USA
    Posts
    979

    Post imported post

    leoffensive wrote:
    As an employee of caltrans i say go for it but if you do decide to go out DO NOT uoc cause its state property
    In what manner would UOC outdoors on state property be a problem?

  8. #8
    Regular Member leoffensive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    309

    Post imported post

    Because its considered a work area like the rest stops cause were out there everyday. I just wouldnt risk it with some of the chps ive encountered on the 15 while working at accidents. And i know how some of the other people that work for caltrans gets. We have a few cry babies. And combine that with some of the overzealous chp and you could have a bad situation

  9. #9
    Regular Member leoffensive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    309

    Post imported post


  10. #10
    Regular Member mjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoCal, , USA
    Posts
    979

    Post imported post

    leoffensive wrote:
    Because its considered a work area like the rest stops cause were out there everyday. I just wouldnt risk it with some of the chps ive encountered on the 15 while working at accidents. And i know how some of the other people that work for caltrans gets. We have a few cry babies. And combine that with some of the overzealous chp and you could have a bad situation
    Similarly...In what manner would UOC outdoors on state property, where state workers workbe a problem?

    ------------

    Basic Rules: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html

    7) If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.



  11. #11
    Regular Member leoffensive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    309

    Post imported post

    Ill look it up when i get home to a computer. While recollection is vague i remember reading something along these lines and i think even being on the freeway would be considered a no go zone for uocing. Ill check it when i get off work

  12. #12
    Regular Member leoffensive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    309

    Post imported post

    well i couldnt find exactly what i had thought i read. so what i had thought was wrong.

    i know theres California penal code section 171b. that deals with buildings.

    http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/171b.html

    but the highways inside of all the fence lines are state property and are considered a work zone to state employees such as myself. i couldnt find any laws prohibiting UOC.

    While i am very supportive of the idea of adopting a section of the highway there are a few reasons i dont feel like it would be a good idea to UOC while on the side of the freeway because it makes you a very easy target. ive personally had a few incidents with people yelling at me and throwing things like baseballs out of their vehicles at me while i was performing work duties. its just a dangerous place in general. one thing you could do is hire adopt a highway guys to go out and do the cleaning for you and you would still have the open carry sign displayed in the adopted area.

    if not then by all means go out and clean that highway! haha im just worried about some little technicality(sp?) of state property thing being a work area and what not.

    i dont think id worry about caltrans employees too much(THERE ARE SOME LOONS THOUGH). i think most of my fellow employees are also gun owners. one thing i can say is that there are mixed feeling about UOC without a doubt as i talk to other members of the crew im in. as some show great concern to my well being and others love hearing about what i have to say about UOC.



  13. #13
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    I looked into adopting a highway at one time. You don't actually do any of the work or go onto the highway (unless you're driving on it with the rest of traffic). You just donate money to help pay the costs of maintaining/cleaning that area. In return, you get a small sign that people ignore while going by at 70+ MPH.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Gundude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo County
    Posts
    1,691

    Post imported post

    In San Diego county, I see people picking up trash on the feeways. They are people who have been sentenced to community service in the courts. The show up with a Caltrans employee, a Caltransvan, a porta potty. The Caltrans guy has a canned horn to warn them if someone is coming after them with their car. And, of course they are all wearing high vis orange vests. As pedestrians aren't allowed on the freeway, they have to do it with Caltrans overseeing it.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego County, CA, California, USA
    Posts
    1,402

    Post imported post

    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    I looked into adopting a highway at one time. You don't actually do any of the work or go onto the highway (unless you're driving on it with the rest of traffic). You just donate money to help pay the costs of maintaining/cleaning that area. In return, you get a small sign that people ignore while going by at 70+ MPH.
    http://adopt-a-highway.dot.ca.gov/ makes it seem like you do the work.

  16. #16
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    The Adopt-A-Highway Program is not a forum for advertising or public discourse. Please contact your local public works agency if you wish to adopt a county road or a city street that is not maintained by Caltrans.
    Sounds like you don't even get a sign doing that. And I bet you're supervised by CalTrans to make sure you don't try to pick up litter in the #2 lane during rush hour.

    I wonder how the CalTrans guys would react to you being openly armed...

    I wonder how the passing drivers would perceive what most people would assume are convicts or community service workers being openly armed...

    Might bring your own vest with "community volunteer" stenciled on it.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Gundude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo County
    Posts
    1,691

    Post imported post

    N6ATF wrote:
    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    I looked into adopting a highway at one time. You don't actually do any of the work or go onto the highway (unless you're driving on it with the rest of traffic). You just donate money to help pay the costs of maintaining/cleaning that area. In return, you get a small sign that people ignore while going by at 70+ MPH.
    http://adopt-a-highway.dot.ca.gov/ makes it seem like you do the work.
    I think you would need a Caltrans employee with you. Kinda make it official.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

  18. #18
    Regular Member A ECNALG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Orange County, California, USA
    Posts
    138

    Post imported post

    Indeed, you can do the work yourselves.

    San Diego Minutemen have sections of I-5, NB and SB, in the vicinity of the CPB checkpoint near San Clemente. They do the cleanups themselves. There was some legal wrangling that they had to contend with that caused a suspension of their operations, however, they should be resuming cleanups in the very near future.

    So, one thing to keep in mind is that a sign promoting open carry may exceed the PC limits under CalTrans rules for deciding who may receive a permit.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Gundude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo County
    Posts
    1,691

    Post imported post

    A ECNALG wrote:
    Indeed, you can do the work yourselves.

    San Diego Minutemen have sections of I-5, NB and SB, in the vicinity of the CPB checkpoint near San Clemente. They do the cleanups themselves. There was some legal wrangling that they had to contend with that caused a suspension of their operations, however, they should be resuming cleanups in the very near future.

    So, one thing to keep in mind is that a sign promoting open carry may exceed the PC limits under CalTrans rules for deciding who may receive a permit.
    If we do it, I get to hold the little horn.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

  20. #20
    Regular Member leoffensive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    309

    Post imported post

    A ECNALG wrote:
    Indeed, you can do the work yourselves.

    San Diego Minutemen have sections of I-5, NB and SB, in the vicinity of the CPB checkpoint near San Clemente. They do the cleanups themselves. There was some legal wrangling that they had to contend with that caused a suspension of their operations, however, they should be resuming cleanups in the very near future.

    So, one thing to keep in mind is that a sign promoting open carry may exceed the PC limits under CalTrans rules for deciding who may receive a permit.
    we have a minuteman kook in my area on the 8. ive been given intructions not to talk to him. apparently hes a problem. i dont like the minutemen at all a sign of theres was knocked down and they sued caltrans over it cause the sign wasnt immediately replaced or some crap like that(its not an important sign so things like speedlimits and stop signs get priority over it) and ended up winning a bunch of money. i look at them as murderers and crooks!

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    542

    Post imported post

    There are OTHER things we can do than adopt-a-highway.

    Orphanages, schools and pet shelters need help, and forget about getting press, those are opportunities to actually get out and talk to people and teach them about firearms.

  22. #22
    Regular Member A ECNALG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Orange County, California, USA
    Posts
    138

    Post imported post

    leoffensive wrote:
    A ECNALG wrote:
    Indeed, you can do the work yourselves.

    San Diego Minutemen have sections of I-5, NB and SB, in the vicinity of the CPB checkpoint near San Clemente. They do the cleanups themselves. There was some legal wrangling that they had to contend with that caused a suspension of their operations, however, they should be resuming cleanups in the very near future.

    So, one thing to keep in mind is that a sign promoting open carry may exceed the PC limits under CalTrans rules for deciding who may receive a permit.
    we have a minuteman kook in my area on the 8. ive been given intructions not to talk to him. apparently hes a problem. i dont like the minutemen at all a sign of theres was knocked down and they sued caltrans over it cause the sign wasnt immediately replaced or some crap like that(its not an important sign so things like speedlimits and stop signs get priority over it) and ended up winning a bunch of money. i look at them as murderers and crooks!
    The issue was not the Minutemen. The issue was whether members of a sponsoringorganization could personally perform the cleanups.

    The lawsuit against CalTrans nothing to do with a sign that had been knocked down. Instead, it had everything to do withfree speech and equal protection due to Caltrans' discrimination against SDMM, apparently at the behest of pro-illegal/pro-amnesty legislators . . .

    From SDMM website:


    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

    Sept 19, 2008

    SAN DIEGO MINUTEMEN ADD STATE LEGISLATORS TO ADOPT-A-HIGHWAY LAWSUIT

    CARLSBAD, CA – San Diego Minutemen Attorney Howard Kaloogian filed a request Monday to amend the lawsuit against Caltrans to include State Senator Gil Cedillo and Assemblyman Joe Coto for their admitted roles in entering into a conspiracy with CalTrans to illegally deny the San Diego Minutemen’s constitutionally protected rights of free speech and equal protection under the laws by improperly revoking the San Diego Minutemen’s adopt-a-highway permit in January.
    Further, the Consulate General of Mexico in San Diego, Richardo Pineda,directly meddledin our state's internal affairs by also attempting to influenceCalTrans policy . . .


    "Mr. Pedro Orso-Delgado, Director, District 11, CalTrans

    "Dear Mr. Orso, I'm writting you in reference to the issue of the permit granted to the San Diego Minutemen group to adopt a stretch of the Interstate 5 Highway within the "Adopt-A-Highway" program.

    "Regarding this issue, I would like to express my surprise and consternation about Caltrans' decision , given that I believe that this measure can exacerbate the preoccupying anti-immigant sentiment expressed by some groups, like the San Diego Minutemen."
    The sign removal notification, signed by Orso-Delgado,noted as reasons for this permit revocation:


    "The location of your existing Adopt-a-Highway (AAH) permit has raised questions regarding public safety due to the proximity of your assigned highway segment to a U.S. Border Patrol facility . . . . Your group has also raised concerns regarding possible vandalism to the courtessy sign . . . . (T)he Department has concluded that your organization's participation . . . poses a significant risk of disruption to the operation of the State Highway, as well as public safety concerns for both the traveling public and participants in the AAH Program."
    The concerns over vandalism and disruption were raised because of threats from pro-illegal alien/pro-amnesty activist to destroy the courtessy sign, and possibly do physical violence upon the cleanup crew from passing vehicles.

    All of this illustrates my second point, that was any group promoting the open carry of firearms may, and likely will, face stiff opposition from both anti-2A extremists and CalTrans.



    On a side note . . .

    I am curious to know who the "kook" is along I-8? Gadget? Ridgerunner? Slick? Kingfish? I certainly know that Lil' Dog is not of whom you speak, as he has been off the border for well over a year now.

    It is unfortunate that you choose to paint with the proverbial broad brush all Minutemen as "murderers and crooks." I have seen with my own eyes REAL murderers and crooks come across our southern border, both day and night. Border Patrol Agent Robert Rosas was murdered last year near Campo by one such piece of crap. The narcotics that these bastards bring across fuel the gangs that plague our cities, large and small. The laborers brought across areroutinelyexploited, extorted, beaten and raped.

    But, of course it's only the Minutemen who are "murderers and crooks."

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Harrah, Oklahoma
    Posts
    769

    Post imported post

    Gadget is still on the Boarder. I met him out there a couple months ago.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

  24. #24
    Regular Member A ECNALG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Orange County, California, USA
    Posts
    138

    Post imported post

    Oops ! One other thing I neglected to highlight....

    CalTran's permit revocation letter also stated:


    "Please be advised that the Department is currently examining allegations of violent behavior and/or advocacy of violence by your group. Under the AAH Program eligibility criteria, entities that advocate violence, violation of the law, or discrimination based upon race . . . ancestry . . . may not participate in the Program . . . . These allegations warrent careful examination, and the Department will conduct this review in an expeditious fashion."
    As stated earlier, the San Diego Minutemen now have both NB and SB stretches of I-5 near San Clemente. Golly gee, apparently, CalTrans was unable to substantiate these seriousallegations.

    Too bad that those who brought the allegations to CalTrans' attention were not themselves subjectto the same "careful examination."



  25. #25
    Regular Member leoffensive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    309

    Post imported post

    A ECNALG wrote:
    leoffensive wrote:
    A ECNALG wrote:
    Indeed, you can do the work yourselves.

    San Diego Minutemen have sections of I-5, NB and SB, in the vicinity of the CPB checkpoint near San Clemente. They do the cleanups themselves. There was some legal wrangling that they had to contend with that caused a suspension of their operations, however, they should be resuming cleanups in the very near future.

    So, one thing to keep in mind is that a sign promoting open carry may exceed the PC limits under CalTrans rules for deciding who may receive a permit.
    we have a minuteman kook in my area on the 8. ive been given intructions not to talk to him. apparently hes a problem. i dont like the minutemen at all a sign of theres was knocked down and they sued caltrans over it cause the sign wasnt immediately replaced or some crap like that(its not an important sign so things like speedlimits and stop signs get priority over it) and ended up winning a bunch of money. i look at them as murderers and crooks!
    The issue was not the Minutemen. The issue was whether members of a sponsoringorganization could personally perform the cleanups.

    The lawsuit against CalTrans nothing to do with a sign that had been knocked down. Instead, it had everything to do withfree speech and equal protection due to Caltrans' discrimination against SDMM, apparently at the behest of pro-illegal/pro-amnesty legislators . . .

    From SDMM website:
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

    Sept 19, 2008

    SAN DIEGO MINUTEMEN ADD STATE LEGISLATORS TO ADOPT-A-HIGHWAY LAWSUIT

    CARLSBAD, CA – San Diego Minutemen Attorney Howard Kaloogian filed a request Monday to amend the lawsuit against Caltrans to include State Senator Gil Cedillo and Assemblyman Joe Coto for their admitted roles in entering into a conspiracy with CalTrans to illegally deny the San Diego Minutemen’s constitutionally protected rights of free speech and equal protection under the laws by improperly revoking the San Diego Minutemen’s adopt-a-highway permit in January.
    Further, the Consulate General of Mexico in San Diego, Richardo Pineda,directly meddledin our state's internal affairs by also attempting to influenceCalTrans policy . . .
    "Mr. Pedro Orso-Delgado, Director, District 11, CalTrans

    "Dear Mr. Orso, I'm writting you in reference to the issue of the permit granted to the San Diego Minutemen group to adopt a stretch of the Interstate 5 Highway within the "Adopt-A-Highway" program.

    "Regarding this issue, I would like to express my surprise and consternation about Caltrans' decision , given that I believe that this measure can exacerbate the preoccupying anti-immigant sentiment expressed by some groups, like the San Diego Minutemen."
    The sign removal notification, signed by Orso-Delgado,noted as reasons for this permit revocation:
    "The location of your existing Adopt-a-Highway (AAH) permit has raised questions regarding public safety due to the proximity of your assigned highway segment to a U.S. Border Patrol facility . . . . Your group has also raised concerns regarding possible vandalism to the courtessy sign . . . . (T)he Department has concluded that your organization's participation . . . poses a significant risk of disruption to the operation of the State Highway, as well as public safety concerns for both the traveling public and participants in the AAH Program."
    The concerns over vandalism and disruption were raised because of threats from pro-illegal alien/pro-amnesty activist to destroy the courtessy sign, and possibly do physical violence upon the cleanup crew from passing vehicles.

    All of this illustrates my second point, that was any group promoting the open carry of firearms may, and likely will, face stiff opposition from both anti-2A extremists and CalTrans.



    On a side note . . .

    I am curious to know who the "kook" is along I-8? Gadget? Ridgerunner? Slick? Kingfish? I certainly know that Lil' Dog is not of whom you speak, as he has been off the border for well over a year now.

    It is unfortunate that you choose to paint with the proverbial broad brush all Minutemen as "murderers and crooks." I have seen with my own eyes REAL murderers and crooks come across our southern border, both day and night. Border Patrol Agent Robert Rosas was murdered last year near Campo by one such piece of crap. The narcotics that these bastards bring across fuel the gangs that plague our cities, large and small. The laborers brought across areroutinelyexploited, extorted, beaten and raped.

    But, of course it's only the Minutemen who are "murderers and crooks."
    i have my personal reasons from experience for my disdain with the minutemen organizations that line our borders. im not gonna go into it as it will probably cause a stupid argument that will go nowhere.

    but back to the idea of adopting a section of highway.

    i think its a great idea. but ill cut right to the really relavent(sp?) issue.

    the whole thing with hostile people throwing stuff at you from cars. its a real safety concern. getting hit with something at 70+ MPH isnt fun and it can be potentially deadly. the thing is someone could easily get away with it. and i think there are a lot of people out there who are hostile towards us. in my oppinion it could potentially be more of a hassle than someone might wanna deal with at the moment.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •