• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So Cal UOC Adopt a Highway

chewy352

imported post

Ok I think it is time to branch out instead of just hanging out. I tried to do community service in Nov. but was turned down by many organizations. So I propose we adopt a section of highway under the Adopt a Highway program. http://adopt-a-highway.dot.ca.gov/index.htm

I believe there was/is one on the I-5 near Oceanside but heck why not have one on the I-15 as well. If anyone knows who runs the I-5 one please let me know so that I can contact them.

I will be calling Caltrans tomorrow to get more information. What do you all think?

chewy352

imported post

Ya I was thinking Escondido/Rainbow or maybe north of Temecula even to make it more central. Of course each site has to be researched for schools too which is why I lean towards Rainbow. It also depends on what they have available.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

You go chewy! I remember this idea being tossed around a loooong time ago. It's certainly worthwhile IMO.

onedavetoomany

imported post

chewy352 wrote:
Ok I think it is time to branch out instead of just hanging out. I tried to do community service in Nov. but was turned down by many organizations. So I propose we adopt a section of highway under the Adopt a Highway program. http://adopt-a-highway.dot.ca.gov/index.htm

I believe there was/is one on the I-5 near Oceanside but heck why not have one on the I-15 as well. If anyone knows who runs the I-5 one please let me know so that I can contact them.

I will be calling Caltrans tomorrow to get more information. What do you all think?
I'd like to see us adopt a section of highway up here in the Bay Area as well. Let us know what you find!

mjones

imported post

leoffensive wrote:
As an employee of caltrans i say go for it but if you do decide to go out DO NOT uoc cause its state property
In what manner would UOC outdoors on state property be a problem?

leoffensive

imported post

Because its considered a work area like the rest stops cause were out there everyday. I just wouldnt risk it with some of the chps ive encountered on the 15 while working at accidents. And i know how some of the other people that work for caltrans gets. We have a few cry babies. And combine that with some of the overzealous chp and you could have a bad situation

mjones

imported post

leoffensive wrote:
Because its considered a work area like the rest stops cause were out there everyday. I just wouldnt risk it with some of the chps ive encountered on the 15 while working at accidents. And i know how some of the other people that work for caltrans gets. We have a few cry babies. And combine that with some of the overzealous chp and you could have a bad situation

Similarly...In what manner would UOC outdoors on state property, where state workers workbe a problem?

------------

Basic Rules: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html

7) If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

leoffensive

imported post

Ill look it up when i get home to a computer. While recollection is vague i remember reading something along these lines and i think even being on the freeway would be considered a no go zone for uocing. Ill check it when i get off work

leoffensive

imported post

well i couldnt find exactly what i had thought i read. so what i had thought was wrong.

i know theres California penal code section 171b. that deals with buildings.

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/171b.html

but the highways inside of all the fence lines are state property and are considered a work zone to state employees such as myself. i couldnt find any laws prohibiting UOC.

While i am very supportive of the idea of adopting a section of the highway there are a few reasons i dont feel like it would be a good idea to UOC while on the side of the freeway because it makes you a very easy target. ive personally had a few incidents with people yelling at me and throwing things like baseballs out of their vehicles at me while i was performing work duties. its just a dangerous place in general. one thing you could do is hire adopt a highway guys to go out and do the cleaning for you and you would still have the open carry sign displayed in the adopted area.

if not then by all means go out and clean that highway! haha im just worried about some little technicality(sp?) of state property thing being a work area and what not.

i dont think id worry about caltrans employees too much(THERE ARE SOME LOONS THOUGH). i think most of my fellow employees are also gun owners. one thing i can say is that there are mixed feeling about UOC without a doubt as i talk to other members of the crew im in. as some show great concern to my well being and others love hearing about what i have to say about UOC.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I looked into adopting a highway at one time. You don't actually do any of the work or go onto the highway (unless you're driving on it with the rest of traffic). You just donate money to help pay the costs of maintaining/cleaning that area. In return, you get a small sign that people ignore while going by at 70+ MPH.

Gundude

imported post

In San Diego county, I see people picking up trash on the feeways. They are people who have been sentenced to community service in the courts. The show up with a Caltrans employee, a Caltransvan, a porta potty. The Caltrans guy has a canned horn to warn them if someone is coming after them with their car. And, of course they are all wearing high vis orange vests. As pedestrians aren't allowed on the freeway, they have to do it with Caltrans overseeing it.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
I looked into adopting a highway at one time. You don't actually do any of the work or go onto the highway (unless you're driving on it with the rest of traffic). You just donate money to help pay the costs of maintaining/cleaning that area. In return, you get a small sign that people ignore while going by at 70+ MPH.
http://adopt-a-highway.dot.ca.gov/ makes it seem like you do the work.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

The Adopt-A-Highway Program is not a forum for advertising or public discourse. Please contact your local public works agency if you wish to adopt a county road or a city street that is not maintained by Caltrans.

Sounds like you don't even get a sign doing that. And I bet you're supervised by CalTrans to make sure you don't try to pick up litter in the #2 lane during rush hour.

I wonder how the CalTrans guys would react to you being openly armed...

I wonder how the passing drivers would perceive what most people would assume are convicts or community service workers being openly armed...

Might bring your own vest with "community volunteer" stenciled on it.

Gundude

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
http://adopt-a-highway.dot.ca.gov/ makes it seem like you do the work.
I think you would need a Caltrans employee with you. Kinda make it official.

A ECNALG

imported post

Indeed, you can do the work yourselves.

San Diego Minutemen have sections of I-5, NB and SB, in the vicinity of the CPB checkpoint near San Clemente. They do the cleanups themselves. There was some legal wrangling that they had to contend with that caused a suspension of their operations, however, they should be resuming cleanups in the very near future.

So, one thing to keep in mind is that a sign promoting open carry may exceed the PC limits under CalTrans rules for deciding who may receive a permit.

Gundude

imported post

A ECNALG wrote:

San Diego Minutemen have sections of I-5, NB and SB, in the vicinity of the CPB checkpoint near San Clemente. They do the cleanups themselves. There was some legal wrangling that they had to contend with that caused a suspension of their operations, however, they should be resuming cleanups in the very near future.

So, one thing to keep in mind is that a sign promoting open carry may exceed the PC limits under CalTrans rules for deciding who may receive a permit.
If we do it, I get to hold the little horn.

leoffensive

imported post

A ECNALG wrote:

we have a minuteman kook in my area on the 8. ive been given intructions not to talk to him. apparently hes a problem. i dont like the minutemen at all a sign of theres was knocked down and they sued caltrans over it cause the sign wasnt immediately replaced or some crap like that(its not an important sign so things like speedlimits and stop signs get priority over it) and ended up winning a bunch of money. i look at them as murderers and crooks!